Mega Thread 2017 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a think about how Cousins was treated by the media after being outed as an addict. Not someone who had the odd line (which many players are apparently prone to) but a full blown addict who went to rehab & is still battling addiction and publicly disintegrating.
He was treated as a hero (We applaud what you have overcome) and given the benefit of the doubt time after time.
He had to basically become an out of control derro before the sycophants finally started admitting he was in trouble.
This despite that half of Perth knew he was an addict before he even won a premiership medal. I had a friend who was an Eagles member and former WAFL footballer tell me (well over a year before he was outed) that it was common knowledge Cousins associated with and regularly scored off hardcore biker crime figures.

Contrast this with Bennell who has not put a foot wrong since he arrived at the club, has been regularly feted by his own coach as being exemplary in his attitude and rehab from injury. Despite the facts as we know them (from Lyon's own mouth and every bit of info from the club) Bennell has constantly been subject to rumour and innuendo from not just jealous Eagles ******s but almost the entire football media.

So what do you put the difference down to?
Good old Freo bashing, the media in the West hate it when more light is shone on West Cokes tainted history, try to deflect what they can with
anything that paints a bad picture with us.
Then you have Ross Lyon, not everyone's cup of tea in the media over East
Then you have the AFL with their own agendas, like looking to take the Brownlow of Watson, Lyon destroying the game.
Funny how Carlisle from the Saints is never mentioned.

Then you have the AFL with their own agendas, like looking to take the Brownlow of Watson, Lyon destroying the game.
Funny how Carlisle from the Saints is never mentioned.
exactly. its not an even playing field.
Whatever you choose to attribute that to I don't doubt that there is an element of racism in (from some people) in the way Harley is treated & good on Lyon for calling it out.

Have a think about how Cousins was treated by the media after being outed as an addict. Not someone who had the odd line (which many players are apparently prone to) but a full blown addict who went to rehab & is still battling addiction and publicly disintegrating.
He was treated as a hero (We applaud what you have overcome) and given the benefit of the doubt time after time.
He had to basically become an out of control derro before the sycophants finally started admitting he was in trouble.
This despite that half of Perth knew he was an addict before he even won a premiership medal. I had a friend who was an Eagles member and former WAFL footballer tell me (well over a year before he was outed) that it was common knowledge Cousins associated with and regularly scored off hardcore biker crime figures.

Contrast this with Bennell who has not put a foot wrong since he arrived at the club, has been regularly feted by his own coach as being exemplary in his attitude and rehab from injury. Despite the facts as we know them (from Lyon's own mouth and every bit of info from the club) Bennell has constantly been subject to rumour and innuendo from not just jealous Eagles ******s but almost the entire football media.

So what do you put the difference down to?

Your memory leaves a lot to be desired.

Was Harley ever charged with drug taking?

No, because police can't charge you once the drug has left your system. Are you denying he's actually taken them though or are you just talking about irrelevant things?

No, because police can't charge you once the drug has left your system. Are you denying he's actually taken them though or are you just talking about irrelevant things?

Like you I have no idea if Harley's taken drugs or not but you posted he has been done for dugs which is blatantly untrue. You have a habit of making s**t up to push your agenda. Facts are irrelevant to you.

Like you I have no idea if Harley's taken drugs or not

Mate there were pictures of him published in every major newspaper in the country sniffing lines at a party.

If you still have no idea then it's just you.

158442f351d0416e6e75b80c6570c4f1

82dad0eef069e8506758894072454cf8

24bd49aeb34701b52f87dfa5150df2e5

Mate there were pictures of him published in every major newspaper in the country sniffing lines at a party.

Yes but that white powder could've been washing powder (and I know a guy who was there who verified this) and he was just being thrifty by separating it into 5 small lots to make sure he could attend to all the washing of his teammates.

Please don't be so scurrilous to suggest this powder was drugs.

158442f351d0416e6e75b80c6570c4f1

82dad0eef069e8506758894072454cf8

24bd49aeb34701b52f87dfa5150df2e5

You said he was in your words done for drugs. Thats not true. Argue your point with out making s**t up . Circumstantial at the best. Any half decent brief would rip those pics to pieces.

You said he was in your words done for drugs. Thats not true. Argue your point with out making s**t up . Circumstantial at the best. Any half decent brief would rip those pics to pieces.

If Harley was to receive a strike they wouldn't necessarily publish it, some say he did receive a strike some say he didn't. You're arguing like an Essendon fan stating no player tested positive for PEDS therefore everything is rosy.

exactly. its not an even playing field.
Whatever you choose to attribute that to I don't doubt that there is an element of racism in (from some people) in the way Harley is treated & good on Lyon for calling it out.
Wont mention names but there is more than a hint of racism from a couple of WC posters on BF obsessed with the guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Harley was to receive a strike they wouldn't necessarily publish it, some say he did receive a strike some say he didn't. You're arguing like an Essendon fan stating no player tested positive for PEDS therefore everything is rosy.

Nah ,I'm saying none of us have got a clue including you. To say he has been done for drugs is a lie, what part of that dont you understand.

You said he was in your words done for drugs. Thats not true. .

He got "done" in the sense that he got caught doing drugs and it was made public. I never said he was charged or punished. You're just being ridiculous.

Nah ,I'm saying none of us have got a clue including you.

It's really only you who hasn't got a clue. The rest of the population of Australia is reasonably convinced he has taken drugs in the past.

He got "done" in the sense that he got caught doing drugs and it was made public. I never said he was charged or punished. You're just being ridiculous.

. He didn't get caught, caught by whom, there were no police knocking the door down. Getting done is a term for being charged with an offence. We all know what you meant. its always the same story with you ,denials and back tracking when you come unstuck.

Just so we're clear - the police can only charge you for having drugs in your system if you're driving. To be charged with possession, you have to actually have drugs with you - not have taken them.

Yes it appears he did take drugs in the past (nearly 4 years ago). Supplied by the bloke that Gold Coast had him living with. FFC are happy with his behaviour and despite the rumours, nothing of substance has emerged.

And yes racists do exist in Australia and some of them would be having a crack at Bennell. Some people seem intent on convincing themselves that despite the lack of evidence, Bennell is using illicit drugs.

It amazes me that there are people on here that only seem to post about the club, players and their behaviour, usually in a critical tone. Nothing about the actual football. That is of course their prerogative but I don't understand why they bother.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-11/race-involved-in-bennell-criticism-says-lyon

Stupid comments by Lyon playing the race card. The reason people suspect a drug problem is because it's a player who's been previously caught using drugs. Nothing to do with race.

As if there wouldn't be rumours if it was the same situation but instead the rumours surrounding someone like Dustin Martin or Dane Swan.

When you say "play the race card" you make it seem like its not a genuine opinion and that he's not entitled to have it.
Maybe you don't agree with it, but what's wrong with someone saying something that he believes is true?

The Q&A's that get printed in the newspaper wouldn't be everything discussed. There might have been some other off the record stuff in that interview that didn't go to print that irked Ross. Robbo was at it last year on SEN and likely still has the same opinion about the something else other than a calf injury rumour.

We he saw that facebook post linked to Shane Yarran about Fremantle players taking drugs he reposted it on his twitter feed with the words "boy oh boy".

Last edited:
Brian Waldron just makes stuff up and he does it in a smug way as if he knows secret inside information. He has no idea. He made up about 50 trade rumours last year. Annoyingly he got one right.

He cheated as Storm CEO and now he cheats as media reporter.

When you say "play the race card" you make it seem like its not a genuine opinion and that he's not entitled to have it.

Correct, that is what "playing the race card" means. A disingenuous attempt to paint someone as a racist in order to have their pov silenced. That is what Ross is doing here. Rumours of Bennell's drug use are there because he's been very publically caught previously. If it was just because of race there'd be similar rumours about Michael Walters or Cyril Rioli every time they got injured. To the best of my knowledge there have been no such rumours concerning them.

Ross expressed the same opinion last year, probably with a bit more depth re: behavior expectations, in a pre-match interview on Channel 7 with Cameron Ling and Matthew Richardson (prior to the Richmond game I think),
so I don't get why you're so touchy about it silencing a point of view, when it hasn't.

Its just a counterpoint opinion to rumour. Y'know, Robbo is supposed to be a journalist, so if he wants to do a story on Bennell and dig deeper, why doesn't he come over to Perth and watch his progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back