Official Club Stuff 2017 Membership Tally

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice. Will they build a stand behind the goals to increase stadium to 70k capacity?

Sadly No, the hill is great, but will reach its useby date for footy in about ten years. They already closedit for one game after bad weather last season.

More chance in the next 20 years of rebuilding/extending the Western stand than building a grandstand on the Hill

Sadly No, the hill is great, but will reach its useby date for footy in about ten years. They already closedit for one game after bad weather last season.

More chance in the next 20 years of rebuilding/extending the Western stand than building a grandstand on the Hill

Continuing the stands around where the hill is would increase to at least 60k capacity. Who knows in 10 years.

Continuing the stands around where the hill is would increase to at least 60k capacity. Who knows in 10 years.
You will have to change an act of parliament - The Adelaide Oval Redevelopment and Management Act 2011 - to build on the northern end. Good luck getting that thru the upper house let alone the government in the lower house even worrying about it.

The SACA members probably wouldn't have voted YES for Adelaide Oval redevelopment if the Hill went.
Would love a proper Grandstand on it sooner rather than later, with the old Scoreboard in a museum.

I noticed today that GWS are 14,887.

Nearly 15k - are they on target for 20k or perhaps more ?.
We were just over 15k total last year so to have that before the start of the season is a good start.

Still dont know if we can break the 20k yet this year. Would be great if we can.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I noticed today that GWS are 14,887.

Nearly 15k - are they on target for 20k or perhaps more ?.
GWS CERTAINLY ARE!

Interesting to see the reaction from the RL mob, who 5 years ago were gloating publicly in the media (when GWS was being regularly thrashed in front of very small crowds at SS) that "GWS will be the AFL's Vietnam". The NRL also produced posters with the quote "GWS AFL's Vietnam".
100+ year old NRL Sydney based clubs cant attract much more than 15,000 members. The RL mob will be going apoplectic! AF regd. player numbers hardly existed in Western Sydney in 2011 -but have increased about 70% of a very small base since 2011.

This quote was at the top of large posters produced by the NRL, in their HQ. The posters had this "Vienam" caption on the top - & had a photo of a very sparse, almost empty outer of a GWS SS crowd.

Anyone have a break-up of Sydney & ACT members?

The hill is staying, so is the scoreboard, both are protected and it would be disappointing if they were removed.

Numbers are from club websites today, some clubs didn't have them listed.

Hawthorn 65,288
Richmond 58,350
West Coast 57,383
Essendon 53,315
Port Adelaide 51,240
Geelong 44,854
Carlton 37,403
Sydney 36,782
St Kilda 33,573
Melbourne 31,699
North Melbourne 31,582
Brisbane 16,198
Greater Western Sydney 14,887
Gold Coast 8,139
Adelaide
Collingwood
Fremantle
Western Bulldogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints count as it stands, already the club's 5th highest tally in history, and it's not even March

A testament to the good work of the current administration

Also an indictment of the administration during the mid to late noughties

It occures to me the AFL has crossed the point where more than half of clubs have membership > 50k

Remarkable achievement

It occures to me the AFL has crossed the point where more than half of clubs have membership > 50k

Remarkable achievement
I'd be curious as to how memberships were doing as a % of population

I'd be curious as to how memberships were doing as a % of population
On per capita terms,AFL memberships for AF have never been higher -&, obviously, in raw terms (at about 800,000+ /24 mill.) 2016 was the record.

Victoria also has the highest per capita %, followed closely by SA. Tas. would have the highest % of AF supporters.

In the 19th century, VFA &VFL clubs usually had 200-1,000 members.Up until the 70's, VFL clubs usually had 5,000- 10,000 members.
Not sure about WAFL & SANFL.
For reasons not known to me, SA & Tas. were the most prolific in issuing metal badges and/or tinnies (round circular tin badges) for their members/supporters.
Membership tickets for VFA clubs from the 1860's/1870's (when clubs might only have had 40-200 members) are now VERY rare -could sell between $5,000 -$10,000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back