2017 Membership: All for One

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering ditching Foxtel after over a decade due to rarely watching it, decreasing lack of decent content, the loss of the EPL and my overall inability to watch US sports due to an increasing work load and responsibilities and basically looking at my options to watch Lions games I don't attend.

The only major issue is having to watch games on a small iPad screen compared to the TV.

I can't remember the poster but someone last year recommended using a VGA adaptor for the iPad to connect to the TV then using the audio plug to connect to the stereo. The picture quality isn't perfect and it occasionally pixelates but it is watchable and far preferable to the smaller screen.

Considering ditching Foxtel after over a decade due to rarely watching it, decreasing lack of decent content, the loss of the EPL and my overall inability to watch US sports due to an increasing work load and responsibilities and basically looking at my options to watch Lions games I don't attend.

The only major issue is having to watch games on a small iPad screen compared to the TV.

Have you considered Foxtel Play? It's what I use; viewed via an Internet connection through compatible devices and you can change or cancel your subscription at any time. Second the footy season finishes I have no further use for it and drop it for six months. Much cheaper option for those of us who need foxtel to see the footy but only need foxtel for 6 months.

Don't be afraid to ask friends or family who might be on a Telstra mobile plan. I have a mate who isn't interested in footy but thanks to him I now have a free live pad for the year :)

Good point Leemas, you can sign in on 5 supported devices so as long as someone you know isn't using 2 phones and 3 iPads you should be able to sign in with their account info.

Well there has been some movement at the station - WatchAFL has now been replaced by a holding page consisting of an image that doesn't load and the title "We're back soon". I'm choosing to imagine that this indicates that there'll be some progress soon.
Looks like good news for international fans (or bad news, depending on the cost). The watchafl site is now being run by FOX Sports.

This could be good news:
- The app looks sleek, and may actually work (as compared to the Rightster garbage we got for the previous few years), with Airplay. Would be awesome if there was a samsung or sony tv app!
- It looks like we get access to Fox Footy programming. On the Couch, AFL Tonight, AFL 360, Bounce, Open Mike, League Teams, whatever other crap they put on. Sure, it was possible previously thanks to some great footy fans who made it available, but it's much easier to watch it on demand! Big plus from me!
- So far, streaming quality looks great, and would trust Fox to deliver better overall quality than Rightster did, with less glitches and dropouts. And hopefully no more of the crap the used to put on repeat between each goal and each quarter because they didn't take the advertising.
- Likely it will be a bit more expensive. The subscription cost has gone up online (€149 for EUR, £149 for GBP, $149 for USD). The global lion membership is not yet available - last years was $155.

you can sign up for a trial subscription now until March 22: https://www.watchafl.com.au/offer
enter voucher code PRESEASON17

Looks like a lot of positives for my footy consumption this season!

Last edited:
No email from the club yet but got an itch and checked out the ticket manager, Global Lion memberships are now available there. $170, touch up on last year but certainly an improvement on the WatchAFL price.

chrome_2017-02-13_22-03-18.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a look on the website at the membership tally - 16198.
Not too good for 5 weeks out from the start of the season.
Bit sad but not unexpected.
Doesn't the club do a Vic membership drive meet the players day during the pre season comp , and isn't there one in where ever they play in Brisbane.
We usually get a spike around that time, with I'm guessing around 1500 to 2000.
Unless they are holding the tally back , we might struggle to get 20 k.
Before the start of the year I thought we might get around 22k .
Anyone else got a better prediction or thoughts.

Last edited:
Just had a look on the website at the membership tally - 16198.
Not too good for 5 weeks out from the start of the season.

But then again,not too bad.

16/2/2011.....15857.
16/2/2012......13961.
20/2/2013......14556.
24/2/2014......16121.
28/2/2015......18000.
14/2/2016......16273.

In fact,today is 14 Feb. and there has been no update on the website since 7 Feb.

Look for improvement during March.

But then again,not too bad.

16/2/2011.....15857.
16/2/2012......13961.
20/2/2013......14556.
24/2/2014......16121.
28/2/2015......18000.
14/2/2016......16273.

In fact,today is 14 Feb. and there has been no update on the website since 7 Feb.

Look for improvement during March.
Cheers for those stats Old Den , still looking reasonably okay then.
Going by those comparisons with where we are at 14/2/17 we could still get upwards of 23,000.
I'll take that any day at this stage.

I am sure our AFLW team is helping generate some interest as well, my wife watched the last quarter against Freo and she never watches footy.

No email from the club yet but got an itch and checked out the ticket manager, Global Lion memberships are now available there. $170, touch up on last year but certainly an improvement on the WatchAFL price.

View attachment 336205

Does anyone know what portion of this fee goes to the club? The watchAFL annual subscription is only $189 ($19 more), but is a 365 day rolling subscription. The club membership fee is $170, but the watchAFL component is likely to end on 1st November. Sure, not much goes on between November - January in the football world, but if the club doesn't send out their watchAFL voucher until beginning of March, then it's all the messing around with signing up for a trial membership at the beginning of every year. if the club is only getting $10 out of it, then i'd rather just sign up for the watchAFL annual subscription and be done with it! I can give the club money in other ways (like buying tickets in the annual raffle).

Last edited:
International Membership still not up on the website.Last year I received the AFL pass with mt international membership and assume that the Club got something out of it.Presumably this year the Club no longer wants international members and is quite happy for them to buy the AFL pass direct from the AFL given that the first preseason game is on this weekend and will be available on the AFL Pass .

International Membership still not up on the website.Last year I received the AFL pass with mt international membership and assume that the Club got something out of it.Presumably this year the Club no longer wants international members and is quite happy for them to buy the AFL pass direct from the AFL given that the first preseason game is on this weekend and will be available on the AFL Pass .
Yep this. Digital Membership not up either still.

Will probably now just do it through the AFL app again if the digital memberships are not up in a couple days. Other clubs have it sorted. I want to become a member (but I live no-where near Lions matches and don't have too much money to fling around on non-access memberships), but I also want to watch AFL. Was hoping to kill two birds with one stone...C'mon Lions, gotta sort this stuff out in the future. Losing easy members potentially.

Last edited:
Yep this. Digital Membership not up either still.

Will probably now just do it through the AFL app again if the digital memberships are not up in a couple days. Other clubs have it sorted. I want to become a member (but I live no-where near Lions matches and don't have too much money to fling around on non-access memberships), but I also want to watch AFL. Was hoping to kill two birds with one stone...C'mon Lions, gotta sort this stuff out in the future. Losing easy members potentially.

I'm in the same boat. I really want to support the club (with my money) but they're making it very difficult.

I've signed up for the free access to the new and improved Watch AFL and I must say it is a thousand times better! Streaming quality is smooth and with higher clarity. The website and app are much more user friendly as well!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back