Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to add in Rayner, I have seen his highlights from his first couple of games this year... looks a top sort of prospect. If we don't end up on the bottom though, I suspect that there is no way we are going to get him!

I watched him live last weekend. Moves very well. Strong player. He captain the side too so also has leadership qualities too which is good. Btw worpel dominated yesterday

I know Tuohy was about money (felt under-valued), but just not convinced it was the right move (for us to let him go so easily I mean). Did he mouth off or something and put someone's nose out of joint? He seemed a bit miffed/quietly bitter when he left. With Tuohy still down back I reckon we could be more confident now about moving Doc more into the midfield. Geelong, so far, have done very well out of us! Geelong and Adelaide top of the table thanks to their Carlton trades?
Tuohy trade enabled us to get Marchbank, and Pickett, without losing our #5 which we got SPS with.

We trade a a 27 yo for a 20 yo gun KPD, Pickett, exchange of picks and get Smedts in the process.

Tuohy's a good player, but we want great players in 5 years time not now. It's about the long game DB.

I know what the series of trades ultimately got us, but I'm still a bit miffed of what output we've gotten so far from Smedts versus what we could have had from Tuohy.

We really do need to set up how we move the ball from HB to HF a lot better, because he's shining in that role at Geelong.
Completely dudded by that trade if we finish 18th and they finish 1st.
C'mon guys.....we all know Smedts was the steak knives in that deal. We've seen plenty out of Marchbank.

Last edited:
I know what the series of trades ultimately got us, but I'm still a bit miffed of what output we've gotten so far from Smedts versus what we could have had from Tuohy.

We really do need to set up how we move the ball from HB to HF a lot better, because he's shining in that role at Geelong.

How can you complain about that trade when Tuohy was made an offer to leave he just couldn't refuse ??

Casboult has some tools.

Just not enough.

Serves a purpose for now.
I wonder how well he'd do for a contender. Like Geelong or Adelaide.

If he is scoring 4 goals for us in a game like that where we only score 6 total, imagine what he would do with a side that has decent entries.

If he is scoring 4 goals for us in a game like that where we only score 6 total, imagine what he would do with a side that has decent entries.

I reckon worse because in good sides the scrutiny really comes on to different aspects of game. Need to run to right spots, be clean, do the basics well and have a very good defensive side. Whilst we just bomb it in it suits him. Doing a good job for us whilst we rebuild but not the future

I think the point he was making about Tuohy was we may have gave him away for a one pick downgrade.
The trade is looking like pick 19 and Tuohy for Marchbank and Pickett. To win that trade Pickett has to become a player because we could have got an out of contract Marchbank for a lot less. Also the only reason I think me made the trade is because GWS demanded a first rounder.
(I'm not putting Smedts in because I take that as a loss taking him.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tuohy trade enabled us to get Marchbank, and Pickett, without losing our #5 which we got SPS with.

We trade a a 27 yo for a 20 yo gun KPD, Pickett, exchange of picks and get Smedts in the process.

Tuohy's a good player, but we want great players in 5 years time not now. It's about the long game DB.

C'mon guys.....we all know Smedts was the steak knives in that deal. We've seen plenty out of Marchbank.

How can you complain about that trade when Tuohy was made an offer to leave he just couldn't refuse ??
The net trade was OK, what I'm talking about is:

Tuohy + our 2018 2nd rounder
for
Smedts + their 2018 first rounder + #63 (Polson)

We took on Smedts' contract as well, and the expectation was a position change of 4-8 spots in the draft. So Smedts was arguably valued the same as Tuohy, if all else was holding equal. With one year on his contract, that probably means Tuohy held a tiny bit more value despite being uncontracted, but it was so marginal. If Smedts doesn't come up, we overpaid significantly to get that stage of the deal over the line.

I wonder if Geelong would have given us pick 40 instead, or what it would have taken to get Darcy Lang over to us. Maybe we paid a price to outmanoeuvre Geelong for Polson?

Last edited:

Happy with the first part of the trade but would of liked a 4th rounder as well

Doubt he would get a game at the Crows with Tex and Lynch there plus Jenkins when fit.

Talk about nit-picking for the sake of it.

Bloody hell, some people just cannot be pleased .......... :rolleyes:
Totally agree. GWS wanted to keep Marchbank and clearly said first rounder or no deal. SOS works his magic to move on a player in the wrong age demographic and we snare a 20 year old player who looks like he is going to be 10 year gun and people are complaining about the steak knives. I am happy if the Cats do ok out of the deal as they were more than fair with what they gave us for Henderson. They could have low balled us after Henderson nominated them and took away any leverage we might have had.

Totally agree. GWS wanted to keep Marchbank and clearly said first rounder or no deal. SOS works his magic to move on a player in the wrong age demographic and we snare a 20 year old player who looks like he is going to be 10 year gun and people are complaining about the steak knives. I am happy if the Cats do ok out of the deal as they were more than fair with what they gave us for Henderson. They could have low balled us after Henderson nominated them and took away any leverage we might have had.

Ah well, he's gone... Short term pain then I guess continuing to watch ex-Carlton players tear it up - so frustrating! Double-doses of cod liver oil for all long-suffering CFC supporters!

Casboult has some tools.

Just not enough.

Serves a purpose for now.
the forward line will be built around him until at the very earliest end of next season.

even if harry mckay makes enormous strides in the next 18 months, we've seen at collingwood what happened after they let cloke go and gave the keys to forward line to 21 year old darcy moore with 30 games under his belt. he's gone backwards.

Talk about nit-picking for the sake of it.

Bloody hell, some people just cannot be pleased .......... :rolleyes:

Please read my post another 2 or 3 times, thanks

Good point about Henderson, and something to consider regarding keeping good working relations with other clubs at the trade table.

The net trade was OK, what I'm talking about is:

Tuohy + our 2018 2nd rounder
for
Smedts + their 2018 first rounder + #63 (Polson)

We took on Smedts' contract as well, and the expectation was a position change of 4-8 spots in the draft. So Smedts was arguably valued the same as Tuohy, if all else was holding equal. With one year on his contract, that probably means Tuohy held a tiny bit more value despite being uncontracted, but it was so marginal. If Smedts doesn't come up, we overpaid significantly to get that stage of the deal over the line.

I wonder if Geelong would have given us pick 40 instead, or what it would have taken to get Darcy Lang over to us. Maybe we paid a price to outmanoeuvre Geelong for Polson?
Just a means to an end my friend. SOS has to look at the big picture, so being realistic, the net trade is really the only way I'd evaluate it. You need to deal with other list managers in good faith as there's a fair chance you're going to have to deal with them again next year. It's not like selling someone a TV and then you don't see them again for another 10 years. I'd argue that we got marginally more than Henderson was probably worth the year before. Being prepared to play on the swings and round-a-bouts allows you to achieve the bigger picture. That's why Justin "Flognacious" Reid's actions were so short-sighted.

Just a means to an end my friend. SOS has to look at the big picture, so being realistic, the net trade is really the only way I'd evaluate it. You need to deal with other list managers in good faith as there's a fair chance you're going to have to deal with them again next year. It's not like selling someone a TV and then you don't see them again for another 10 years. I'd argue that we got marginally more than Henderson was probably worth the year before. Being prepared to play on the swings and round-a-bouts allows you to achieve the bigger picture. That's why Justin "Flognacious" Reid's actions were so short-sighted.

We also put henderson on ice for them as to make sure he arrived able to play straight away! It was a very well manufactured deal on both ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back