MRP / Trib. 2023 MRP Lotto

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For mine there was nothing wrong with either Ziebell's or Gibson's hits.

It's a contact sport, players get hurt.

It's the inconsistency from round to round which is infuriating.

I dont see anything wrong with JZ's hit as he was attacking the ball carrier with intentions of affecting the disposal.

The Gibbo one is slightly different for mine, as i have always said the man on the mark should be protected at all times. Blocking, shepherding even touching the man on the mark should be outlawed imo.

AFL legend Kevin Bartlett has slammed the AFL’s match review panel for failing to protect the man on the mark.

Speaking on Melbourne radio on Wednesday morning, Bartlett labelled the MRP’s decision to clear Hawk Josh Gibson “a disgrace” and “a joke”, saying it let down protecting unsuspecting players for failing to cite the veteran Hawthorn defender.

Ruggles was standing the mark late in the second term in Monday’s clash with the Hawks when Isaac Smith played on with Gibson on hand to assist.

Both players struggled to their feet but Ruggles was forced from the field and played no further part. Bartlett says that showed the bump was of “excessive force” and warranted further action.

“That decision by the match review panel to give the thumbs up to the Josh Gibson incident in taking out Geelong’s Tom Ruggles, is a disgrace,” Bartlett said on SEN.

“The man standing the mark should not be taken out with force when the umpire calls ‘play-on’.

“Talk about being a sitting duck. Ruggles moves sideways to cover Isaac Smith when play on was called from a stop play.

“Ruggles was then poleaxed by Gibson, and those little birds you see in cartoons are birds flying around his head as he lay prostrate on the ground from the impact.

“All this for just standing on the mark. Ruggles could take no further part in the game and is in doubt for this week’s game.

“What a joke. The MRP said the block was not excessive for the situation.

“It sure was, for the force was excessive and unnecessary.

“Then the MRP said Gibson didn’t run a long distance to take out Ruggles. Of course not. When you want to block the man on the mark, you stay in close proximity so you can block — supposedly without force and not taking the player out.

“A player standing the mark should not fear for his safety and be blindsided and picked off.

“The MRP sadly let the game down in protecting unsuspecting players.”

Well * me... Just yesterday i said KB hasnt gotten anything right and now i find myself agreeing with him...

I need a bath.

I don't think Ruggles was on the mark. He was chasing and had zero awareness of the game around him.

KB can shake his tea cup all he likes.

If you don't expect contact in that scenario then we may as well pack up and go home.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/04/20/mrp-handled-ziebell-cloke-clash-the-right-way-boyd/

MRP handled Ziebell/Cloke clash the right way: Boyd

Western Bulldogs veteran Matthew Boyd says the Match Review Panel got it right in not suspending North Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell for his bump on Travis Cloke.

The Kangaroos skipper was cleared by the MRP for the incident that left the new Bulldogs forward facing 4-6 weeks on the sidelines with broken ribs.

However, despite an outcry from sections of the football public – including SEN's own Kevin Bartlett, Boyd told The Run Home that it was all part of the game.

"You never want to see a teammate go down or be injured, it was his 250th which was a shame," the 286-gamer said.

“I saw Trav today and he looked like he was moving better.

“The bump’s part of the game. As long as you don’t hit someone in the head, and you haven’t picked them off from 10-15 metres, as long as you haven’t gone outside the rules.

“I think it was all handled the right way."

The reigning premiers face Brisbane at Etihad Stadium on Saturday afternoon and will be looking to cement their place in the top half of the ladder.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/04/20/mrp-handled-ziebell-cloke-clash-the-right-way-boyd/

Western Bulldogs veteran Matthew Boyd says the Match Review Panel got it right in not suspending North Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell for his bump on Travis Cloke.

The Kangaroos skipper was cleared by the MRP for the incident that left the new Bulldogs forward facing 4-6 weeks on the sidelines with broken ribs.

However, despite an outcry from sections of the football public – including SEN's own Kevin Bartlett, Boyd told The Run Home that it was all part of the game.

"You never want to see a teammate go down or be injured, it was his 250th which was a shame," the 286-gamer said.

“The bump’s part of the game. As long as you don’t hit someone in the head, and you haven’t picked them off from 10-15 metres, as long as you haven’t gone outside the rules.

The reigning premiers face Brisbane at Etihad Stadium on Saturday afternoon and will be looking to cement their place in the top half of the ladder.

No s**t Matthew

Hey stefoid, is Boyd a thug for having this opinion?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trying to make up for BontDoggate???

GEELONG champion Jimmy Bartel and former Carlton defender Michael Jamison have joined the AFL's Match Review Panel for the remainder of this season.

The pair will add to a panel already brimming with football experience, with ex-players Michael Christian, Nathan Burke and Jason Johnson continuing in their roles.

Former Richmond and Adelaide forward Chris Knights has stepped away from his position on the MRP due to work commitments, meaning the panel has effectively grown by one member due to the new appointments.

Bartel retired last year after a distinguished career for the Cats, including three premierships. He was also named the Norm Smith medallist in 2011 and crowned the Brownlow Medallist in 2007.

Jamison's career also came to a close at the end of 2016 after 150 games stationed in Carlton's defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back