2017 MUSIC

Remove this Banner Ad

Good article and a good list. Nice and varied with a bit of pop thrown in for good measure. Can't fault it, really. Contains a lot of my favourite releases (rolling blackouts cf, Whitney, etc.)

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/music/2017s-best-songs-so-far-20170706-gx5tmt.html
I wonder if they know the Whitney song is a cover (I didn't read the actual article)? It's okay but it's a bit of a name drop one.

Also anyone who puts I Promise above Man Of War or Lift ffs... Radiohead butchered how those things were released

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anybody a fan of Toro y Moi's new album?
I like his attempts to really change his sound every album and the lyrics are new and definitely interesting and honest. Seems like he's broken up with his girlfriend. I listened to some of it on flights and it was good to sleep to and that's it... not very engaging.

He's also basically just obsessed with smoking pot now if you see his Instagram. I saw his DJ set at Boney the other month too and he was so smug afterwards.

been rinsing this new japanese breakfast album:

been a really nice year for indie, BSS and waxahatchee in the last week were also v good.

This is really nice. It has a familiar and natural sound without coming across asbcontrived or rehashed. I'll check out some more of her stuff.

been rinsing this new japanese breakfast album:

been a really nice year for indie, BSS and waxahatchee in the last week were also v good.

Excellent stuff. Will admit now that I was nervous she was releasing so soon from Psychopomp - which was amongst my favourites from last year - but this delivered in fairly new and magnetic ways. Crutchfield is incapable of releasing a bad record too.

I like his attempts to really change his sound every album and the lyrics are new and definitely interesting and honest. Seems like he's broken up with his girlfriend. I listened to some of it on flights and it was good to sleep to and that's it... not very engaging.

He's also basically just obsessed with smoking pot now if you see his Instagram. I saw his DJ set at Boney the other month too and he was so smug afterwards.

Divorced from his wife.

Haven't read every page in this thread but from what I have seen no one has mentioned Sleepmakeswaves yet. They are my favourite Australian instrumental group and their latest album is close to perfect in my opinion

Got a mention a fair few pages back iirc. Good band though.

Haven't read every page in this thread but from what I have seen no one has mentioned Sleepmakeswaves yet. They are my favourite Australian instrumental group and their latest album is close to perfect in my opinion

Agree a lot. Brilliant, brilliant album

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kirin J Callinan is a dickhead.

His music isn't very good. It's not as interesting as he thinks it is and generally how often do you really feel like listening to one of his songs?

His sense of humour, aka dressing like an idiot and dancing with outdated visuals, is really bad. Why is it when people who focus their entire image on comedy, aside from comedians, is it that they're not actually funny or even interesting people? Kirin J Callinan, Paddy Dangerfield...

To me Kirin J Callinan is just a pretentious version of Mac DeMarco... both are all image and then you realise even their image sucks.

Divorced from his wife.
Wow really, where'd you get this from? He doesn't seem to be doing much press this album but he's become a bit of a flog: his Instagram is basically just letting everyone know how high he is.

Is that what the song Omaha is about too? His divorce? I love that thing. Great video too.

Kinda sad though when you think about it... What For? was a really underrated album and songs about going for walks and being a team were a cool way of approaching the love song... I loved stuff like Run Baby Run.

Wow really, where'd you get this from? He doesn't seem to be doing much press this album but he's become a bit of a flog: his Instagram is basically just letting everyone know how high he is.

Is that what the song Omaha is about too? His divorce? I love that thing. Great video too.

Kinda sad though when you think about it... What For? was a really underrated album and songs about going for walks and being a team were a cool way of approaching the love song... I loved stuff like Run Baby Run.

Can't remember exactly where I read about it, but yeah. Something to do with his ex-wife not enjoying the traveling and touring life and the two of them wanting to go seperate ways. It's bugging me big time not remembering where I read it. I totally get what you mean about his Instagram and stuff. I used to think of him as one of the coolest musicians out but now it's pretty cringe-y seeing his posts. He does post something funny every now and then. What For? got shat on much more than it deserved, one of my favourites.

wow. details? what'd he say?

Mates and I saw his set on Sunday arvo, and we had some time between other sets that we wanted to see. Noticed that he was doing a signing so we though eh what the heck might as well go to that. We met him, one of my mates got a record signed and we got a photo. As we were about to head off he goes to one of us 'Ey do any of your guys have any of the you know what (pointing to his tongue and rolling his eyes back), some of the good stuff?'. None of us did which he then said 'Well I'm going to be around the grounds tonight so if you see me out there, ask me how my search went'. Nothing exciting really.

Listened to the first few tracks of Juanita (Howling Bells) Stein's debut solo album and really enjoyed them. She has a wonderful voice.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back