Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care how well Melbourne's list has progressed - beating them does not excite me and never will. Bring Hawthorn to me...........

I've forgotten what its like to beat Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hahaha...I know.

I just wanted that particular W so ******* bad...
That was the game that turned my wife away from AFL. She is a Balmain girl with no interest in football of any code but as spouses do had come on board the Blue bus with me as a form of support. She got into it a bit and then a bit more and when that game was on was not quite all in but definitely in. Fev lined up and "come on Fev, kick the bloody thing, please just kick the bloody goal" says she. And it looked like it was sailing through, enough so that we were out of our seats and about to victory dance, when it took that awful late bend and clipped the post.

After a brief, stunned silence, she turned to me and said: "I don't know how you can do it." And left the room, and AFL, forever.

Worse still she has regressed back to being a token Swans supporter and gives it to me when they beat us, which just happens to be always.

Except the year we played up in Syd and it bucketed down.

Chris Judd had the ball on a string, clearances, I50s and contested possessions at will. No one else came close.

Was a sight to behold and an amazing way to break a long losing streak against the Swans/at the SCG.

Admittedly it would be good if I didn't have to think back 5 years to pinpoint a win and instead had lots to choose from. BUT if you're stuck having one win to hang onto, this is a good one.

33 touches, 8 tackles, 15 clearances, 25 contested possession (=11th all-time most in a game),

Last edited:
By the sounds of things SOS is well advanced as to his 2017 targets............as he should be.

Seems to me that midfielders will be the primary targets and when you think about it, unless something really goes belly-up with our young talls, there may not be much of a need for them, other than a ruck-man and possibly a KPF.
Just can't see the value of topping up further in the tall department, unless some unexpected situations front up through the course of the year.

KP Backs as things currently stand:
Rowe who may be with us for a couple of years yet, whilst others develop.
Marchbank, who has clearly been brought to the club for a key position post.
Weitering, if he does indeed stay back, takes up a primary post.....no third-tall stuff.
Macreadie, a 196cm tall back. Maybe he can play forward also, but he is principally a back-man.
Glass-McCasker if he does come on, as expected, would ideally take over from Rowe as the shut down KPD.
Plowman. Yes he may be the third tall down back but at 193cm, he's no shortie either and has the strength to match-up to 195cm KPF's

It really does seem that we're covered for the KPD post and it wouldn't surprise that should the run-style develop further, there may not be a need for a third tall either and if so, why keep investing in this department?

KP Forwards as things currently stand:
McKay is a good bet to become a long-term KPF.
If the back-line functions without a need for Weitering, he goes forward and we're just about done, given we have a 193cm Silvagni, involved also.
I just don't think we need to overload on height, nor do I feel that will be the way the game goes.
Casboult and Jones aren't long term prospects and won't be included here and Jaksch, for all his talent, would need to come from a long way back.
Kerr? Maybe but a little too much to ask to bank on him becoming a viable option.
Charlie! Then there's Charlie. Even though he may be used through the midfield, he'll make for a terribly tough match-up forward and a height of 193cm would be enough for him not to become a key goal-kicking option. Has too many tools not to make good of his apparent non key-position height.

Of course, anything can yet come about by way of players leaving, getting injured, not coming on as expected etc, but no matter which way I look at it, I can't see a KPP being a major concern for us next year.

Except the year we played up in Syd and it bucketed down.

Chris Judd had the ball on a string, clearances, I50s and contested possessions at will. No one else came close.

Was a sight to behold and an amazing way to break a long losing streak against the Swans/at the SCG.

Admittedly it would be good if I didn't have to think back 5 years to pinpoint a win and instead had lots to choose from. BUT if you're stuck having one win to hang onto, this is a good one.

33 touches, 8 tackles, 15 clearances, 25 contested possession (=11th all-time most in a game),

Firm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back