St Kilda.............36,681 22-Mar
Melbourne.........36,080 22-Mar
North Melbourne.35,508 22-Mar
Western Bulldogs.34,147 9-Feb
Brisbane............19,669 22-Mar
GWS.................17,184 22-Mar
Gold Coast......... 9,020 25-Feb
Collingwood.......N/A

Most figures available from clubs websites, rest from Footyindustry(@footyindustryau)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn...........69,509 22-Mar
Adelaide............ 68,000 22-Mar
Richmond.......... 65,549 22-Mar
West Coast.........61,259 22-Mar
Essendon...........59,561 22-Mar
Port Adelaide......54,402 22-Mar
Sydney..............52,225 22-Mar
Geelong.............48,044 22-Mar
Fremantle..........46,028 23-Dec
Carlton..............42,566 22-Mar
Collingwood.......N/A

Most figures available from clubs websites, rest from Footyindustry(@footyindustryau)

A couple of those teams numbers are noteworthy, but the stunning one is Carlton's.
Fancy our club having 40% more members than that historically successful club....
Moving forward for them, what becomes interesting is how those numbers do or don't change. Have they missed out on a generation of supporters with their time in the wilderness, general poor management, lack of interest in connecting with their base (I know I know Blues lurkers, much has been done in recent seasons to reach out - but has it been too late?), and difficulty in driving support directly related to geographic area. I mean, how many new supporters can you find in Princes Hill???

Success would bring back quite a few, but they would need a 20 year period of continued relevance playing finals and winning premierships to re-set their brand.

Crazy.

A couple of those teams numbers are noteworthy, but the stunning one is Carlton's.
Fancy our club having 40% more members than that historically successful club....
Moving forward for them, what becomes interesting is how those numbers do or don't change. Have they missed out on a generation of supporters with their time in the wilderness, general poor management, lack of interest in connecting with their base (I know I know Blues lurkers, much has been done in recent seasons to reach out - but has it been too late?), and difficulty in driving support directly related to geographic area. I mean, how many new supporters can you find in Princes Hill???

Success would bring back quite a few, but they would need a 20 year period of continued relevance playing finals and winning premierships to re-set their brand.

Crazy.
Strangely, I couldn't read that without wearing a large grin from start to finish. We need more Carlton stories like this just as a bit of a pick-me-up at the start of every day.

Hawthorn...........69,509 22-Mar
Adelaide............ 68,000 22-Mar
Richmond.......... 65,549 22-Mar
West Coast.........61,259 22-Mar
Essendon...........59,561 22-Mar
Port Adelaide......54,402 22-Mar
Sydney..............52,225 22-Mar
Geelong.............48,044 22-Mar
Fremantle..........46,028 23-Dec
Carlton..............42,566 22-Mar
Collingwood.......N/A

We should note Adelaide, Port & West Coast are limited by capacity, even if larger capacity can reduce membership (supply/demand)
Should also be noted that collingwood have a contract with their sponsors that they purchase any shortfall in memberships. Westpac were purchasing 20k a year, and presumably it would be that with Holden now. Collingwood have a lot of "fans," actual supporters, far from it

We should note Adelaide, Port & West Coast are limited by capacity, even if larger capacity can reduce membership (supply/demand)
Should also be noted that collingwood have a contract with their sponsors that they purchase any shortfall in memberships. Westpac were purchasing 20k a year, and presumably it would be that with Holden now. Collingwood have a lot of "fans," actual supporters, far from it

You are either a supporter (i.e. member) or a barracker (non member).

Aren't the poor bloody Suns a total train wreck? Falling membership numbers with current bad performance and no history worth remembering. Their likely 10k or so members wouldn't pay a quarter of their running costs and there's clearly no likelihood of them becoming self supporting in the foreseeable future. Afl would have been almost better off creating a 100% subsidized team for the NT at a comparable price... Lol. Financial madness with no end in sight.

Aren't the poor bloody Suns a total train wreck? Falling membership numbers with current bad performance and no history worth remembering. Their likely 10k or so members wouldn't pay a quarter of their running costs and there's clearly no likelihood of them becoming self supporting in the foreseeable future. Afl would have been almost better off creating a 100% subsidized team for the NT at a comparable price... Lol. Financial madness with no end in sight.
GC will do well to end up with 20k members, even with success. Simply not that kind of town.
GWS will grow steadily (like Sydney has last 20 years) and end up similar to smaller Vic clubs with 40 - 50k members in 2030.

I think GWS may grow a touch faster imho. There's a lot of people who can identify with success, and TV coverage is vastly better than when the swans were first growing. Intra Sydney rivalry may well help this, and the Swans have helped get footy into the media consciousness there already.

I think GWS may grow a touch faster imho. There's a lot of people who can identify with success, and TV coverage is vastly better than when the swans were first growing. Intra Sydney rivalry may well help this, and the Swans have helped get footy into the media consciousness there already.

Big difference between eastern Sydney and western Sydney. There is no hipster element out in the west who feel that it's trendy to support the contrarian code. A bit like the flogs you see in Melbourne who support the Rebels. If they are up and about and winning this year and getting less than 12,000 at Skoda, but drawing more than that at Manuka then it'll be harder and harder for the AFL to continue basing them where they are and may have to look at basing them in Canberra. Particularly if they win a flag and still don't increase crowds. Canberra has the advantage of being closer to the southern parts of NSW where AFL is more popular.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back