Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rightly so though. We also would have taken Roos, should have he been available.

Had have we not gone through our structural changes, Bolton would have likely already been in the firing line.

Was SOS just a luck appointment or did we actually hit one bullseye?
Ten years ago i thought he would come back to us as a line coach, to pinch him from GWS as a List Manager is definately a bullseye.

Gee, I'd like to hear from some past "failed" players - particularly the group of death 2010. Their thoughts on whether they really gave it their all, whether the club supported/developed/nurtured them sufficiently well. Their ideas on what went wrong. Sure that might be a place for whinging and excuse making and much of it would be subjective stuff but there would be useful info in there. At least those that continually belt Rogers and Hughes and the like (much of it justified) could see that there is more to list building than plucking stars.

:tldr

He’s an AFL coach. What do you expect? No accountability and no expectation? Give me a break.

Bolts is not soft. He can handle it. 100% sure of that.
Trying to find where I suggested Bolton to be soft. I can't find it.

Bolton isn't soft, but there are no excuses available to him and he'd know that.
Expectations would be higher internally than for what we here may be happy with.

Disagree that Bolton has 'no excuses' available to him. As I have said previously,, this year he has to show a much better 'whole of ground game plan' in action - THAT will be his benchmark.

The new coaches have even spoken about the task of getting the list to play a much higher quality 'transitional' game plan - meaning move the ball faster and better from end to end. As this will be the first year that such a game plan will be expected to be seen, it would be unfair to expect it to work flawlessly from the get go.

Bolton will have plenty of competing players to choose from though - something he has not had in his first two years.

If by some miracle, the backs can handle Docherty's absence, the mids start winning center bounces and set play ball ups and SPS/Murphy/Cuningham/Garlett start hitting forward targets - this side could surprise many with who Carlton post wins against in 2018.

If however, Cripps/Kreuzer/Kennedy win ball and it is wasted in the hands of the kicking mids - it will be frustrating for the forwards and for supporters.

A decent midfield and some alternative tall target(s) in McKay and Kerr to help Casboult - could see him kick 50+ goals in 2018 - if he had a footy brain he would be a monty for 50-60 - I am under no such illusions....

Max pressure would be on SPS/Fisher/Polson/Cuningham/C.Curnow/McKay/SOJ/Kerr - they need to become 4 quarter quality players in 2018 - because Dow/LOB/Lang and the new kids will want to play - all the kids are being chased and hunted now.

There's clearly a lot of quality talent there for all to see and SOS has done a mighty good job in compiling this group for Bolton.
No pressure on Bolton? All the pressure will be on Bolton, as there's no escaping it. The job is being done elsewhere.

Can't see too much of what may have been missed, by way of recruiting nor drafting, for Bolton.
Docherty going down would likely have put a big hole in his plans though. That we'll have to understand, but otherwise, most coaches would likely be quite happy with what has been delivered to them. As it happens, there won't be any pressure on SOS. It's all on Bolton.

Plenty of pressure on Bolton. That I have no doubt and it will increase. Honeymoon over.
What I meant though, is that we aren't after just a premiership. We want sustained success and to keep building that list now for that!

Gee, I'd like to hear from some past "failed" players - particularly the group of death 2010. Their thoughts on whether they really gave it their all, whether the club supported/developed/nurtured them sufficiently well. Their ideas on what went wrong. Sure that might be a place for whinging and excuse making and much of it would be subjective stuff but there would be useful info in there. At least those that continually belt Rogers and Hughes and the like (much of it justified) could see that there is more to list building than plucking stars.

I'm not sure anyone spent time denying or defending our development structures. The most relevant evidence though is in whether there was a noticeable change in list quality following the Hughes /Rogers departure and SoS taking the reins. We've all been observing the club from different viewpoints so any information collation would only help, someone has to collect it though.

Rightly so though. We also would have taken Roos, should have he been available.

Had have we not gone through our structural changes, Bolton would have likely already been in the firing line.

Was SOS just a luck appointment or did we actually hit one bullseye?

I think SOS said OI numpties I'm coming back to fix this s**t tip that is my beloved carlton.

Make way fools.

Ten years ago i thought he would come back to us as a line coach, to pinch him from GWS as a List Manager is definately a bullseye.

Thank god he left that path behind and commentary path behind and went this way. I actually used to see him often at games when he was GWS guy a few years back. Not sure if those days just watching for fun or working in those moments. Clearly always had a keen eye for the game even after retiring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall suggesting several years ago that I'd have MM coaching us in a heartbeat. Come at me.

I remember going to Bunnies Disco in the 80's wearing a frilly pirate shirt and Stallone 'Cobra' style leather trenchcoat.

We all make mistakes.

I remember going to Bunnies Disco in the 80's wearing a frilly pirate shirt and Stallone 'Cobra' style leather trenchcoat.

We all make mistakes.

So that was a mistake? Mark me down for another one then.
Only went to Bunnies once in full new romantic garb. The ladies always liked it for some reason.... The men?.... Not so much.

Went back and looked at some of the older Malthouse threads - I was defending Mick by saying the list wasn't up to it and needed a rebuild. I was right, and got excited by the number and supposed quality of the newbies we were bringing in, but it was half arsed and fell in a heap.

It really was a perfect storm in the end. Malthouse crashing and burning very publicly, and our list managers being given the arse. I thought we'd started a rebuild but I was waaaaay wrong. We have now though. Thank God.

So that was a mistake? Mark me down for another one then.
Only went to Bunnies once in full new romantic garb. The ladies always liked it for some reason.... The men?.... Not so much.

Haha.. I had a big New Romantic stage! Ultravox, Spandau Ballet, Depeche Mode, Ultravox....ahhh good days.

I had a perm then as well :D

I thought that was Ferntree Gully.
Nero's Fiddle was theme restaurant in Nunawading from memory.

Ahhhh.. yeah I think you're right. I remembered it being the theme restaurant though.

Ahhhh.. yeah I think you're right. I remembered it being the theme restaurant though.

Maybe there was two Nero's Fiddle. Very possibly.
I only went to the one in Nunawading. Have this strange vague recall now I thinking about it of nearly getting molested by older female worker at Christmas work party there when I was probably just 18. *, makes me think of The Office show. Used to goto Stylus for a bit. From memory it getting burnt down was what stopped us.

Maybe there was two Nero's Fiddle. Very possibly.
I only went to the one in Nunawading. Have this strange vague recall now I thinking about it of nearly getting molested by older female worker at Christmas work party there when I was probably just 18. ****, makes me think of The Office show. Used to goto Stylus for a bit. From memory it getting burnt down was what stopped us.

There was only one Nero's Fiddle Theatre Restaurant. It was in Mitcham and operated between 1979 and 1990.

The owners closed it and turned it into a different style restaurant which ultimately closed a year later.

In 1991 my brother and I remodelled the restaurant, also adding a takeaway pizza section and named it back to Nero's (without the show). The amazing thing was that we were still getting calls for bookings for the theatre restaurant when we finished up there in 2007, 17 years after the shows had ended.

Stylus was at The Swagman in Ferntree Gully which indeed burnt down.

There was only one Nero's Fiddle Theatre Restaurant. It was in Mitcham and operated between 1979 and 1990.

The owners closed it and turned it into a different style restaurant which ultimately closed a year later.

In 1991 my brother and I remodelled the restaurant, also adding a takeaway pizza section and named it back to Nero's (without the show). The amazing thing was that we were still getting calls for the theatre restaurant when we finished up there in 2007, 17 years after the shows had ended.
ah, yes, Mitcham it was indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back