Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrisbaneCFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I am not suggesting Rowe is a better KPD than Rance. Derp.

I'm just saying many people see Rowe as a simple gorilla FB who is not really good enough for AFL but gets picked because we have no one else.

And that stat is a pretty good argument that perhaps many underestimate how effective a gorilla he is.

Sure, IMO, Rowe is limited as a KPD, regardless of what those particular set of stats say. I think most of us agree that the role he is playing is a positive for the time being. I don't believe that many people are calling for him to be dumped anytime this season at least, as the poster alluded to originally.

BlueRenaissance

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

I'm just saying many people see Rowe as a simple gorilla FB who is not really good enough for AFL but gets picked because we have no one else.

And that stat is a pretty good argument that perhaps many underestimate how effective a gorilla he is.

Admirable defending of our players Ferris. But let's be honest, you can make an argument based on stats for almost every player in the AFL - defeats the purpose when we know by eye they are poorer versions of other players.

I don't mind Rowe at full back right now because we have nothing better on offer but he really isnt a player you can talk up either.

We hope week to week he does us proud but in the meantime we just avoid using his name and good in the one sentence. Equally does 1%ers well along with complete brainfades. Tracks as a net loss 3 of out 4 games. Does show up every now and then but nowhere near the 50% of games required to be called good.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Admirable defending of our players Ferris. But let's be honest, you can make an argument based on stats for almost every player in the AFL - defeats the purpose when we know by eye they are poorer versions of other players.

I don't mind Rowe at full back right now because we have nothing better on offer but he really isnt a player you can talk up either.

We hope week to week he does us proud but in the meantime we just avoid using his name and good in the one sentence. Equally does 1%ers well along with complete brainfades. Tracks as a net loss 3 of out 4 games. Does show up every now and then but nowhere near the 50% of games required to be called good.
5 games this year and he has been good twice and great once. Thats over your 50% threshold.

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Sure, IMO, Rowe is limited as a KPD, regardless of what those particular set of stats say. I think most of us agree that the role he is playing is a positive for the time being. I don't believe that many people are calling for him to be dumped anytime this season at least, as the poster alluded to originally.

Have you been reading the match preview threads?

Every week there are plenty of posters demanding he be dropped.

I'm with ferrisb - he is way underrated!

Thanks BlueRen.

I'm not normally a stoic defender of players, but you've caught me on a roll.

Let's not forget Rowe also led the league in 1%ers last year.

So he's elite at not conceding goals and 1%ers, what more could you ask of a KPD?

Of course what you could ask for is much cleaner disposal, higher possession rate and more attacking flair. Plus other attributes, I'm sure.

I guess if you think there is room for one 'pure' defender in each team, then he's as good as it gets for THAT role.

If you think the modern game requires more rounded players and you can/should fill your backline with attacking, intercepting, athletic defenders like Weitering, Marchbank and say Macreadie (totally valid argument) then he's pretty redundant.

Under the latter, he might still be needed as a short-term solution as our kindergarten KPDs mature.

So at best, he's a limited but extremely effective KPD.

At worst, he's a stop-gap who offers elite defending but is otherwise highly flawed.

Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton

Is clearly under instruction to punch rather than mark. (For obvious reasons).

Most elements of his defensive game are at least sound. If he took a few of those semi uncontested defensive marks rather than punched, he'd be higher regarded.

Unfairly maligned.

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
one more poster suggests things change quickly after a 20 year drought and I will deadset spew up

Just remember how you felt when The Duke made that smother and kicked the goal.

Way better than Peter Riccardi I bet...

Thanks for mentioning Peter Riccardi, SBYM.

Now all I can think of is his after-the-siren goal against us all those years back.

Now Simon Wiggins, Wayne Brittain and I all feel terrible again.

Thanks for nuthin! :mad:

:p

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
It's going to sound like I have it in for Rowe here, but he was a forward/ruck for 2013, so not sure why he's included in that tally.
I'm assuming here that 'since 2013' refers to stats from the 2013 season until now.

No idea why they couldn't just write '2013 - 2017' on the graphic, but hey.

Thanks for mentioning Peter Riccardi, SBYM.

Now all I can think of is his after-the-siren goal against us all those years back.

Now Simon Wiggins, Wayne Brittain and I all feel terrible again.

Thanks for nuthin! :mad:

:p
And all 3 of you touched it.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
I don't believe that many people are calling for him to be dumped anytime this season at least, as the poster alluded to originally.
It genuinely happens every 2 or 3 weeks, mostly after 1 obvious mistake. You mightn't think it should happen, and most smart fans don't as they can see his value in what he is doing at the moment, but it happens.

Admirable defending of our players Ferris. But let's be honest, you can make an argument based on stats for almost every player in the AFL
You're right. However goals against for defenders isn't just one of those obscure stats to create an argument. It's literally a defenders no.1 job, and he is doing that bit as well as Rance.

I'm not suggesting he's as good as Rance. Clearly Rowe isn't trusted to intercept mark and it's clear he's instruction to just punch, not risk marking. Whereas Rance will outmark and counter attack. My point was more people should understand he's doing a great job in his role for the team. Noone else in the team could come close to what he's done at this point.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
It genuinely happens every 2 or 3 weeks, mostly after 1 obvious mistake. You mightn't think it should happen, and most smart fans don't as they can see his value in what he is doing at the moment, but it happens.

You're right. However goals against for defenders isn't just one of those obscure stats to create an argument. It's literally a defenders no.1 job, and he is doing that bit as well as Rance.

I'm not suggesting he's as good as Rance. Clearly Rowe isn't trusted to intercept mark and it's clear he's instruction to just punch, not risk marking. Whereas Rance will outmark and counter attack. My point was more people should understand he's doing a great job in his role for the team. Noone else in the team could come close to what he's done at this point.

I like Rowe but put Weitering back there and it changes our defence and attack significantly. Weitering is very similar to Rance in that he can beat an opponent and also intercept and create attack. IMO it's a very underrated component.

Get Weitering back with Marchbank Williamson Docherty & Plowman ( and hopefully Byrne) and not only will they gel together but they will start to create and turn defence into attack. At the moment with Rowe & White back (and Simmo struggling) it gets down there and all we do is battle to keep it off the opponent. Very defensive. It's why I would also like to add Buckley whilst Byrne is out. We know he can make mistakes but that ability to run and take on the game is something that we lack.

I'd push Rowe up forward to make a contest and help lock it in with our smalls. Our defensive pressure inside forward 50 is the worst in the league. Last week not one tackle in the first half!

Last edited:

Azul

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 22, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
And all 3 of you touched it.
That is one magic loogie.

6008659.jpg

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Great episode.

Well look, the way I remember it I was walking up the ramp. I was upset about the game. That's when you called me pretty boy. It ticked me off. I started to turn around to say something and as I turned around I saw Roger McDowell behind the bushes over by that gravely road...Anyway he was talking to someone and they were talking to you. I tried to scream out but it was too late. It was already on its way.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
I like Rowe but put Weitering back there and it changes our defence and attack significantly. Weitering is very similar to Rance in that he can beat an opponent and also intercept and create attack. IMO it's a very underrated component.

Get Weitering back with Marchbank Williamson Docherty & Plowman ( and hopefully Byrne) and not only will they gel together but they will start to create and turn defence into attack. At the moment with Rowe & White back (and Simmo struggling) it gets down there and all we do is battle to keep it off the opponent. Very defensive. It's why I would also like to add Buckley whilst Byrne is out. We know he can make mistakes but that ability to run and take on the game is something that we lack.

I'd push Rowe up forward to make a contest and help lock it in with our smalls. Our defensive pressure inside forward 50 is the worst in the league. Last week not one tackle in the first half!
Creates questions Soapy.
You quote a long term defensive unit without Macreadie, and I don't disagree with any of them.
It is not inconceivable that Rowe holds form for three years or more. We have a glut of tall defenders now, albeit developing.
Add JGM who attracts conflicting reports on here, but generally positive ones from the NB coach.

I am a little torn on Rowe. We all know he has some ugly moments, but beauty is as beauty does. He is our one mature genuine
tall defender (rookie AS excluded). Plowman close to being considered "mature", but others at least 2 years away. Conundrums.
It is largely a stats driven industry/game now, all clubs have access to his defensive figures. There are plenty of clubs with
"brittle" defences, if one comes calling with a second rounder or as a trade for a promising young (or very solid depth) midfielder,
is he expendable given the maturity levels of the kids? I personally believe that this was the prime reason Alex Silvagni was rookied.
Would actually be potentially on the mark assuming Barrass70 is right with our Balic interest, if that player is determined to return to
Victoria?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back