Prediction 2017 Most Valuable Player

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't done this for a few years, so whilst waiting for the rain to subside to get into my garden, thought I would come up with my list.

Note this is not a best player list, but a most important player list. When ranking, think about who we could least afford to lose through injury, suspension or loss of form.

TOP DOZEN
1. Sloane - Our biggest concern is lack of A grade midfielders as we witnessed in round 23.
2. Talia - Even with the emergence of Hartigan & Lever, he is easily our best lockdown defender, who now gets more of the ball
3. Walker - Captain is huge influence on the team, but we showed with Gov we are better placed to cover him.
4. Betts - Sure we have a potent forward line, but no other small forward is near the class of Eddie for goals & assists.
5. B Crouch - Will be our #2 midfielder & key to us making the top 4.
6. Laird - Key small defender whose drive we really missed when injured & came back underdone.
7. M Crouch - Important he has the tank to play more minutes in the guts with Thommo in semi-retirement.
8. Jenkins - Continues to improve as dangerous kpp forward who can chopout in ruck.. but now have Dear emerging.
9. Lynch - Plays the between midfield & forwards role better than anyone & would be higher if not for the emergence of Gov.
10. Smith - Whilst we have recruited other damaging outside midfielder types, if he can return to AA form it will make us dangerous... particularly more in midfield than hbf.
11. Lever - Feel he will take his game to the next level to become a force in defence.
12. Jacobs - Slips down the rankings not because he is less important, but with emergence of ROB. We are less vulnerable.

REST
13. Cameron
14. Knight
15. McGovern
16. Hartigan
17. Atkins
18. Douglas
19. Brown
20. Menzel
21. Milera
22. Seedsman
23. Ellis-Yolmen
24. Hampton
25. O'Brien
26. Cheney
27. Wigg
28. Thompson
29. Dear
30. Poholke
31. Doedee
32. Gallucci
33. Greenwood
34. Keath
35. Otten
36. Kelly
37. Beech
38. Mackay
39. Gore
40. Signorello
41. Davis
42. Hunter
43. Jarman
44. Himmelberg
45. Shaw

Last edited:

1. Sloane. The West Coast game showed how much we needed him.
2. Betts. When Rance goes to him we know he is important
3. Smith. I think we struggled when Smith struggled
4. Talia. With Lever our backline future.
5. Lever. See above
6. Lynch. A great link man who , when Smith is on, creates havoc, when Smith is off and Lynch is smothered we tend to lose.

The rest can be covered by other players.

1.Sloane - R23
2.Talia - KPF dont dominate us bar Franklin. Gives us a chance on the scoreboard.
3.Jacobs - we need him to get back to his best for the midfield to compete. Obrien will be good but not at Sauces best level over next 2 years.
4.Walker - Need him to step his game up now. If he can..
5. Lynch - Key to our gamestyle.
6.B.Crouch - His best is game changing and better than sloane. Lets hope 2017 is the year.
7.Betts - Require similar output as 2016 to outscore our opponents.
8.Smith - Inconsistent over last 2 years. Can he get back to his AA best?
9.Laird - Injury stalled his year but nearly AA. Full year at that level will be important for us.
10.M.Crouch - 3rd best midfielder at such a young age, big responsibility we need him to thrive.
11.Atkins - His best is classy and a point of difference in a game. Can he back up 2016 with more?

Thought the thread said most valuable PLAYER

Without the champion forward line we are screwed, and he is the Champ
You love to argue, but I started this thread so I win on the definition of most valuable as per described in the OP. ;)

Agree with betts.

These types of threads pop up every year, and he's always in the discussion but a little underrated at times.

60-70 goals per year, plus assists. Then there's the X factor, excitement factor, lifts the team and crowd, makes goals out of nothing. A real anti-crow compared to what we've seen post modra and Jarman.

I think he hides a lot of our sins on field, which perhaps also saves the club some heat off it. Don't want to go off topic, but I do wonder how we'd be perceived in the last few years without him.

Betts
Sloane
Talia
Walker
Lynch

I hope its Betts again. Otherwise we might drop off quite a bit from 2016. Thought he carried us at times. Sloane was probably the best player but a mid always steps up. But Betts was just incredible at times. Unplayable.

1. McKay - amazing year but D-Mac, lead the team in contested possessions, uncontested possessions, long kicks, intercept marks, score assists and tackles.
2. CEY - took the next step alright, second only to McKay in uncontested possessions and lead the team in defensive acts.
3. Otten - Superb season, holding down the key defensive post while offering great run from the backline. Kicked 15 goals and shut down key players including Toby Greene, Patrick Danergfield and Lance Franklin
4. Douglas - Took his game to a new level kicking 25 goals as an attacking midfielder. Second to McKay on contested possessions and tackles
5. Shaw - The Crows elevated him from the rookie list in round 11 after injuries to Sloane, Crouch (x2), Talia, Walker, Jenkins, Betts, Jacobs, Knight, Milera, McGovern, Seedsman, Cameron, Hardigan, Brown, Lever, Smith, Atkins, Laird and Thompson took their toll. Played the remaining 11 games and was in the best (only) 5 on each occasion. Was very handy in the round 20 win over Port, when he was only one of 5 players left on the field after half time for the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. McKay - amazing year but D-Mac, lead the team in contested possessions, uncontested possessions, long kicks, intercept marks, score assists and tackles.
2. CEY - took the next step alright, second only to McKay in uncontested possessions and lead the team in defensive acts.
3. Otten - Superb season, holding down the key defensive post while offering great run from the backline. Kicked 15 goals and shut down key players including Toby Greene, Patrick Danergfield and Lance Franklin
4. Douglas - Took his game to a new level kicking 25 goals as an attacking midfielder. Second to McKay on contested possessions and tackles
5. Shaw - The Crows elevated him from the rookie list in round 11 after injuries to Sloane, Crouch (x2), Talia, Walker, Jenkins, Betts, Jacobs, Knight, Milera, McGovern, Seedsman, Cameron, Hardigan, Brown, Lever, Smith, Atkins, Laird and Thompson took their toll. Played the remaining 11 games and was in the best (only) 5 on each occasion. Was very handy in the round 20 win over Port, when he was only one of 5 players left on the field after half time for the Crows.
Lol, now how about the AFL rather than the SANFL side.

Always knew you were perceptive ;)

Brad Crouch by a country mile. All but a couple of games, we carried him last year. The midfield becomes an offensive weapon if reaches his potential.

I know this isnt what the OP asked for, but in answer to the thread title 2017 MVP, since no one else has it, I'll go for a real long shot, Charlie Cameron. His trajectory was starting to look good with some midfield time last season.

Also my prediction for mark bickley award for most improved or best young player or whatever it is, I might also go for another long shot, more to get his forgotten name up in lights for a sec, than to be accurately predicting the award. Jake Kelly. I know we have all sorts of possibilities for this and most people are talking about Menz, Hampton, Greenwood and Knight but he cleaned up his disposal a fair bit last year, was on the verge of getting game time at the end of the season, is coming back with pretty good results in the running and is a very determined fella.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back