Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah SOS and co. have a tough task prioritising needs. I see us three midfielders short, so would love the club to prioritise there.
I agree that B.Cox is, on exposed form, the most attractive of the KPP prospects, being skilled, mobile, combative and able to play
at both ends of the ground, (falls marginally short of TheSheik height parameters) as I stated earlier, the development of Jaksch is
the key. If he comes on, we have no urgent need for KPP, simple list turn over, best available. We should get the answer on Friday
where the club rates the young talls. On paper, barring injury or JW going forward, our defence is set for a decade. Club has high
hopes for Harry, with Charlie, Jack, resting ruck and some smaller options we MAY be set up forward too. If Kerr was to slide to
#48, I would not object to SOS calling him out, has shown sufficient, with recent improvement to warrant a spot on merit aside
from his family ties.

A Cameron type ruck/forward would be just the ticket. Interestingly, his club rep compares him most favourably to young Goddard,
who is one of the higher rated 18yo rucks. Supposedly more mobility and better mark and scoreboard performance. While a little older,
has earned an AFL spot.....really hoping will be us, given our list profile. Would allow that big presence up forward while Harry is
maturing (on the assumption that Levi is not in our long term plans).

Oh for a crystal ball.......is there any substance to the Fyfe, 2 metre Peter rumours?.....what a difference they would make, virtually
immediate contenders 2018.

I agree that are younger KPPs' such as McKay, Weitering, Marchbank and even to some extent JGM are exciting prospects, but have never embraced if's. SOS has always shown a propensity to load up on KPPs', I hope that continues. As for Cameron or Goddard, the risk is low with a suggested late pick.

As for the crystal ball, that still falls in line with the if's, which are only bonuses on sound strategy

We have 12 players on the list who are 195cm or taller.

Of that 12, there are only 3 or 4 who are proven or we have any genuine faith in.

To add insult to injury, one of them is a midfielder (and a damn good one at that).

are you 4 foot 10 in real life?

Don't even have 10 players on the list with 100 games experience.

We have not been good at selection, development or retention for a long time. Hope that has changed for the better.

Jones was more consistent this year than Casboult and yet Levi is considered an undroppable by the match committee.

Don't get me wrong, Liam has a low ceiling but Levi has an even lower floor. But I think Jones is reviled more by Malthouse's decision to recruit him and that we've seen Casboult grow from seed.

So the MC disagrees with you then?

You're not seriously suggesting the match committee have a clue? :)

on this one, for sure. Jones is not as good aplayer. Granted this is likely to be the last year for both of them, but the 3 yr contract to Jones is as bad as antyhign we've done in the last 10 years.

on this one, for sure. Jones is not as good aplayer. Granted this is likely to be the last year for both of them, but the 3 yr contract to Jones is as bad as antyhign we've done in the last 10 years.
contracts, schmontracts. I'm talking about the weekly side.

Levi was absolutely terrible for much of the year. Do you pick a player you've drawn a line through (Jones) who has been reasonable in the VFL or do you keep rewarding poor performances?

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2017

According to the above we currently have the equal second youngest list heading into 2017.

Obviously they are just numbers and don't necessarily tell the whole story, but it is a very welcome sight regardless and goes some way to showing just how much things have changed over the past two years.

According to the above we currently have the equal second youngest list heading into 2017.

Obviously they are just numbers and don't necessarily tell the whole story, but it is a very welcome sight regardless and goes some way to showing just how much things have changed over the past two years.

I think that is without Sheehan and if we do take Alex Silvagni we will jump up several spots. Very close between 1 and 17.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that is without Sheehan and if we do take.Alex Silvagni we will jump up several spots. Very close between 1 and 17.
Spot on, the analysis by ordinality is useless here; we're in the main pack, and Brisbane are the only outliers.

Our experience gap isn't great, but we're unlikely to make that up in the rookie draft (and Silvagni would lower it).

Our list will be even younger at the end of the 2017 trade/draft periods

Exactly.
Hopefully Thomas will be gone. Jones will almost be the first to be delisted. KJ will be line ball, as will Casboult.
Get some more kids in, maybe a FA or two, and our list will almost be unrecognisable from the one we had 3 years ago.

Our list will be even younger at the end of the 2017 trade/draft periods

Agree totally our team wiil be younger and more talented then.
I'm expecting another 8 players to be shed and at least 2 to 3 trades of which one we may have no choice.
Also certain we'll focused on least a couple of quality top end FA too.
2018 will be the year that good signs will emerge.
Go Baggers

Agree totally our team wiil be younger and more talented then.
I'm expecting another 8 players to be shed and at least 2 to 3 trades of which one we may have no choice.
Also certain we'll focused on least a couple of quality top end FA too.
2018 will be the year that good signs will emerge.
Go Baggers
We may need to bring in some experience next year.
As HBF said, it's likely that Thomas will be gone, and Jones. Army will likely retire and transition into more coaching. Simpson might pull the pin. Gibbs might be traded. Who knows how much longer Kreuzer's body holds up. If Rowe gets pushed out of the side he might hang the boots up. How long was Silvagni's contract for? At 29 and a long history of injury, he might not last more than a season, especially if our backline stays consistent.
That's potentially a lot of experience that could be out the door for various reasons. That would leave Murphy and White as our most senior players in that scenario.

We may need to bring in some experience next year.
As HBF said, it's likely that Thomas will be gone, and Jones. Army will likely retire and transition into more coaching. Simpson might pull the pin. Gibbs might be traded. Who knows how much longer Kreuzer's body holds up. If Rowe gets pushed out of the side he might hang the boots up. How long was Silvagni's contract for? At 29 and a long history of injury, he might not last more than a season, especially if our backline stays consistent.
That's potentially a lot of experience that could be out the door for various reasons. That would leave Murphy and White as our most senior players in that scenario.

Then sack Murphy and White too !!
It's absolutely imperative that we have the youngest list in the comp ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back