Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Thomas plays 20 games this season at the standard he played in the first half of last year, how would people feel about signing him for 1-2 years for 350k?

No thanks

If we needed more experience while the kids are developing, I would rather attract more guys like a Palmer, than resign Thomas.

Here I thought they were basically the same in terms of output

Possibly with a slight difference.

Thomas has lost what was unique about his game. His kicking has deteriorated and has continued to lose his pace.

When I mentioned Palmer, I was referring to younger versions of Thomas, that could possibly be around when we are ready to break into a finals campaign

Possibly with a slight difference.

Thomas has lost what was unique about his game. His kicking has deteriorated and has continued to lose his pace.

When I mentioned Palmer, I was referring to younger versions of Thomas, that could possibly be around when we are ready to break into a finals campaign
Thomas' unique elements were his gut running and his leap. They're all still there, it's just a question of ankle stability. This year I watched him sprint a full 80 m down the wing into the F50 unrewarded.

20 games at the level he displayed in the first 8 games would be welcome.

If Thomas plays 20 games this season at the standard he played in the first half of last year, how would people feel about signing him for 1-2 years for 350k?

I not seen enough from Thomas to even convince me he is a certain starter in our best 22 for 2017. He tries and works hard and is a good guy but that in itself is not enough to convince being on a list in 2018 and onwards.
1-2 years at 280K and may just sign up as VFL captain and on field coach role like a Luke Power was for Giants but that is me trying to convince myself he deserves a spot still on list.
350K is overs on his impact recently. He is probably getting paid twice that at moment which is a remnant of the past recruiters. The reality he is on the list for 2017. If he can do things in 2017 to prove he deserves a spot going forward then I will have no problem with it. My hopes are not high though.

Thomas' unique elements were his gut running and his leap. They're all still there, it's just a question of ankle stability. This year I watched him sprint a full 80 m down the wing into the F50 unrewarded.

20 games at the level he displayed in the first 8 games would be welcome.

I can see where you are coming from, although I still believe he will continue to deteriorate, time will tell

I not seen enough from Thomas to even convince me he is a certain starter in our best 22 for 2017. He tries and works hard and is a good guy but that in itself is not enough to convince being on a list in 2018 and onwards.
1-2 years at 280K and may just sign up as VFL captain and on field coach role like a Luke Power was for Giants but that is me trying to convince myself he deserves a spot still on list.
350K is overs on his impact recently. He is probably getting paid twice that at moment which is a remnant of the past recruiters. The reality he is on the list for 2017. If he can do things in 2017 to prove he deserves a spot going forward then I will have no problem with it. My hopes are not high though.
350k is about AFL senior average for a midfielder, probably below.

I'm happy if he has good output this year but he represents one of the worst recruiting decisions in our history.

And I'm not just talking about his contract. I mean the process, the reasons and the knock on effects of his signing should be a case study for all future admin decisions as what not to do.

I think they should close the door on his career as soon as possible and put that era behind us.

Looking at our list it seems inevitable we will see another large cull at the end of season 2017.

At quick count it is quite conceivable that 15 or so senior listed players may not be with us beyond next year, for various reasons.

We won't be making 15 changes but it is not unrealistic to suggest we may see another 10 make way.

The 2018 Carlton is going to be virtually unrecognisable from the squad Bolton inherited.

Not a popular opinion I'm sure, but Thomas could surprise people with good form and fitness this season.

You don't stop being a good footballer at his age, it's just the body that needs to be right.
Nah, it would have happened this year if it was going to. His body is never going to be right. What we saw is what we have. A horribly overpaid C Grade player who will hopefully be pushed out by a developing youngster before the season is half gone and retire at years end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy if he has good output this year but he represents one of the worst recruiting decisions in our history.

And I'm not just talking about his contract. I mean the process, the reasons and the knock on effects of his signing should be a case study for all future admin decisions as what not to do.

I think they should close the door on his career as soon as possible and put that era behind us.
Spot on. Mind you I have no ill feeling towards Thomas, he didn't put a gun to anybody's head. Probably should put on a ski mask every time he withdraws a chunk of his pay packet though.

So list management crystal ball gazing following Season 2017 ...

Out: Jacksch, Jones, Thomas, Boekhorst, Graham, Gorringe, Buckley (all delisted), Casboult, Kreuzer (free agents), Gibbs (trade) and Armfield (retired)

One more year: Simpson, White, Lamb, Wright, Rowe, Kerridge

Priority at draft and trading: midfield and ruck

Not a popular opinion I'm sure, but Thomas could surprise people with good form and fitness this season.

You don't stop being a good footballer at his age, it's just the body that needs to be right.

Agreed, but that is my concern, don't think his body will improve to allow him to play the football he was once capable of

I'd be extremely disappointed if Thomas played 20 games this year. We need to be transitioning players like Thomas & Rowe out of the side by halfway through the season and cycling in some of our youth.

I'd be extremely disappointed if Thomas played 20 games this year. We need to be transitioning players like Thomas & Rowe out of the side by halfway through the season and cycling in some of our youth.
I did set a performance standard for him in my question, so: are you saying he'll never be capable?

The other thing that's an issue Jimmae is that IF he played 20 games this year it would trigger the 5th year option on his contract. That's going to be in the order $700K which is a big difference to what you're talking about. He needs to be producing 2010 form to justify that and that was such a long, long time ago. Even the best footy he produced last year was only half that quality and it was only for about a 1/3 of a season.

The other thing that's an issue Jimmae is that IF he played 20 games this year it would trigger the 5th year option on his contract. That's going to be in the order $700K which is a big difference to what you're talking about. He needs to be producing 2010 form to justify that and that was such a long, long time ago. Even the best footy he produced last year was only half that quality and it was only for about a 1/3 of a season.
I'm not sure that such a clause exists, and if it does, that we're required to adhere to it.

I don't think anyone would sign him at $700k under any circumstances short of an AA season.

I'm not sure that such a clause exists, and if it does, that we're required to adhere to it.

I don't think anyone would sign him at $700k under any circumstances short of an AA season.
Yep, and he is now below that value at AFL level. Hence think 280K more around the mark.
Funnily enough it was about this time last year I went in to get my first membership in 15 years and watch an open training session at the same time. I bought the membership, went into the cafe and bought a cup of tea and sat down at one of the tables. Next thing another bloke with a cup of tea sits down opposite me and it was no other than one D.Thomas. Had a chat for about 15m. Nice enough bloke.

Edit: Still bloody amazed that the Carlton Shop cannot print out an actual receipt when you pay for your membership.

Funnily enough it was about this time last year I went in to get my first membership in 15 years and watch an open training session at the same time. I bought the membership, went into the cafe and bought a cup of tea and sat down at one of the tables. Next thing another bloke with a cup of tea sits down opposite me and it was no other than one D.Thomas. Had a chat for about 15m. Nice enough bloke.

Edit: Still bloody amazed that the Carlton Shop cannot print out an actual receipt when you pay for your membership.

Curious why no membership for 14 previous years ?
You were an Elliott man and took time over many of us voting him out ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back