2017 midfielders watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Be more than happy for Kelly's good mate and 2016 holiday partner Marcus Bontempelli to get in his ear this year.
One more A grade mid and we'd be set in the middle for the next 10 years.

Be more than happy for Kelly's good mate and 2016 holiday partner Marcus Bontempelli to get in his ear this year.
One more A grade mid and we'd be set in the middle for the next 10 years.
Josh Kelly is such a gun. Instantly adds class to any midfield in the AFL and improves every midfield in the AFL.

The 2018 draft. At the end of next year we'll have the 3 first rounders as trade assets for next year's trade/FA period, as we'll be able to trade both of next year's firsts and also our 2018 first, if necessary.
The Saints only used one 1st round pick in 2015 and zero in 2016 though, meaning you still only have two as trade assets, as clubs must use two in a four-year period. You'll still need to use one in the draft.

The Saints only used one 1st round pick in 2015 and zero in 2016 though, meaning you still only have two as trade assets, as clubs must use two in a four-year period. You'll still need to use one in the draft.
I don't think that's the case, or else Geelong wouldn't have been able to trade next year's first for Touhy was it, after trading away their 2015 and 2016 firsts for Danger, Hendo and co?

I think it would just mean we'd have to trade in another first rounder somehow in 2018 if we did trade away all 3 next year.

I don't think that's the case, or else Geelong wouldn't have been able to trade next year's first for Touhy was it, after trading away their 2015 and 2016 firsts for Danger, Hendo and co?

I think it would just mean we'd have to trade in another first rounder somehow in 2018 if we did trade away all 3 next year.
The AFL just make exceptions to every rule, the Cats need to trade in a first rounder in the next two trade periods and use their other one in 2018 to make the cut.

The AFL just make exceptions to every rule, the Cats need to trade in a first rounder in the next two trade periods and use their other one in 2018 to make the cut.
Cats must've argued they're in flag mode.

If Saints make the 8 or even win a final, they could argue they're in flag mode.

On a side note, Cats are a good side, not a great side in my humble opinion.

Apparently North approached Heeney's management with a multi-million dollar deal according to channel seven.

Any club would be stupid not to ask the question of Heeney. Don't think he'll be going anywhere personally, and can't see North being too appealing for another couple of years. North will go backwards before they go forward again.

Plus trading for Heeney wouldn't be that beneficial to North. He'd be worth either 2 first round picks, or 1 and a very good sweetener. North need to add more than 1 solid player to their midfield to replenish the stocks. Better to take the Bulldogs model and hit the draft for a few years and stockpile homegrown talent.

If Heeney were to leave, it'd probably be to a club that's closer to a premiership and who can afford the high price in terms of draft picks.

Any club would be stupid not to ask the question of Heeney. Don't think he'll be going anywhere personally, and can't see North being too appealing for another couple of years. North will go backwards before they go forward again.

Plus trading for Heeney wouldn't be that beneficial to North. He'd be worth either 2 first round picks, or 1 and a very good sweetener. North need to add more than 1 solid player to their midfield to replenish the stocks. Better to take the Bulldogs model and hit the draft for a few years and stockpile homegrown talent.

If Heeney were to leave, it'd probably be to a club that's closer to a premiership and who can afford the high price in terms of draft picks.
We haven't lost a heap of midfield stocks, especially with Hvorat, Dumont, Mountford, Atley/McDonald (with the addition of Williams allowing north to put one in the midfield) Higgins, Junker, Anderson, Hibberd and Simpkin filling out our lower tier midfield depth.

We really need just need that a-grade talent coming through, really we need two a grade talents. Simpkin and Ahern are complete unknowns, so chasing Heeney makes sense in a way, but we also got academy and a few father sons coming up over the next few years, so it weakens our ability to trade for a-grade talent.

We haven't lost a heap of midfield stocks, especially with Hvorat, Dumont, Mountford, Atley/McDonald (with the addition of Williams allowing north to put one in the midfield) Higgins, Junker, Anderson, Hibberd and Simpkin filling out our lower tier midfield depth.

We really need just need that a-grade talent coming through, really we need two a grade talents. Simpkin and Ahern are complete unknowns, so chasing Heeney makes sense in a way, but we also got academy and a few father sons coming up over the next few years, so it weakens our ability to trade for a-grade talent.

That's true. I guess a lot will come down to the development of those lower to mid-tier players in 2017. I mean Ahern is a write off for the year, and Simpkin will probably take a good season and additional pre-season to become big enough and fit enough for AFL given he lost this year to injury. Hrovat is an interesting one, injury held him back at the Dogs and I guess it's still not clear whether he'll be an AFL mid or small forward. Higgins is good, but isn't the future. I think Dumont, McDonald, Hibberd and Anderson will be the ones to watch. If two of those guys can become consistent B+ midfielders, it sets you up to go after a 'star'. But then that raises the question of whether Heeney is the guy you go after? Definitely shows a lot of promise, and could have a very high ceiling, but at his age/experience, it's still a matter of some speculation. He isn't elite yet, and although it looks probable, it isn't a sure bet. Given what he'd cost, personally I'd rather go after someone like Shiel, who would cost a similar amount in terms of a trade, but has a lot more runs on the board and is still young enough to give North a bigger window for success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's true. I guess a lot will come down to the development of those lower to mid-tier players in 2017. I mean Ahern is a write off for the year, and Simpkin will probably take a good season and additional pre-season to become big enough and fit enough for AFL given he lost this year to injury. Hrovat is an interesting one, injury held him back at the Dogs and I guess it's still not clear whether he'll be an AFL mid or small forward. Higgins is good, but isn't the future. I think Dumont, McDonald, Hibberd and Anderson will be the ones to watch. If two of those guys can become consistent B+ midfielders, it sets you up to go after a 'star'. But then that raises the question of whether Heeney is the guy you go after? Definitely shows a lot of promise, and could have a very high ceiling, but at his age/experience, it's still a matter of some speculation. He isn't elite yet, and although it looks probable, it isn't a sure bet. Given what he'd cost, personally I'd rather go after someone like Shiel, who would cost a similar amount in terms of a trade, but has a lot more runs on the board and is still young enough to give North a bigger window for success.
You've got good knowledge of our players, so well done on that front.

I agree with all your points, I rather we look at Kelly (barracked for north as a kid and his father I believe played for us) and even Hopper (still a few question marks over him becoming an a-grader) as they might be a bit cheaper in terms of picks, but they'll still cost a lot.

North's list come round one in 2018 is going to be very different from 2016's early season list. I say Brad will be gone at the end of next year as we won't make finals, but I don't believe that we'll bottom out completely as we still have a lot of experience left over.

Reckon they may even be able to sign the whole lot of the 'five'.

Shiel wouldn't get any more than 600 though, he would have offers of 900 in Victoria though.

Success may impact who leaves

Last edited:
You've got good knowledge of our players, so well done on that front.

I agree with all your points, I rather we look at Kelly (barracked for north as a kid and his father I believe played for us) and even Hopper (still a few question marks over him becoming an a-grader) as they might be a bit cheaper in terms of picks, but they'll still cost a lot.

North's list come round one in 2018 is going to be very different from 2016's early season list. I say Brad will be gone at the end of next year as we won't make finals, but I don't believe that we'll bottom out completely as we still have a lot of experience left over.

Kelly would be a great get.

Yeah I agree, you guys are in a good position. You took a punt with bringing in experienced players (Dal Santo, Waite etc) which didn't pay off as you would have hoped, but it didn't cost you in terms of draft picks and allowed you to stockpile some decent young KPP's. You definitely won't have to bottom out like other clubs have.

I think you're right about Brad Scott, but ironically he could end up being the mastermind behind your next premiership tilt. One of the main reasons you won't have to bottom out is that he's managed to keep those previous picks and made the tough decision to shed a truck load of experience as well as crowd favourites at the end of last season. Being proactive in your list management may very well end up being a Godsend. Other clubs would have held onto a few of those older guys as their output was still quite decent this year. That in turn would most likely have cost you the ability to bring in some of the new guys like Hrovat, and even forced someone like Mason Wood to look for other opportunities. I wish Carlton had have been as realistic in our list assessment a couple of years ago. Blind Freddie knew we didn't have a team capable of winning a flag, but we didn't do anything about it until it was too late.

I think it will be a case of one step back to go two steps forward for North. Get games into Sam Durdin and Ben McKay, continue to develop Wood and Brown, probably add another defender or two and then get as much quality into your midfield as possible.

Talk seems to be Kelly likely to re-sign before the start of round one, however Hopper on the other hand..

Would hope WCE makes a offer for Kelly most of his family on mum and dads side live in WA.
So wouldn't too much home sickness to come to WA.

Also Hooper didnt he grow up in WA then move to east coast ?

And they will trade one or two out for another top 5 selection or two and just keep it going. thinking the afl may have overdone the draft pick consessions when they put their own team in the comp
Well.Until clubs refuse to trade(1st rnd picks) for any.It will continue.

Kelly's dad played for north didn't he but didn't play enough games for father son

Kelly's dad played for north didn't he but didn't play enough games for father son
Phil, 61 games in the 1980's. Josh barracked for north as a kid apparently. I would love to get him at north, but it'll be really hard to get him now.

The AFL changed the rule. As long as you currently have 2 out of the last 4, you can trade a future one. Which means effectively you can be in the position that you can have 1 first round out of 4 years. Stupid of them, but heh, what do we expect?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back