2017 MUSIC

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, I was going to let someone else start the thread, but I found this gem of an album that I wanted to share. I enjoy listening to dream pop/jangle pop on shuffle, but outside of a select few albums (namely Long Season by Fishmans, which is one of my all-time favourite albums), I often lose interest when listening to a full album. Flashbulb Memory by Orchid Mantis, however, I thought was a cracker of an album, and I look forward to listening to more from this group.

Cool share - that's a rad tune. Reminds of various cure eras smashed together.

Check out peripheral vision by turnover.....might be up your alley

I'm a big fan of Peripheral Vision, and Turnover are a pretty cool band in general. It's definitely one of the more underrated albums of 2015 and Hello Euphoria is such a great song.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
I'm a big fan of Peripheral Vision, and Turnover are a pretty cool band in general. It's definitely one of the more underrated albums of 2015 and Hello Euphoria is such a great song.
Now I'm determined to find you something new that you like

What about enemies new album:

Or for jangly emo, American footballs new one....or the album by the clear cut copy band chinese football:

Or for jangly emo, American footballs new one....or the album by the clear cut copy band chinese football:

I'll look into them. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The American Football sound should have just been preserved in that first LP. Kind of vexing making that down-tempo college emo sound at 42.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well, I was going to let someone else start the thread, but I found this gem of an album that I wanted to share. I enjoy listening to dream pop/jangle pop on shuffle, but outside of a select few albums (namely Long Season by Fishmans, which is one of my all-time favourite albums), I often lose interest when listening to a full album. Flashbulb Memory by Orchid Mantis, however, I thought was a cracker of an album, and I look forward to listening to more from this group.

Nice Fishmans reference. I've been re-listening to some stuff lately but it nails that late night, melancholia almost too well: like Portishead or Destroyer's Kaputt, The Radio Dept, or bands like that... it is hard to listen to for too long because it ends up colouring your feelings. It succeeds too well.

This year, I'm really looking forward to Vampire Weekend's fourth record. A few years ago Ezra was talking about Kid A, 808s, these fourth records which ended up as an obvious departure or a new gateway for a second era and a refresh for these big bands. I would love to hear their take on electronic stuff, but who knows how they'll cope sans-Rostam. Speaking of... his solo record is due out this year I think, and I cannot wait. There was a song he played last year which was one of the best things I'd heard in ages: his orchestrations are so good. For me, I'm imagining he'll have a break out much like Jamie xx – maybe not so popular, but as good.

Rejjie Snow, Loyle Carner finally should have something concrete. Ah. The two new songs Alvvays have been playing live sound above and beyond the sort of stuff you get from indie rock bands on that level. Real Estate is always good, maybe we'll get some Atlas Sound or Deerhunter, I know Whitney are working on new stuff... the new Toro could be okay, but his stuff lately has always taken ages for it to click for me. I'll keep an eye out for Haim but it could suck. If Taylor Swift drops a record I'll be excited, but if it is anything like that song she did with Zayn Malik I will be disappointed..

Ahh... what else... I can see this year being good for smaller acts, or follow-ups, or just things coming out of nowhere. Everyone loved it but 2016 let me down massively.

I found another Bandcamp gem. I wouldn't be surprised to see this album up there in my end of year rankings, he's managed to make a 69-minute album an interesting and fulfilling listen the whole way through.

I quite like Enemies' sound. It's a real nice, comfortable album. Cheers for the shout. :thumbsu: I've only listened to a bit of Chinese Football, but it has piqued my interest and I look forward to listening to it.

katana

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
what the hell is this new arcade fire song?

say what you will about the cheesiness of their songs at times in the past, but at least they were always good for a banging melody. this thing is so boring and contrived in timing it's almost offensive to expect any listener to imagine it came about organically. maybe i'm cynical but it screams of 'we need a donald trump song!' 'yeah something brooding with a message!' 'hey, let's get a 70-year old black woman!'. that wouldn't even be bad necessarily and there is actually a pretty nice LCD sounding bass-line underneath it, but that guest vocalist sounds like she was recording on a different planet with a band that has always seemed so much about chemistry.

this donald trump presidency threatens to hijack music as we know it. and you just know p4k will start writing reviews down for an artists 'failure to address the political climate' or some other BS. the grizzly bear record is already going to be a turd after daniel had that total meltdown. and it's all a shame because there is possibly some great music to be made amid the hysterical times, but i feel like it'll be the artists who turn away from things, rather than getting on the hype-train.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think political songs have to be shrouded in anti-political words; you don't want to address it immediately. You're better off doing it obtusely or making it a back burning, lower level meaning than the immediate one. And in 2017 complaining about Donald Trump is about the most dull, boring trope possible. It's such an easy and obvious cause to latch onto, to the extent that people who say vaguely offensive and racist s**t on the reg. are still saying Trump is bad.

Bor-*******-ring. This isn't Springsteen, it's not Redgum, and it isn't even ******* Hail to the Thief.

The song itself is pretty bad but Arcade Fire disappeared up their own idea of grandiosity the minute Bowie got into them and James Murphy hung out with them. They've, since Neon Bible, had no idea what their schtick is and no handle on how to approach all the things they used to do so well... they decided to make albums with each song highlighting one positive they had, instead of maybe writing a record where every song brings their positives to the fore but also bring in something new... they can't do Bowie-wank very well and they're not good enough songwriters or interesting enough instrumentally and aesthetically to keep on producing these seven minute songs that go nowhere. Their melodies are middling when they don't have something strong behind it... Reflektor was so bad because of it.

New Gorillaz sucks too. I do hear these lovely choir bits and that Damon-in-Gorillaz-guise bit in the middle section, and the "how will weeee love?" bit he explains about 2:35 in is lovely. But the rest is far too cartoony and maybe not serious enough. Which is cool but the song has no structure and for a dude who is capable of producing insanely nice melodies on guitar, piano, drums, synths, and his voice... but it's lacking here. The last one sucked anyway so this one will too, obviously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back