Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Struggling to see how we'll manage more than 10 delistings given we don't have much in the way of trade bait.

If we bring in two or more free agents, I doubt we'll bother let anyone out the other way aside from Casboult, as the loss of Kreuzer is only worth our time if he can net us a pick (unless something spectacularly bad happens on the injury front).

I reckon Lamb, Jones, White, Jaksch, Armfield, and Graham are the first batch jettisoned, then it's your pick of two of Phillips, Casboult and Gorringe.

That's 8 gone, and with say 4 coming in via FA/trade, that's 4 picks at the draft. Unless we manage to get more out of Adelaide this time around, I don't see us cutting much deeper unless there's serious value in the later rounds of the draft or we have Cat B/FS/academy talent earmarked.

The next batch is Simpson, Boekhorst, Buckley, Sumner, Rowe and Kreuzer, but those are highly conditional on what comes in. We'd need a really good haul through FA/trade to cut more than one of them.

People moan about how much we still need to bring through the door, but if the list progresses overall to the point where Boekhorst and Buckley are clearly in our bottom 10 at the club, we're doing very well IMO. I think some have unrealistic expectations about what list depth looks like.
Couldn't find room for Thomas? In first three together with Jones and Jaksch.

Can't see us getting much more for Gibbs than what was offered this year. It will be a late first rounder and if we really push, maybe a late 2nd rounder. He will be a year older after all.

Interested to see how we go pushing for one of their young guns. Have we heard many rumours from decent sources? I would think it would be tough to pry away any A grade young players via trade.
I think if Adelaide miss out on a Preliminary final again because of lack of midfield class and support for Rory Sloane, Adelaide will come knocking again and will cough up.

Then you can rule us out of top-tier trade then. Look for us to try and scoop up names like Finlayson and A. Kennedy, maybe one of Hopper and M. Kennedy if they're still sitting outside the first 22, and if GWS are keen on a future first.

I don't see us accepting just the straight teens pick. Adelaide can just sign him as a free agent for 2019.
For 2020?

:blueheart::blueheart::blueheart: this pic .......

9ee88605d69c1543204a1c903bf709b0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure Gibbs will be going to Adelaide after how badly they burned him.

I'd be surprised if they didn't inquire again about him.
Crows need to beef up their midfield after Danger leaving and Thompson has 1 year left at best I would have thought.
They can't leave all their heavy lifting to Sloane.

I think if Adelaide miss out on a Preliminary final again because of lack of midfield class and support for Rory Sloane, Adelaide will come knocking again and will cough up.

Cough what up though? They realistically wont have any more to offer than this year. Possibly a lower 1st rounder.

F the Rest contends that we still lack the depth to put out a competitive VFL side, despite Frankston disbanding and our VFL salary cap freed up with the retirement of Kieran McGuinness and Brent Bransgrove, let's break this down:

2016 Expected Best 22 for Northern (IMO) vs what played regularly:

FB: White Jamison Sheehan
FB: Dick Foster S. Russell
HB: Gowers Jaksch McGuinness
HB: Gowers JGM Aujla
C: Tutt Graham Cuningham
C: Boekhorst T. Smith Cuningham
HF: Silvagni Gorringe Lamb
HF: Tutt Everitt Smith
FF: McKay Jones Gallucci
FF: Jaksch Jones Kerbatieh

RR: Phillips Whiley Wilson
RR: Wood Whiley Wilson

Int: T. Smith Viojo-Rainbow Declase Totevski
Int: Barrett Viojo-Rainbow Korcheck Strachan

2017 Expected Best 18 for Northern (IMO) vs immediate depth (Carlton listed players underlined):

FB: White Rowe Silvagni
FB: Declase JGM Jordan
HB: Sheehan Macreadie Williamson
HB: Strachan Thorpe S. Russell
C: Boekhorst Palmer Sumner
C: Ballard Graham Browne
HF: Lamb Gorringe Polson
HF: Totevski Vesnaver LeBois
FF: Jaksch Jones Armfield
FF: Kerr Casley Gallucci

RR: Phillips Kerridge Fisher
RR: Korcheck Wilson T. Smith

Further depth: Stevens, L. Russell, Brown, Peet, J.Cripps, Roos, Fowler, Allsop, Piper

There's more there, but I don't know a great deal about the Northern reserves, though I'm sure there's probably a better CHB option than Thorpe. The point being, there's enough VFL depth there to be competitive, and we won't be hiding our senior listed players as much this season with their sheepdog and ball-butchering ways.

That VFL 22 is going to be pretty strong most weeks, which is great news for the development of our kids.

PS - If I've included any VFL players who have moved on, please let me know

F the Rest contends that we still lack the depth to put out a competitive VFL side, despite Frankston disbanding and our VFL salary cap freed up with the retirement of Kieran McGuinness and Brent Bransgrove, let's break this down:

2016 Expected Best 22 for Northern (IMO) vs what played regularly:

FB: White Jamison Sheehan
FB: Dick Foster S. Russell
HB: Gowers Jaksch McGuinness
HB: Gowers JGM Aujla
C: Tutt Graham Cuningham
C: Boekhorst T. Smith Cuningham
HF: Silvagni Gorringe Lamb
HF: Tutt Everitt Smith
FF: McKay Jones Gallucci
FF: Jaksch Jones Kerbatieh

RR: Phillips Whiley Wilson
RR: Wood Whiley Wilson

Int: T. Smith Viojo-Rainbow Declase Totevski
Int: Barrett Viojo-Rainbow Korcheck Strachan

2017 Expected Best 18 for Northern (IMO) vs immediate depth (Carlton listed players underlined):

FB: White Rowe Silvagni
FB: Declase JGM Jordan
HB: Sheehan Macreadie Williamson
HB: Strachan Thorpe S. Russell
C: Boekhorst Palmer Sumner
C: Ballard Graham Browne
HF: Lamb Gorringe Polson
HF: Totevski Vesnaver LeBois
FF: Jaksch Jones Armfield
FF: Kerr Casley Gallucci

RR: Phillips Kerridge Fisher
RR: Korcheck Wilson T. Smith

Further depth: Stevens, L. Russell, Brown, Peet, J.Cripps, Roos, Fowler, Allsop, Piper

There's more there, but I don't know a great deal about the Northern reserves, though I'm sure there's probably a better CHB option than Thorpe. The point being, there's enough VFL depth there to be competitive, and we won't be hiding our senior listed players as much this season with their sheepdog and ball-butchering ways.

That VFL 22 is going to be pretty strong most weeks, which is great news for the development of our kids.

PS - If I've included any VFL players who have moved on, please let me know

Appreciate the effort, Jim. Much like the seniors, it's going to come down to how well the kids kick on. Fingers crossed.

+ injuries and the resting of the youngsters (quite a bit of that last season). MC's position on the youth playing seniors will be a catalyst for the number of exceptional state league players we may have in the NB's at times.

Dylan Shiel, 23
Jonathon Patton, 23
Devon Smith, 23
Josh Kelly, 21
Jacob Hopper, 19
Zac Williams, 22
Adam Tomlinson, 23
Matt Kennedy, 19
Harrison Himmelberg, 20
Matt Buntine, 23
Adam Kennedy, 24
Jeremy Finlayson, 20
Steve Johnson, 33
Dawson Simpson, 27

Nice list of out of contract players on GWS's list this year :)

Shiel and Patton would be nice SOS *nudge nudge wink wink*

Struggling to see how we'll manage more than 10 delistings given we don't have much in the way of trade bait.

Same thing you have said for the past two years and you've been wrong both times.

Players with little to offer will be flung, that is an unescapable fact !!!

It is completely irrelevant whether we have trade options or not, the list will get turned over again, replacements will come from the ND, FA & a trade or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back