Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree. GWS wanted to keep Marchbank and clearly said first rounder or no deal. SOS works his magic to move on a player in the wrong age demographic and we snare a 20 year old player who looks like he is going to be 10 year gun and people are complaining about the steak knives. I am happy if the Cats do ok out of the deal as they were more than fair with what they gave us for Henderson. They could have low balled us after Henderson nominated them and took away any leverage we might have had.

Too many people look at what we could have got. Just negative. I swear they look for reasons to be unhappy or have a whinge. Have a look at what we (SOS) have acheived over the past 2 years and most should be very happy. I know I am :)

Just a means to an end my friend. SOS has to look at the big picture, so being realistic, the net trade is really the only way I'd evaluate it. You need to deal with other list managers in good faith as there's a fair chance you're going to have to deal with them again next year. It's not like selling someone a TV and then you don't see them again for another 10 years. I'd argue that we got marginally more than Henderson was probably worth the year before. Being prepared to play on the swings and round-a-bouts allows you to achieve the bigger picture. That's why Justin "Flognacious" Reid's actions were so short-sighted.
As I just brought up in another thread, if all we get out of these GWS deals long term is Plowman and Marchbank (not doubting Sumner and Pickett's talent, just their fitness), then it's Menzel, Tuohy and probably a high-20s pick in terms of what we gave up over the journey.

Menzel is one who may come good if Adelaide are patient with his knee issues and he works hard, but the rest is of current and future value. We need at least one more long term player out of these trades so far.

Pickett looks the most likely, but his fitness is awful right now. Between he and Sumner, we're at least giving it a shake.

Ah well, he's gone... Short term pain then I guess continuing to watch ex-Carlton players tear it up - so frustrating! Double-doses of cod liver oil for all long-suffering CFC supporters!

Once they are gone they are gone. I don't see them as ex Carlton players. They are just the opposition

Tuohy trade enabled us to get Marchbank, and Pickett, without losing our #5 which we got SPS with.

We trade a a 27 yo for a 20 yo gun KPD, Pickett, exchange of picks and get Smedts in the process.

Tuohy's a good player, but we want great players in 5 years time not now. It's about the long game DB.

Spot on

I know Tuohy was about money (felt under-valued), but just not convinced it was the right move (for us to let him go so easily I mean). Did he mouth off or something and put someone's nose out of joint? He seemed a bit miffed/quietly bitter when he left. With Tuohy still down back I reckon we could be more confident now about moving Doc more into the midfield. Geelong, so far, have done very well out of us! Geelong and Adelaide top of the table thanks to their Carlton trades?
Marchbank tho

Totally agree. GWS wanted to keep Marchbank and clearly said first rounder or no deal. SOS works his magic to move on a player in the wrong age demographic and we snare a 20 year old player who looks like he is going to be 10 year gun and people are complaining about the steak knives. I am happy if the Cats do ok out of the deal as they were more than fair with what they gave us for Henderson. They could have low balled us after Henderson nominated them and took away any leverage we might have had.

When Byrne gets back and if ever Sheehan makes it onto the park?

The loss of Tuohy will be much less obvious - and the deal will look much, much better!

Visited the GWS List Management thread.

Wow there are some cocky buggers over there given the list of players and ongoing concessions they were gifted!

There were some posters asking why any GWS player would enjoy their footy at Carlton?

I replied that an extra $5K per week in their bank account and playing in front of crowds greater than 9000 people would make their footy more "enjoyable".

One of these posts was deleted as "irrelevant".

Funny that...............

I'd be looking to trade Gibbs to Adelaide for a 1st Rounder < Pick 15 or a 1st Rounder >15 and their Future 3rd Rounder.
I'd trade that 1st Rounder >15 + that Future 3rd Rounder to GWS for Hopper and Flynn. (Flynn is a young ruck who has shown some aptitude as a KPF).
I'm yet to be sold on M.Kennedy so I'd pass on him. That's just me though.
Rowe will be 30 this year and the Pies could desperately do with a KPD. Would we get a second for him???
Even though he drives me nuts at times I'd hang onto Cas for another 12 months, especially if we part with Rowe.
I wouldn't be so quick to part with our 2018 1st until you know who's available (apart from BOSS) and get a feel for where we're likely to finish.

I went to the Northern Blues V AIS game at Etihad. I know people get wet knickers over Rayner, Stephenson, O'Brien, D.Fogarty and Worpel, but here are a couple of others that took my fancy.
  • Luke Davies-Uniacke: Big, hard, genuine inside beast who comfortably held his own against a strong NB side when not many did. Had 22 possessions and half-a-dozen clearances, but what's most impressive is that he's able to spread and link up after the initial contest. Almost has an AFL-ready body, has good pace, nice disposal, works really hard and has a tank that allowed him to run out the game comfortably. Wasn't unusual to see him follow up his own possessions and get it again in the contest further downfield. Not afraid to take off down the ground with ball in hand after winning it in the contest. Although he won't be quite as big as Cripps, he'll still be a monster when he finishes growing and his body fills out. Was easily the best AIS player and he'll be right in the mix to go at No1.
  • Hunter Clarke: Medium defender who looks like a smaller version of LDU. Good aerial skills and knows when to mark and when to punch. Comfortably held his own against much bigger and taller players. Excellent pace and a good tank that allowed him to power away from the opposition and out of the D50 on more than one occasion. Has a bionic foot that comfortably launched the ball 60m+ quite often. Having said that, he needs to learn to pick out a team mate rather than just bomb it, because his kicking is a real weapon. Would be absolute dynamite at AFL level on the wing.
Like you, I think our priority needs to be quality inside beasts, especially if we're to make the most of Fisher & SPS. Hopper & Davies-Uniacke would be a good start.

I tend to agree. From what I have seen of Luke Davies-Uniake I am quite impressed with. I know people are going gaga over Fogarty and Worpel but id be looking in this kids direction personally. Also impressed with Joel Garner and Lochie O'Brien.

I know what the series of trades ultimately got us, but I'm still a bit miffed of what output we've gotten so far from Smedts versus what we could have had from Tuohy.

We really do need to set up how we move the ball from HB to HF a lot better, because he's shining in that role at Geelong.

Sorry Jimmae, but why would you be miffed about a guy who uses the ball very well in the two games he has played.

Visited the GWS List Management thread.

Wow there are some cocky buggers over there given the list of players and ongoing concessions they were gifted!

There were some posters asking why any GWS player would enjoy their footy at Carlton?

I replied that an extra $5K per week in their bank account and playing in front of crowds greater than 9000 people would make their footy more "enjoyable".

One of these posts was deleted as "irrelevant".

Funny that...............

Been called deluded and a dreamer several times in the last week. Andre the Giant killed it with his last post. Comedy gold!:D;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone not think the Hendo trade was arranged as early as mid-season?

I still have a soft spot for Tuohy.

But damn he looks wrong in a Geelong jumper.

For some reason I can't. Especially when I heard the reason for his trade request was to chase for a flag.

That's the kind of reason that encourages imbalance between teams in the league. Luckily it was a trade and not FA because we got something out of it.

Players like Betts and Bell (and even Gibbs if he decides to request a trade again) on the other hand will always have my support, as they have indicated their love for the club. People who boo those players are brainless morons.

Because he's so safe with the footy and doesn't do enough in the 1v1s, so far.

Apparently not physical enough or something, so someone said a few days ago. TBH, I'd rather someone safe with the ball who uses it well than watch Kerridge or Daisy shank it to the opposition. That's me anyway.

Apparently not physical enough or something, so someone said a few days ago. TBH, I'd rather someone safe with the ball who uses it well than watch Kerridge or Daisy shank it to the opposition. That's me anyway.
I'd rather players who are decisive and open the game up, whether that's via a chip sideways or a 50 m flat pass, I don't care.

Not that Kerridge really shows himself as much of either at this stage.

I'd rather players who are decisive and open the game up, whether that's via a chip sideways or a 50 m flat pass, I don't care.

Not that Kerridge really shows himself as much of either at this stage.

TBH, Smedts was getting a bit of a hammering from some here for doing just that. Chipping the ball around and maintaining possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back