2017 mission draft ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie Constable, why so low. Again it is about perception of where he will end up. I can not see him developing into an elite talent as I can not find an outstanding trait, skills ok, athletic ability ok, knowledge of the game ok, competitiveness ok. just a lot of ok's. This then leaves me with an upside of being a player like Douglas and a downside of a Lennon. When picking the higher end I want something that excites me and that just does not happen so for me he gets pushed down to the middle of the draft where you look at good consistent players against players with a great asset but also has some noticeable weaknesses in their game. With constable there is a bit of where does he play, not sure that he can play high forward and I don't think he will be good off of half back so even though he has size on his side he has to try and fight his way into a midfield to get games and that is a hard gig. If he can land at a club with a lot of leg speed that will help him.

Charlie Constable, why so low. Again it is about perception of where he will end up. I can not see him developing into an elite talent as I can not find an outstanding trait, skills ok, athletic ability ok, knowledge of the game ok, competitiveness ok. just a lot of ok's. This then leaves me with an upside of being a player like Douglas and a downside of a Lennon. When picking the higher end I want something that excites me and that just does not happen so for me he gets pushed down to the middle of the draft where you look at good consistent players against players with a great asset but also has some noticeable weaknesses in their game. With constable there is a bit of where does he play, not sure that he can play high forward and I don't think he will be good off of half back so even though he has size on his side he has to try and fight his way into a midfield to get games and that is a hard gig. If he can land at a club with a lot of leg speed that will help him.

Cleanest inside player at Vic Metro, best intercept mark at Vic Metro, nearly best by hand and foot in the u18 Champs.

Has played as a halfback every season throughout his junior career until 2017 when he moved into the midfield for school, TAC and U18 champs. Didn’t miss a beat.

Speed of footy brain makes up for lack of foot speed.

Constable is a very upright player and gets most of his possessions in transition or outside of the stoppage, if he had leg speed he would become damaging but he relies on being able to flick the ball around to those that can and he does this well. You will generally not see Constable being the last one up off the ground when the umpire calls for a stoppage, he is does not do that inside grunt work that a player like Dow does. As a defender at AFL level I am very much of the opinion you need leg speed. He does get to where the ball is going to go very well and this will give him a chance at AFL level but unlike most I don't have him a lock to make it at AFL level but that does not mean he can not become an effective AFL footballer

What do you like about Stephenson? Does his kicking not concern you?

Im struggling to think of a suitable player comparison for him, not that that's a bad thing, but its nice to sometimes project what sort of player a particular draftee can potentially become. Do you have a player comparison for him?

What do you like about Stephenson? Does his kicking not concern you?

Im struggling to think of a suitable player comparison for him, not that that's a bad thing, but its nice to sometimes project what sort of player a particular draftee can potentially become. Do you have a player comparison for him?

The kicking is an interesting one. I will start with do I have concerns about Dangerfield's and Fyfe's kick? Yes I do, do I have concerns about Stephenson's kicking, yes I do. That concern stops me from putting him into pick 2. His kicking is not a disaster zone it just is not elite. There were signs towards the end of the season that he was getting more reliable with his kicking.
The massive positive with Stephenson is he came on the scene in under 16's and looked like the next great CHF. The kid stopped growing and realised he had to become a midfielder. In one season he has developed from a midfielder to an elite midfielder. He starter the year as an outside mid who just ran and gunned it. By the end of the year he was winning strong inside football distributing it, buying time in traffic and using his vision to choose options by foot. This is so rare to see a kid so drastically evolve his game, to me this puts him in a great position as I have faith in him that he will be able to adapt to AFL and to any evolution of AFL he will come across.
I hate comparisons but the most obvious one for me is Koutoufides, he is and will never be as smooth as kouta, of the current crop I guess Heppel although there was a temptation to say Fyfe.

Can you tell us your thoughts on Domic Mish? You've mentioned him a few times on the Port board and have him rated highly here.

The last few times you jump on a player like this we've ended up drafting rippers in SPP and Byrne-Jones.

Constable's mix of sure hands and vision are unparalleled compared to his cohorts, if he slides outside the top 10, he will make many recruiters look very foolish

Still to this day, I cannot understand why people rate CCJ.

Yeah not surprising as you are no good at judging talent Mr T, just kidding. Ruckmen oh my you can do your hear in with them the odds are they need 4 years in the system to find out if you are right or not. Even though I have CCJ ranked in the 20's I would not call his name out until the 40's. I just want to feel that I am getting value for ruckman. I could get Hollencamp as a rookie and still have a decent product to work with.

CCJ is hard to judge this year because he has obviously been carrying some niggles through the year. I am basing this on him appearing to lose his leap at the ball this year. As a ruckman his tap work is not great but what is great is his knowledge of where to tap the ball, this is hard to teach but the art of tapping is more teachable. At ground level he gets involved, hopefully with time he gets a bit more physical. When he gets the ball at ground level unlike most ruckmen he is poised and can find good options at good times with his hands. His kicking mechanics are very disjointed at the moment but the ball drop in itself is consistent which more times than not allows him to make clean contact. He gets criticised for low numbers at the 2016 carnival but people need to remember he was only getting 50% game time which makes the stats look quite good. He is in no way a sexy type of ruckmen but I have confidence that he can get the job done and influence a game around the ground. He has the added benefit of being able to mark the ball in the forward line and unlike most ruckmen he does not just rely on his size. Someone has put time into him when he was young and has taught him how to use his body one on one which is going to make it hard for defenders. Engine is a problem but when isn't it with a ruckman.

I wouldn't either but of all the mid guys I saw this year nobody played a more outstanding/eye catching game than Clark that day, I had him high in the players I wanted at the Crows before that day but that game sold me big time. With the doubts about Rory Sloane's future now up in the air Hunter Clark is the closest match to Rory in this draft by quite a stretch.

Clark is a huge chance to get to the Crows, if not picked up by Saints then he should be available to Adelaide who have shown a lot of interest.

Clark is a huge chance to get to the Crows, if not picked up by Saints then he should be available to Adelaide who have shown a lot of interest.
Assume this is from Landsberger's comments?

Would love it to happen. Can see it too, Saints could go with Stephenson and Bonar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Clark gets through to the Crows I will be putting feelers out to see what the off field issues were. Massive get for the Crows if that was to happen. So funny if Clark goes at 12 and Petrucelle was to go at 18.

mission, what are your thoughts on the 2018 crop?

Are you seeing guys like Lukosius, Walsh and Rankine etc as being special special talents?

If Clark gets through to the Crows I will be putting feelers out to see what the off field issues were. Massive get for the Crows if that was to happen. So funny if Clark goes at 12 and Petrucelle was to go at 18.

No off field issues, you couldn't meet a more level headed kid and from a great family. Carlton or GWS haven't shown any real interest, if Saints don't pick him up he should last until Adelaide.

Domic, my reach of the draft and yes I am weighing a lot on future development in having him this high. I see a lot of Jared Polec in the way that he plays. He is very outside but can still rack up good numbers when his side is going s**t which is most often the case. Nice long leg. Excellent endurance. Pace has apparently tested poor, I call bull dust on that and he has sufficient pave on a football field. His inside work got better as the team went on. When you watch him tour instinct says that he is afraid to get in there but when he is in there he is quite strong and powerful. For him I actually think he is learning when to go in and when to stay out. The fact at the moment he is hesitating with his decision making contributes to him looking soft. To me he is one who has the scope to be one of the most damaging players from this years group yet he could also be one of the first delisted. I am very much leaning towards the succeeding end of the scale. At 185cm 80kg and a big tank he can be given games next year and you can start him as a high forward.
His handball receive numbers are hige and this shows he knows how to play football.
He reads like a kid who works at his game and looks to play better when the game is at a higher level.
IIRC he was part of the aborigonal team to travel overseas at under 16 level.
For the older Port fan the player comparison is Rohan Smith

mission, what are your thoughts on the 2018 crop?

Are you seeing guys like Lukosius, Walsh and Rankine etc as being special special talents?
I love Walsh. Lukosious is special. Rankine elite.
There are so many next year already on the radar.
Brain fade on names from tac cup. A couple of great half backs one at oakleigh. Someone has a small wingman running around in number 11. Hill from wa. Then there is the kings and williams. Plenty more i cant recall the name of.
I don't look at next years crop until after the draft but i can honestly say i know more about next years crop than any other year and that is not from trying

yeh a lot of familiar names already. im not sure if its because they are so good as 17y.o or because this years crop is not great?

Rankine
Lukosius
Kings
Walsh
Bytel
Caldwell
Hill
Rozee
Williams
Tarryn Thomas

etc etc

Why Giro so high, yeah good question but I am a sucker for people who can run who can also find the ball. That tends to allow them to progress into the next level. More of an outside link player who gets a lot of uncontested marks. He has a very good short kick on his left which he uses to spot up targets. His team mates will learn this and will catch out the zoning defenders. Even though he is outside when it is his turn to crack in he will crack in, not the strongest part of his game but I also like outside players who when it is time to get in they actually give it a fair crack. I also like to project how interstate player would go in the TAC Cup and I think he would have been close to the most dominant small behind Higgins. I am not a lover of short players but the way he plays football being small has little to no effect. To me he has endurance, pace and strength to play AFL and he knows how to find and use the pill.

Domic, my reach of the draft and yes I am weighing a lot on future development in having him this high. I see a lot of Jared Polec in the way that he plays. He is very outside but can still rack up good numbers when his side is going s**t which is most often the case. Nice long leg. Excellent endurance. Pace has apparently tested poor, I call bull dust on that and he has sufficient pave on a football field. His inside work got better as the team went on. When you watch him tour instinct says that he is afraid to get in there but when he is in there he is quite strong and powerful. For him I actually think he is learning when to go in and when to stay out. The fact at the moment he is hesitating with his decision making contributes to him looking soft. To me he is one who has the scope to be one of the most damaging players from this years group yet he could also be one of the first delisted. I am very much leaning towards the succeeding end of the scale. At 185cm 80kg and a big tank he can be given games next year and you can start him as a high forward.
His handball receive numbers are hige and this shows he knows how to play football.
He reads like a kid who works at his game and looks to play better when the game is at a higher level.
IIRC he was part of the aborigonal team to travel overseas at under 16 level.
For the older Port fan the player comparison is Rohan Smith

Liked for reference to Rohan Smith. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back