Analysis 2017 Midfield Structure

Remove this Banner Ad

On the money thread ...

Issue for us is Murphy will most likely finish up in 2-3 years and Gibbs has the 3 years left on his contract.

Starting midfield: Gibbs, Murphy, Cripps, Ed Curnow tagging whoever ...

Next cabs off the rank: Palmer, Cuningham, Kerridge ... (to be replaced by C Curnow, SPS and Fisher), possibly Smedts.

Graham covers for injury, I would like to see Docherty have a run in midfield.

Others get midfield minutes (Sumner, Lamb, Pickett ...).

Not in the conversation ... Thomas, Boekhorst.

This is why we went with 2 pure mids with our first 2 picks in the ND. We have gone along way to address our issues at either end of the ground, and I suspect the 2017 draft we will take mids as well.

I don't see where Plowman is going to come from to play midfield this season... Let him actually have a pre-season for the first time in his career.

Charlie, I personally see the potential to become a midfielder, but I just don't see it right now in his second season. I personally wouldn't mind to see him play a role like that of Stringer, and mix sitting deep F50, High F50 and rotations through the midfield where required. Full time mid? Really don't see it.

We need good users like Docherty and Simpson coming off half back, he just won our BnF playing this position. Potentially if our good ball users we recruited this year come on can I see Doc getting a run in the guts... I think Boekhorst could potentially come this player as I think his disposal is neat, but he has to bring a hardness to his game like Docherty does I think.

I think if we suffer injuries this year, particular in the midfield, we will seriously struggle.

I am becoming a bit boyish of Palmer now, I think he could play a really important role with us this season. He really is in our top half dozen midfielders and I think the challenge of him playing in the guts again instead of tagging the oppositions half forward will give him some extra motivation to show his capabilities.
I might have missed the post where Plowman as a mid was mentioned, but where is this coming from? I don't see it. What have we seen from him that says he would make a good mid? Prefer to leave him down back. I can see where talk comes from for guys like Doc and Byrne, but I haven't seen the same attributes from Plowman. Prefer him as a smart defender that can impact a game without getting a heap of touches.

Its coming from me. When we recruited him last year the thought was as a defender but as a big bodied mid too.. nothing would have changed. Pretty sure he wasn't an early pick as an undersized key defender when recruited ... by sos

Its coming from me. When we recruited him last year the thought was as a defender but as a big bodied mid too.. nothing would have changed. Pretty sure he wasn't an early pick as an undersized key defender when recruited ... by sos
Thanks for clarifying. I still don't see it though, personally.

Thanks for clarifying. I still don't see it though, personally.

Fair enough too. It was certainly said at draft time and when we got him across, but seems like crap to me. Hasn't shown anything to me that he could be able to effectively play as a mid. Sure, anyone with a big body can theoretically stand there and try to tackle someone. Just don't see any attributes that would enable him to be able to get more than a handful of hurried possessions.

Will be a gun 3rd or 4th defender for a decade. Leave him there.

Same goes for Doc. We have so many young options to give mid time to now. Keep most of the backline settled, please. Saying this, we might need to give some of the talls time up forward just to get them on the park.

I don't see where Plowman is going to come from to play midfield this season... Let him actually have a pre-season for the first time in his career.

Charlie, I personally see the potential to become a midfielder, but I just don't see it right now in his second season. I personally wouldn't mind to see him play a role like that of Stringer, and mix sitting deep F50, High F50 and rotations through the midfield where required. Full time mid? Really don't see it.

We need good users like Docherty and Simpson coming off half back, he just won our BnF playing this position. Potentially if our good ball users we recruited this year come on can I see Doc getting a run in the guts... I think Boekhorst could potentially come this player as I think his disposal is neat, but he has to bring a hardness to his game like Docherty does I think.

I think if we suffer injuries this year, particular in the midfield, we will seriously struggle.

I am becoming a bit boyish of Palmer now, I think he could play a really important role with us this season. He really is in our top half dozen midfielders and I think the challenge of him playing in the guts again instead of tagging the oppositions half forward will give him some extra motivation to show his capabilities.

Bullish?

Fair enough too. It was certainly said at draft time and when we got him across, but seems like crap to me. Hasn't shown anything to me that he could be able to effectively play as a mid. Sure, anyone with a big body can theoretically stand there and try to tackle someone. Just don't see any attributes that would enable him to be able to get more than a handful of hurried possessions.

Will be a gun 3rd or 4th defender for a decade. Leave him there.

Same goes for Doc. We have so many young options to give mid time to now. Keep most of the backline settled, please. Saying this, we might need to give some of the talls time up forward just to get them on the park.
At least Doc accumulates touches and provides more run. That might be based on differences in their roles, but I would think you would want a defender to be racking up a consistent 20+ touches to be considered for a mid role.

At least Doc accumulates touches and provides more run. That might be based on differences in their roles, but I would think you would want a defender to be racking up a consistent 20+ touches to be considered for a mid role.

Doc would be a very good mid IMO. But he is borderline elite in the HBF category. And the unspoken general of backline. Luckily, I'm certain Bolts sees his value there too, and won't move him.

Doc would be a very good mid IMO. But he is borderline elite in the HBF category. And the unspoken general of backline. Luckily, I'm certain Bolts sees his value there too, and won't move him.

Should definitely leave Doc down back where he starred this year and as you say, will be the general down there.

We should look to the likes of Boek, Cuningham, Pickett, SPS, Fisher etc to push into the midfield.

Should definitely leave Doc down back where he starred this year and as you say, will be the general down there.

We should look to the likes of Boek, Cuningham, Pickett, SPS, Fisher etc to push into the midfield.
So what you're saying is, let the mids push into the midfield? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree totally. I dont remember the fumbling etc early in the year as much. I have put it down to a change of role. I could be wrong
I reckon he was flogged in those first 10 round because of how unfit and lazy some of smalls were. Kreuzer looked similarly cooked at times. That can definitely give you a case of the fumbles.

He can definitely try to do to much with the footy at times (trying to kick 40+ m stab passes at full pace), but let's also not forget he'll turn 24 next season and has 2 years on his contract. I think there's hope yet.

Gone and gone

Not so sure about Boekhorst being gone. I have hopes for him. I think he did ok for a 2nd year lightly built volleyballer who was injured.
i think with some serious gym work and a run at a preseason this guy could surprise a few. Not so sure on Buckley, who doesnt have the youth and injury excuses, and still has a jury out on him

I think Boekhorst is still capable of being a very good player. He is a confidence player and when he came off his preseason this year, he was full of confidence and it showed in the sydney preseason game. Unfortunately i think having a bad game made him lack confidence and he struggled to settle into his role because of his lack of confidence

Key word: Confidence

Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs and E.Curnow have proven they can match or beat the best midfields out there the problem has been rotations - you'd have to add SPS and Cuningham as starting players alongside a fit Pickett - too much class in SPS and Pickett to ignore accelerated development. Boltoin will give these guys a starting role ASAP - he isnt interested in the past as can be attested to by the way he shoved Sumner and Plowman into firsts as soon as he could get them on ground - preseason or no.

Along those lines - look to see Fisher played and probably Polson - sooner rather than later. Similarly, both Smedts and Palmer will be played - and probably Wright - as he has runs on the board. these blokes will push those below into VFL status and depth - but there are some sleepy later picks who might surprise as well.

Thomas/Kerrdige/Boekhurst/Graham will be fighting over a couple of spots. - Kerridge has teh tank to beat these but needs to stop being a fumbler and turnover merchant.

We have the depth to be competitive for longer in 2017 - experience is lacking whuich is why Bolton WILL play youth.

Not so sure about Boekhorst being gone. I have hopes for him. I think he did ok for a 2nd year lightly built volleyballer who was injured.
i think with some serious gym work and a run at a preseason this guy could surprise a few. Not so sure on Buckley, who doesnt have the youth and injury excuses, and still has a jury out on him
Bolton and sos aren't in love with him..he will really need to pull out his digit PLUS show" he isn't looking for places on the ground to hide "...these two wee kept on because they have pace and we never knew how the draft would actually unfold..

Big year for a few

Bolton and sos aren't in love with him..he will really need to pull out his digit PLUS show" he isn't looking for places on the ground to hide "...these two wee kept on because they have pace and we never knew how the draft would actually unfold..

Big year for a few

I think his injuries held him back.

Bolton and sos don't blame it on the boogie
I guess you mean that SOS and BB think his injuries werent part of the problem- which is possible. But he is fairly light framed and perhaps needs to toughen up a lot to make it. Shouldnt they give him another preseason and an injury free run before passing judgement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back