Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Doc out for the year, Thomas is a minor injury to Simmo away from a call-up to the seniors I reckon. Ditto an injury to Wright (unless Murph goes forward).

Gonna be important with our young side to have vocal leaders around the ground, and while Thomas may not be first choice with a fully fit list, he's certainly not far down the pecking order for that particular role.

All others being fit, I think he's the perfect candidate for VFL senior mentor in 2018.

Though if his body is feeling good and his confidence is building, who knows, he could have a couple more quality years in him.
Whether it is Simmo out or Wright, or someone else, any of Dow, O’Brien, Macreadie, Lamb, Garlett, Mullet, Polson, Kerr, Shaw, Graham and Kerridge should get a game before Thomas.

Thomas’ best chance of a game is perhaps one of the legs when we have a 6 day break. We have 7 lots of 6 day breaks.

SOS is improving the 18-24 current ranked players, thats why guys like Mullet and Shaw have been added over Boekhorst
Spot on. I would say the 18-30 on our list ...

The 22nd player in the Consensus 22 is between Lang and Dow, and we have Macreadie, Lamb, Garlett, O’Brien, Mullett, Polson and Kerr missing out on the Consensus 22 ... with Docherty a long term injury too ...

With the exception of Gibbs, the players retired or that we delisted were probably in our bottom 15, and the players we brought in are significant upgrades ...

Gorringe - Lobbe
Jaksch - TDK
Korcheck - Shaw
Armfield - LO’b
Buckley - O’Shea
Boekhorst - Garlett
Sumner - Lang
Smedts - Dow
White - Schumacher
Palmer - Mullett
Gallucci -
Sheehan - McDaid
Gibbs - Kennedy

The lack of love for Daisy is not entirely rational.
  1. He's been expensive for the output we've had from him. (Not his fault - we paid his market value back when we recruited him, but he was hampered by injury. That shoulder was particularly cruel, 1 minute into season 2015.)
  2. He is an unwelcome reminder of the failed Malthouse regime.
  3. We let Betts go at the same time as we recruited him and he's suffered from the contrast in fortunes, with Betts being a star for the Crows.
  4. Unwelcome reminder of the dismal McGuane trade of the '90s.
None of this is Daisy's fault. He came to the club, accepting the deal we willingly offered him and has given his best and been injured in the service of our club. Letting Betts walk out the door was our bad, not Daisy's.
I hope he has a late career vein of great form and tears it up next season.
Entirely rational.

Hasn’t performed, we gave up a fair chunk of our salary cap for him, and we missed out on the Betts FA compensation instead.

Gorringe - Lobbe
Jaksch - TDK
Korcheck - Shaw
Armfield - LO’b
Buckley - O’Shea
Boekhorst - Garlett
Sumner - Lang
Smedts - Dow
White - Schumacher
Palmer - Mullett
Gallucci -
Sheehan - McDaid
Gibbs - Kennedy

Gorringe - R/F - TDK
Jaksch - D/F - O'Shea
Korcheck - R - Lobbe
Armfield - F/M/D - Garlett
Buckley - G/OM/SF - Mullett
Boekhorst - OM/SF - Lang
Sumner - SF - DOW
Smedts - OM/U - Shaw
White - D/U - Schumacher
Palmer - M/F - LOB
Gallucci - SF -
Sheehan - MD - McDaid
Gibbs - M - Kennedy

Like to think better comparisons........Dow the big outrider, otherwise pretty close in type. Other than Gibbs on exposed form,
all upgrades (most significant)

Had a chat with an Irish mate who is in the AFL system tonight. Asked about Cillian McDaid and his response was 'the kid is absolutely lethal'. Said that he was genuinely unsure about which foot was his preferred as he is that good on both sides. Give him time and we could have another Irish flyer off half back.

I know nothing of the kid, but i rank him as like having another mid 2nd Rd'er for free. That's about the success rate of these Irish kids of his rating.

He's a big bonus. A shot for nothing.

Entirely rational.

Hasn’t performed, we gave up a fair chunk of our salary cap for him, and we missed out on the Betts FA compensation instead.

• Again, is this Thomas's fault?
  • Hasn't performed to expectations, sure. (We were hoping we'd get Thomas of 2010.) But he's apparently performed well enough to still be getting games and still be on our list, like it or not.
  • The shoulder injury of 2015 was really cruel, since he'd had a full pre season and was in great shape. He didn't re-injure the ankle that we took a punt on. We'll never know what we might have seen from Thomas if not for that shoulder. He basically lost another entire season, so I guess we're giving him that year back.
  • I doubt he's still costing us a "fair chunk", so no point holding that against him.
  • Clearly SOS/Bolts still feel he has a role to play, so there's no point in whining about it.
I hope he has a great season, because that would be good for the club and good for the youngsters around him.
If not, so be it - he'll be gone at the end of the season.

Had a chat with an Irish mate who is in the AFL system tonight. Asked about Cillian McDaid and his response was 'the kid is absolutely lethal'. Said that he was genuinely unsure about which foot was his preferred as he is that good on both sides. Give him time and we could have another Irish flyer off half back.
I read this entire post with a thick Irish accent. Try it. Makes it so much more authentic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thomas ran rings around Maxwell as a player. Maxwell obviously a great leader.

I couldn’t fit daisy in my best 22...but wouldn’t be surprised if he lines up in round 1. Bolton rates him..
Check out maxwell v Thomas in the head to head stats
I know complet different players and positions but the stats for a Backman imo still rate better than thomas’

Check out maxwell v Thomas in the head to head stats
I know complet different players and positions but the stats for a Backman imo still rate better than thomas’

I don't recall at any stage, to Maxwell being referred to as the best player in the league, at any one time.

If Thomas plays next year, it's because he's needed for whatever reason Bolton deems that to be as he did this year and if not, then he's simply not up to it, or a better option has presented.

Not sure what we're even discussing this any more. It's starting to come across as a personal dislike of Thomas, now.

Whether it is Simmo out or Wright, or someone else, any of Dow, O’Brien, Macreadie, Lamb, Garlett, Mullet, Polson, Kerr, Shaw, Graham and Kerridge should get a game before Thomas.

Thomas’ best chance of a game is perhaps one of the legs when we have a 6 day break. We have 7 lots of 6 day breaks.

Byrne, Jones, Marchbank
O'Brien, Weitering, Williamson

Charlie, Casboult, Pickett
SOS, McKay, Garlett

Development year, taking Doc/Simmo and Wright out of those lines leaves a lot of young, inexperienced players, and the couple of older blokes aren't exactly leadership-types either.

As I've said, I think he'd be a great asset to the VFL development part of things, and any injuries/management resulting in kids getting dropped should see other kids getting a look-in. But if one of our few senior leaders were to go down, Daisy would be an appropriate replacement (pending form).

I don't recall at any stage, to Maxwell being referred to as the best player in the league, at any one time.

If Thomas plays next year, it's because he's needed for whatever reason Bolton deems that to be as he did this year and if not, then he's simply not up to it, or a better option has presented.

Not sure what we're even discussing this any more. It's starting to come across as a personal dislike of Thomas, now.
No ones made it personal it's all about our best 22. He comes across as a real nice bloke, and as you said if he was fit and back to his best and played every game next year it's a win for our club. I think he will struggle under a quick ball movement precise kicking game plan. I'ts only my opinion but hey we all have one right all wrong.

Not at all
If I was Thomas I would have taken contract in a second
Next year time will tell

No ones made it personal it's all about our best 22. He comes across as a real nice bloke, and as you said if he was fit and back to his best and played every game next year it's a win for our club. I think he will struggle under a quick ball movement precise kicking game plan. I'ts only my opinion but hey we all have one right all wrong.

I don't have him in my best 22 either and neither do I have Casboult, yet when we roll out the new year, they'll likely both be there.
Needless to say, there's a lot to play out and now that we know (think we know) that Weitering will be playing in the back-line, I find it a little more difficult to lay-out what our starting 22 may be.

What I think I'd like right now, given we seem as though we're going to present a more attacking game-style:

Byrne Jones Plowman
Simpson Marchbank Docherty Mullett/O'Shea

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
SPS Kennedy Williamson..............................That may be as good as the centreline gets for now.

CCurnow Weitering Pickett
Wright Mckay Silvagni..................................If too tall, maybe Silvagni comes out

ECurnow Fisher Cuningham.....and ideally Garlett.

That's what I feel could be a good start point, yet we're likely to see Casboult, Thomas and even Kerridge involved and possibly even Lamb.
If that was to be the case, four players have to come out and we haven't even got Dow in here yet. Lot is going to change.

I don't have him in my best 22 either and neither do I have Casboult, yet when we roll out the new year, they'll likely both be there.
Needless to say, there's a lot to play out and now that we know (think we know) that Weitering will be playing in the back-line, I find it a little more difficult to lay-out what our starting 22 may be.

What I think I'd like right now, given we seem as though we're going to present a more attacking game-style:

Byrne Jones Plowman
Simpson Marchbank Docherty Mullett/O'Shea

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
SPS Kennedy Williamson..............................That may be as good as the centreline gets for now.

CCurnow Weitering Pickett
Wright Mckay Silvagni..................................If too tall, maybe Silvagni comes out

ECurnow Fisher Cuningham.....and ideally Garlett.

That's what I feel could be a good start point, yet we're likely to see Casboult, Thomas and even Kerridge involved and possibly even Lamb.
If that was to be the case, four players have to come out and we haven't even got Dow in here yet. Lot is going to change.
Agree, unless Santa brings him a new kicking foot i think Mckay can have Cashboults spot.

Casboult's conversion has been very good under Sav stints 1 & 2.

Sounds so weird, but kicking is actually far from Levi's biggest flaw. That would be his lack of impact in general play. He doesn't really chase, tackle, decoy lead or anything else.

He's an old school FF in a modern day game. Which is only OK if you're Tom Hawkins and kicking 50-60 goals a year.

Having said that, I've picked him in my round 1 team, hoping like hell McKay develops quickly and replaces him ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back