2017 MUSIC

Remove this Banner Ad

You must have read that wrong mate I said that album aside meaning that is their best stuff. That's my favourite Foo Fighters album and the other 2 albums in the 90s aren't even close to it imo

(This is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt..)

Nothing Left To Lose is better and a stronger record than most of their post 2000s albums and so is Self Titled from 95'. Left To Lose, every song is good on that record and it's the follow up to Colour and the Shape, and yes, Wasting Light was pretty good, probably their best modern record.....

As was mentioned above, Dave just doesn't channel his punk roots or his Sonic Youth/Dinosaur Jr stylee anymore at all or his Beatlesque melodies. He has gone more for the adult contemporary rock formula, weirdly and writes really generic tunes that just aren't very memorable and i don't call that progression as a band, personally.

Saint Cecilia was pretty good though, but it was an EP hidden in the background to their main records...

Literally the last time i truly enjoyed the Foo Fighters was this show in 2000 which i went to and i remember after that they just changed a lot...

Last edited:
Not doing much for me. Has a couple of nice moments though.....but overall...????

What about the new/old Radiohead?

The head just looks like a 2000s-era Damon Albarn to me... I never rated the song live but it's come it very nice and the synths are emotional. Plus Thom's old voice coming back out is a rare treat. Can't wait for Lift and Man Of War... they will be big singles.

Also Arcade Fire are so lame these days. Reflektor was a painful listen aside from the title track. I don't think they want to let go fully of what they were and the dancey sound failed on the last album so why persist? The Suburbs and Neon Bible had some good songs, loved the idea behind The Suburbs (and the short film with it) but they had so much filler. They're just the last band around closest to headliner material and so they get it.

Not doing much for me. Has a couple of nice moments though.....but overall...????

What about the new/old Radiohead?

The video is supposed to be Thom's homesickness during The Bends tour, a mix of the guy in the beanie in the Paranoid Android video and the Bends front cover, but there could be even more meaning behind the concept.

This song grows and grows on you and it's so damn melancolly, it's essentially what Radiohead would sound like had they decided to release a more commercial pop album in 97' during the days of Blur, Oasis and The Verve had they wanted to make the rivalry record, which they didn't want to do at all..

reminds me a little of an Elvis Costello song..i'll wear it proudly..

awesome track and video which seems to be paralleling their older videos...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just listened to Kirin J Callinan's new album. He is gloriously weird. The album has zero cohesion but the randomness of it all plus the cool guest spots (Jimmy Barnes, Mac Demarco, Neil Finn, James Chance) make for a pretty interesting record. The opening track sounds like something Swedish House Mafia would have made back in the day. It comes out of nowhere! "Big Enough" is laugh-out-loud funny. I'll link it here just because you will have some sort of reaction to the... uh... drop... and the roll call at the end. Arena-like.

Have also been spinning alt-J's Relaxer plenty over the last week. 3WW is a beautiful song, Ellie Rowsell's vocals fit really nicely in the mix and I particularly love that second chorus. Deadcrush is a pretty amusing concept for a track and the heavy rain-like drum noises at the start are cool. Also I think "summer" must be alt-J's favourite word, that or "common"

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back