2017 midfielders watch

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Who are the best midfielders coming out of contract either as free agents or potential trade targets at the conclusion of the 2017 season? Nat Fyfe, Dustin Martin, Dylan Shiel and Josh Kelly are 4 that spring to mind.

Which clubs will be on the hunt for these guys? I could see the Saints, Crows and Hawks chasing these players.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
With 3 first rounders (as things stand right now) as trade assets and a seriously huge amount of salary cap space to play with (especially if Roo happens to retire at the end of 2017), I imagine we'll be going exceptionally hard at one or more of those mentioned.

Another one that I could see being in very high demand is Jacob Hopper. Touk Miller might also be due to come OOC at the end of next year as well.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With 3 first rounders (as things stand right now) as trade assets and a seriously huge amount of salary cap space to play with (especially if Roo happens to retire at the end of 2017), I imagine we'll be going exceptionally hard at one or more of those mentioned.

Another one that I could see being in very high demand is Jacob Hopper. Touk Miller might also be due to come OOC at the end of next year as well.
Yeah I just remembered Rockliff is as well although no one showed much interest in him this year. I can't see Hopper leaving the Giants after just two seasons particularly being a NSW boy. Touk Miller would be very unlikely to leave the Suns as well I'd have thought. I haven't seen any other young player buy into the Suns like Miller has with the exception of Lynch and May who were apart of the inaugural Suns team. Miller seems to love the GC and is striving towards being a long term leader at the Suns.

I'll be curious to see what Dylan Shiel and Josh Kelly do. They appear to have really bought into the Giants culture and committed to the future direction but that will be tested again this season as clubs offer them big money. I could see some clubs seeing the appeal in throwing a big money 6-7 year deal at a guy like Kelly who looks certain to be a gun, classy mid for the next 10 years. A very safe investment I'd have thought.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
All the talk seems to be that Kelly loves it there and has no particular desire to leave and I've heard that GWS also believe that Shiel will stay, but that Hopper actually wants to come and play footy in Melbourne and given the fact that their salary cap is likely to be pretty tight, if that's correct and Melbourne clubs come at him with offers that are much higher than GWS make him, he might actually be relatively easy to extract.

Need to remember that he came from a remote/country location that is actually closer to Melbourne than it is to Sydney and that he spent his last two years prior to being drafted boarding in Ballarat and playing in the TAC Cup, so it's not like he's born and bred in Sydney, or anything like that. Both Josh Bruce and Jack Steele were from Canberra (where GWS actually play games) and yet they were both happy to leave them to come to Melbourne, so I don't see Jacob being from NSW necessarily making a lot of difference. It might if he was playing for NSW, as opposed to GWS, but that's not the case.

Will be interesting to see what he does. Could see Carlton of course having a massive crack at him, to partner Cripps for the next decade.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
All the talk seems to be that Kelly loves it there and has no particular desire to leave and I've heard that GWS also believe that Shiel will stay, but that Hopper actually wants to come and play footy in Melbourne and given the fact that their salary cap is likely to be pretty tight, if that's correct and Melbourne clubs come at him with offers that are much higher than GWS make him, I expect he'll be the easiest one to land of the 3.

Need to remember that he came from a remote/country location that is actually closer to Melbourne than it is to Sydney and that he spent his last two years prior to being drafted boarding in Ballarat, so it's not like he's born and bred in Sydney, or anything like that. Both Josh Bruce and Jack Steele were from Canberra (where GWS actually play games) and yet they were both happy to leave them to come to Melbourne, so I don't see him being from NSW necessarily making a lot of difference. It might if he was playing for NSW, as opposed to GWS, but that's not the case.
I see what you mean but I think the main reasons Bruce and Steele departed were for opportunity whereas I don't think Hopper will be starved of that next year. It will be interesting to see though. Hopper is a young gun that's for sure.

On an unrelated note it just dawned on me how scary the Giants midfielders/forward flankers truly are:eek:

Callan Ward
Ryan Griffen
Tom Scully
Dylan Shiel
Stephen Coniglio
Brett Deledio
Steve Johnson
Josh Kelly
Devon Smith
Lachie Whitfield
Toby Greene
Jacob Hopper
Tim Taranto
Will Setterfield
Matthew Kennedy

You can't exactly see de Boer or Mzungu getting any games can you?

Last edited:
Yeah I just remembered Rockliff is as well although no one showed much interest in him this year. I can't see Hopper leaving the Giants after just two seasons particularly being a NSW boy. Touk Miller would be very unlikely to leave the Suns as well I'd have thought. I haven't seen any other young player buy into the Suns like Miller has with the exception of Lynch and May who were apart of the inaugural Suns team. Miller seems to love the GC and is striving towards being a long term leader at the Suns.

I'll be curious to see what Dylan Shiel and Josh Kelly do. They appear to have really bought into the Giants culture and committed to the future direction but that will be tested again this season as clubs offer them big money. I could see some clubs seeing the appeal in throwing a big money 6-7 year deal at a guy like Kelly who looks certain to be a gun, classy mid for the next 10 years. A very safe investment I'd have thought.

Seems like a bumper year, but no doubt after the new year some will start to sign on.

I think interest in Rockliff will pick up, he's probably the biggest name that's an achievable target as a Free Agent. Think Richmond and Fremantle would be able to force a trade similar to Adelaide if either Fyfe or Dusty wants to leave. This year seemed like we were forcing him out, and a quiet but productive year will have other clubs extremely interested.

Out of the Giants youngster, I see Kennedy as the most likely to go. Decent talent but will find it hard again this year to break in, no doubt clubs will be putting in some work. Shiels and Kelly we've seen what a big offer can do, would be next to impossible for GWS to match, but they'll want decent trade value.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I see what you mean but I think the main reasons Bruce and Steele departed were for opportunity whereas I don't think Hopper will be starved of that next year. It will be interesting to see though. Hopper is a young gun that's for sure.

On an unrelated note it just dawned on me how scary the Giants midfielders/forward flankers truly are:eek:

Callan Ward
Ryan Griffen
Tom Scully
Dylan Shiel
Stephen Coniglio
Brett Deledio
Steve Johnson
Josh Kelly
Devon Smith
Lachie Whitfield
Toby Greene
Jacob Hopper
Tim Taranto
Will Setterfield
Matthew Kennedy

You can't exactly see de Boer or Mzungu getting any games can you?
And they will trade one or two out for another top 5 selection or two and just keep it going. thinking the afl may have overdone the draft pick consessions when they put their own team in the comp

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Seems like a bumper year, but no doubt after the new year some will start to sign on.

I think interest in Rockliff will pick up, he's probably the biggest name that's an achievable target as a Free Agent. Think Richmond and Fremantle would be able to force a trade similar to Adelaide if either Fyfe or Dusty wants to leave. This year seemed like we were forcing him out, and a quiet but productive year will have other clubs extremely interested.

Out of the Giants youngster, I see Kennedy as the most likely to go. Decent talent but will find it hard again this year to break in, no doubt clubs will be putting in some work. Shiels and Kelly we've seen what a big offer can do, would be next to impossible for GWS to match, but they'll want decent trade value.
I think we'd be close to last on Matthew Kennedy's wish list but I'd love for us to lure him North to the Gabba. He's a super talent.

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Shiel and Patton are essentially the whole market in Western Sydney - no way will the club let Shiel leave, he could become their highest paid player I reckon. I can't see him wanting to leave either, he loves GWS.
What do you mean the whole market? As in marketing?

Surprising that Cameron and Ward aren't more involved if thats the case.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
All the talk seems to be that Kelly loves it there and has no particular desire to leave and I've heard that GWS also believe that Shiel will stay, but that Hopper actually wants to come and play footy in Melbourne and given the fact that their salary cap is likely to be pretty tight, if that's correct and Melbourne clubs come at him with offers that are much higher than GWS make him, he might actually be relatively easy to extract.

Need to remember that he came from a remote/country location that is actually closer to Melbourne than it is to Sydney and that he spent his last two years prior to being drafted boarding in Ballarat and playing in the TAC Cup, so it's not like he's born and bred in Sydney, or anything like that. Both Josh Bruce and Jack Steele were from Canberra (where GWS actually play games) and yet they were both happy to leave them to come to Melbourne, so I don't see Jacob being from NSW necessarily making a lot of difference. It might if he was playing for NSW, as opposed to GWS, but that's not the case.

Will be interesting to see what he does. Could see Carlton of course having a massive crack at him, to partner Cripps for the next decade.

Talk from who?

The super sauces on the Saints think that he is from Melb. Not a great start.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Talk from who?

The super sauces on the Saints think that he is from Melb. Not a great start.
I first heard it from someone who I believe has a family connection with the club and who is also meant to have good GWS mail and someone else said something pretty much identical on our board yesterday (that he's hearing from multiple mates (who presumably know him from footy or whatever) that Hopper wants to come and play in Melb, but that Kelly and Shiel aren't going anywhere), which is I'm guessing the post you're referring to. That post didn't say that he is from Melbourne, but that he wants to come "back"- presumably to Victoria, where he played TAC Cup footy, which would have included playing in Melbourne.

There are meant to be plenty who like being at GWS because they like being anonymous up there in Sydney and being able to just go about their lives without getting interrupted or recognised, but it may just be that Hopper is the opposite and wants to be front and centre in Melbourne and that would fit in with some of what I've read about him on here, that he's meant to be a pretty brash and cocky character. He might be someone who craves the limelight and as such wants to come and play most of his footy in Melbourne.

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I first heard it from someone who I believe has a family connection with the club and who is also meant to have good GWS mail and someone else said something pretty much identical on our board yesterday (that he's hearing from multiple mates (who presumably know him from footy or whatever) that Hopper wants to come and play in Melb, but that Kelly and Shiel aren't going anywhere), which is I'm guessing the post you're referring to. That post didn't say that he is from Melbourne, but that he wants to come "back"- presumably to Victoria, where he played TAC Cup footy, which would have included playing in Melbourne.

There are meant to be plenty who like being at GWS because they like being anonymous up there in Sydney and being able to just go about their lives without getting interrupted or recognised, but it may just be that Hopper is the opposite and wants to be front and centre in Melbourne and that would fit in with some of what I've read about him on here, that he's meant to be a pretty brash and cocky character. He might be someone who craves the limelight and as such wants to come and play most of his footy in Melbourne.

He certainly comfortable doing the media stuff. Remember listen to the boys on the run home on SEN interviewing him and he sounded like a very likeable kind of kid, they were saying how usually when they talk to a young player who has just been drafted, it's hard work to do a ten minute interview as it's starts to get boring, said they could have talked to him all afternoon because the kid had personality and was interesting.
Could definitely see him being the kind of kid that wants to play footy in Melbourne.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS

Very perceptive. If you live in Melbourne, Kudos:thumbsu:

Players mention the anonymity in interviews a lot. I revall the Swans used to turn up at Clovelky sometimes early in ghe morning for a swim, and I was probably the only one interested. They were approachable and not showing any signs of the defensive annoyance you'd probably get in any other state.
Think it works both ways though, I think stardom was an influence on Treloar and poosibly Boyd leaving, plus money of course.
:cool: Maybe we'll end up with less narcissitic petsonalities long term, seems to work ok for the Swans.

Scullywag

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Shiel is the only one I can see us letting go as stupid as it sounds but I think the proven skill of Kelly and Hopper is better than Shiel alone.

ParapMarkets

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

Saints have the Hawks first rounder and their own, I didn't realise you had a third first round pick. Where did you get the third pick from?

borderbarry

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
. Leeton is a heap closer to Melbourne than it is to Sydney. Here in Wodonga we are 300 km from Melbourne and 560 km from Sydney.
All of the Riverina area of NSW where GWS recruit from, has closer ties to Melbourne than Sydney. Most of the boys play footy in Victoria in the TAC Cup.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Saints have the Hawks first rounder and their own, I didn't realise you had a third first round pick. Where did you get the third pick from?
The 2018 draft. At the end of next year we'll have the 3 first rounders as trade assets for next year's trade/FA period, as we'll be able to trade both of next year's firsts and also our 2018 first, if necessary.

Back