News 2017 Membership Tally

How many members can we sign up for season 2017?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

However, it simply reduces the revenue outcome for the GFC on money we had already prepared and planned to hand over to support the club.

Each to their own. I know. And I am well aware that the club is far from virtuous in all its dealings with the supporter base. Some will say they 'had this coming' for the unhelpful ways they've dealt with members (or prospective members) in the past.

But I imagine they will be fairly disappointed with the uncomfortable reality that pre-existing financial commitments by members are going to be waived in what appears to be a clear hit to the club's finances.
I don't think people who had signed up specifically for 2017 are being given any form of refunds. It sounds like those who had pre-existing monthly payments still running from 2016 are the ones who are allowed to jump on the offer - but that's no different to the annual renewal I paid in March 2016.

I don't think people who had signed up specifically for 2017 are being given any form of refunds. It sounds like those who had pre-existing monthly payments still running from 2016 are the ones who are allowed to jump on the offer - but that's no different to the annual renewal I paid in March 2016.
I am not sure about that, I got told she was going to refund me.... but then when she realised I was on monthly payments it instead just tweaked those.

And I understand the point goyoucatters is making, but for me personally I have budgeted to pay what I was, and if there was no chance to change it I still would have done so.... but if I don't have to that is a little win for me as far as I am concerned... and I am not in a position to turn that down.
(plus I cracked the shits a bit with the club in this regard the other year when they started giving away footy jumpers that they charge north of 100 bucks for with an $88 3 game membership)

Not impressed I paid full amount for the same admissions. Not sure that I want to pay a donation to a club that gives nothing to members. Not even a decent AGM that people can attend- a few days before xmas is not good timing- and even then it is short and not welcoming. And that is just a start of what we don't get

My friend called at 4.30, on hold for 15 mins and they cut her off. They dialed again and were on hold for another 30 mins and got no one.

Pretty poor form if they were open to 7pm but didnt have the resources to take calls til that time.
Yeah a bloke at work tried to call and was cut off after 15 mins as well

I wont be renewing my family membership this year. According to the family age criteria a 15 year old kid doesn't qualify to be a member of my family anymore and we must take out a separate membership for him, which just adds another cost. I tried to point this out to member services via an email and got a pretty glib response. It is disappointing from my end as we have been cats interstate family members for many years. Seems a dumb call from them as it is only another $70 but it has cost them $200 and 4 memberships. For me its the principle not so much the money

I wont be renewing my family membership this year. According to the family age criteria a 15 year old kid doesn't qualify to be a member of my family anymore and we must take out a separate membership for him, which just adds another cost. I tried to point this out to member services via an email and got a pretty glib response. It is disappointing from my end as we have been cats interstate family members for many years. Seems a dumb call from them as it is only another $70 but it has cost them $200 and 4 memberships. For me its the principle not so much the money
Official Cats

I wonder if the recent membership special will turn a few people off for next season. A lot might think why the hell will I buy a membership in December when I can wait until March and get it at a a third of the price.. and if Geelong don't end up offering the promo again (which I doubt they will) many will miss out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the recent membership special will turn a few people off for next season. A lot might think why the hell will I buy a membership in December when I can wait until March and get it at a a third of the price.. and if Geelong don't end up offering the promo again (which I doubt they will) many will miss out.

Exactly.
Great deal for the people in the position to sign up recently.
Not so great if you've pre paid for your membership already.
Really begs the question why bother with the committed cats program or re newing your membership before March.

IMO the idea is correct but the timing is wrong...

They need to reward or entice people to member up early - do it once but do it in Jan or something - I guess the opposite to that is too early its clashing with people on holidays, cricket season etc..

And they want to get the footy hype I suppose so the week before the season starts is the right time

GO CATTERS!!

IMO the idea is correct but the timing is wrong...

They need to reward or entice people to member up early - do it once but do it in Jan or something - I guess the opposite to that is too early its clashing with people on holidays, cricket season etc..

And they want to get the footy hype I suppose so the week before the season starts is the right time

GO CATTERS!!
Yep, obviously a ploy timed to get as many new supporters onboard as possible.
However, i think that people who are 50/50 about renewing next year for whatever reason /or on the payment plan will now simply wait it out in view of the heavily discounted memberships offered a few days ago.

However, i think that people who are 50/50 about renewing next year for whatever reason /or on the payment plan will now simply wait it out in view of the heavily discounted memberships offered a few days ago.
agreed... hence my suggestion to bring it forward if done again.... :thumbsu:

GO Catters

In all seriousness it is something I will absolutely consider going forward.
Would be mad not too, especially if the little man, and then little lady are interested and want to be able to go to the footy with dad as well

Probably a once off, and now that all these extra members are no doubt in the "auto renewal" program a fair few will stay on either not being bothered to opt out or oblivious to being auto renewed.

Probably a once off, and now that all these extra members are no doubt in the "auto renewal" program a fair few will stay on either not being bothered to opt out or oblivious to being auto renewed.

I have been NON auto renewal for the last 7years.

I had not rolled over yet and was lining up to do it this week when the news broke of the deal.

I have not accepted any terms for auto renew and will go ballistic if it happens next year.

It is unlawful for them to do that without consent.

Go Catters

I have been NON auto renewal for the last 7years.

I had not rolled over yet and was lining up to do it this week when the news broke of the deal.

I have not accepted any terms for auto renew and will go ballistic if it happens next year.

It is unlawful for them to do that without consent.

Go Catters

It definitely is for online sign ups, there is a box you CANNOT untick that says auto renewal or a paragraph of some sort.

So, depending on how the member services fill out the form or there is a different process for over the phone registrations.

I think their consent is you signing up online, though I am not a lawyer so not sure of the nuances of contract law (if it falls under this).

It definitely is for online sign ups, there is a box you CANNOT untick that says auto renewal or a paragraph of some sort.

So, depending on how the member services fill out the form or there is a different process for over the phone registrations.

I think their consent is you signing up online, though I am not a lawyer so not sure of the nuances of contract law (if it falls under this).

I have only ever renewed over the phone and never over the net.

There is no disclosure statement or PDS that is assigned to that phone call so I cant imagine they can deem current membership as an acceptance of those terms without the customer (us) accepting those terms. At least online, as you say, there is a notification - (albeit an unadjustable one). Phone has no such mentions nor informational advice.

GO Catters

I have only ever renewed over the phone and never over the net.

There is no disclosure statement or PDS that is assigned to that phone call so I cant imagine they can deem current membership as an acceptance of those terms without the customer (us) accepting those terms. At least online, as you say, there is a notification - (albeit an unadjustable one). Phone has no such mentions nor informational advice.

GO Catters

Going forward I will renew via phone.:thumbsu:

Back