Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weitering back is too tall but you want Rowe there instead?

I just want Weitering to settle in defence for a while. 19 years old and 25 games. He is a kid, do we forget that? Playing forward in our side at the moment will kill him. It's why we don't bring in McKay. Give him another season in defence and let him develop and when he is ready try him as a swingman or even as a forward.

My concern is we will damage one heck of a player
Yep i can see it coming .He looks knackerd as it is .

Weitering back is too tall but you want Rowe there instead?

I just want Weitering to settle in defence for a while. 19 years old and 25 games. He is a kid, do we forget that? Playing forward in our side at the moment will kill him. It's why we don't bring in McKay. Give him another season in defence and let him develop and when he is ready try him as a swingman or even as a forward.

My concern is we will damage one heck of a player

I'd give Macreadie a rest and operate with Rowe, Marchbank and Plowman. Macreades will develop better playing on the number 1 VFL forward rather than the 3rd or 4th best forward or guarding space. Doesn't have the tank at the moment either.

Weitering will be fine. He's not going to lose his defensive capability and he gives us far more than just another option if he's developed as a true CHF. Also sets up play around the 50 and knows he to bring smaller players into the game to set up scoring opportunities. He's got Casboult taking some of the heat for a year, and after that he'll have McKay.

I think you have raised a good point about there being some urgency. No players will want to stay, player retention is part of the reason we are where we are right now. There is little point in bringing lots of young kids who will get belted each week unless they have good quality senior players around them. Talk of trading Murphy, Casboult, Kreuzer etc will just leave us with a bunch of young kids.
Agree.
Club is doing something about it though.
20+ players out of contract at year's end.
Likely 8-10 players will be delisted, retired, possible a trade (Gibbs), possibly FA departures (Kreuzer, Casboult).
likely some players will be retained (might not be able to clear out all the dead wood / witches hats in one year and replace them all).
Issue for us is how to get value at trade / draft table. Last year it was Tuohy. This year I think one or more of Gibbs, Kreuzer and Casboult.
The kids we have will be a season more experienced ...

Easy to get sucked into thinking Graham will be effective watching him at VFL level. He's played there for quite a few years and is now one of the better VFL mids while having the benefit of AFL-level development.

He'll get an opportunity this year, but he'll never be AFL standard.

You may be right.

In fairness to Graham he seems to have always been played at half forward at AFL level - which is certainly not playing to his strengths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only difference is that the dogs weren't coming from as far back as us.
Yeah, but where will we be in 2 years time when Gibbs is 30? What position were the Dogs in when Boyd was 28? In 2012 the Dogs finished 15th on 5-16 with a percentage of 68% and a 10 game losing streak. 2 years later they finished 14th on 7-15 but with a much better %age of 82% and pushed into the 8 the following 2 years.
It's not looking that great for us right now in terms of wins and %age, but if the guys can start gelling in the 2nd half of the year and putting Bolton's game plan into effect better, surely in 2 years time when Gibbs is 30 we can be looking at better than 7-15 and a %age of 82%? I'd be hoping for 10-12 wins and around 95%. If that's where we're at and Gibbs is still with us and looks to have at least 3 years left, is he of no value?

He's a FA if he wants to leave he leaves, we have nothing to do with it.

Not 100% true. It'll be on us to dangle a juicy offer in front of him (publically) so that he doesn't get lowballed by a contender.

If he indicates he wants to go, we should be offering a two-year deal on $600k per year minimum. If he wants to stay, year-on-year contracts at whatever is deemed fair value.

Two birds with one stone, as he'll benefit by getting better financial offers, and we'll get a better compensation pick.

Not 100% true. It'll be on us to dangle a juicy offer in front of him (publically) so that he doesn't get lowballed by a contender.

If he indicates he wants to go, we should be offering a two-year deal on $600k per year minimum. If he wants to stay, year-on-year contracts at whatever is deemed fair value.

Two birds with one stone, as he'll benefit by getting better financial offers, and we'll get a better compensation pick.

He hasn't looked good enough for a two year deal and back flankers are what we have a few of. One year average wage is enough.

We might have Hodge wandering around in the backline and coaching next year.

He hasn't looked good enough for a two year deal and back flankers are what we have a few of. One year average wage is enough.

We might have Hodge wandering around in the backline and coaching next year.

Which is why I said "if he wants to leave". Someone will take a shot on him for two years, no doubt about it. GWS spring to mind, Adelaide and Port as well, Richmond almost certainly. The trick would be for us to publically table a two-year deal on decent money, so that another suitor feels the need to at least get close to that offer in order to coax him across. If we say "Hey Simmo, we'll let you go for whatever you can get to chase a flag" you'll have clubs offering him one year on $300k and we'll get absolutely nothing in return (see: Jarrad Waite).

If he says he wants to see out his career at Carlton, then absolutely - one year deals on modest coin till he decides to hand up the boots.

Third time's a charm?

And as I said when Clayton was first openly floating the idea, if trading player rights during the same draft becomes a thing we've got a serious problem.

I get where he's coming from in that some clubs will try and lowball to get a player, but live trading offers you weeks of pick trade scenarios, phone calls and in-principle agreements through which you can totally * them over for doing so.

Adding rights trading in simply allows you to hold clubs to ransom despite your list requirements. There must be a penalty for selecting poorly.

Third time's a charm?

And as I said when Clayton was first openly floating the idea, if trading player rights during the same draft becomes a thing we've got a serious problem.

I get where he's coming from in that some clubs will try and lowball to get a player, but live trading offers you weeks of pick trade scenarios, phone calls and in-principle agreements through which you can totally **** them over for doing so.

Adding rights trading in simply allows you to hold clubs to ransom despite your list requirements. There must be a penalty for selecting poorly.

Sounds like a massive headache for all involved - especially the young 18 year old boys who could find themselves changing clubs and states multiple times in the space of a few hours.

Don't mind live trading of picks though. Say a club reaches their second round pick (hypothetically 25) and they've got four players they really like still on the board - having the ability to trade pick 25 for Picks 28 and 35) could be a valid strategy, particularly if the club with picks 28 and 35 really rates a player they don't think would last another three picks. Alternatively, a club might reach their third or fourth pick (hypothetically 45) and not like any of the players still available - having the ability to trade that pick for one the following year isn't a bad thing at all.

Nobody is hurt by those trades, and it allows clubs to adjust based on the progression of picks before them. Just don't extend it to players, especially players taken with earlier selections, otherwise the whole thing becomes a farce.

Sounds like a massive headache for all involved - especially the young 18 year old boys who could find themselves changing clubs and states multiple times in the space of a few hours.

Don't mind live trading of picks though. Say a club reaches their second round pick (hypothetically 25) and they've got four players they really like still on the board - having the ability to trade pick 25 for Picks 28 and 35) could be a valid strategy, particularly if the club with picks 28 and 35 really rates a player they don't think would last another three picks. Alternatively, a club might reach their third or fourth pick (hypothetically 45) and not like any of the players still available - having the ability to trade that pick for one the following year isn't a bad thing at all.

Nobody is hurt by those trades, and it allows clubs to adjust based on the progression of picks before them. Just don't extend it to players, especially players taken with earlier selections, otherwise the whole thing becomes a farce.
I'd suggest the club trading up would involve third parties before making that lopsided a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back