2017 MUSIC

Remove this Banner Ad

Just when you thought nothing could top their first album bang this album comes out, this band will break out worldwide sooner rather than later.

Nice choices. My favourite two songs from the album, though I do have to listen a few more times.

Excellent album on first listen though.

New Everything Everything album is out. Typically good.

Also nice song choice. My favourite song from that album too.

Fuuuuuck. Best band ever releases new album literally out of nowhere for the first time in 8 years. best band ever might be an exaggeration but the hype and excitement is preventing me from thinking straight.

I don't know about you, but it really defied my expectations. Seems to just get better with each listen too.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
N

I don't know about you, but it really defied my expectations. Seems to just get better with each listen too.
I had no idea what to expect, to be honest, in regards to quality, tone or style.

It's going to take a while to digest I think, but I've been impressed on my first few spins. If nothing else, and the rumours are true, it's a fitting swan song from one of the most seminal 'alt-rock,' if you like, bands of this century.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Just when you thought nothing could top their first album bang this album comes out, this band will break out worldwide sooner rather than later.

Almost as strong an opener as Vital Signs, and that's saying something. Don't Let Your Spirit Wane is possibly the best track. Just a complete album, combining standout rock songs, quieter moments, instrumentals and intense lyrics.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Fuuuuuck. Best band ever releases new album literally out of nowhere for the first time in 8 years. best band ever might be an exaggeration but the hype and excitement is preventing me from thinking straight.

Listening for the second time now. Massive difference between this and Daisy/TDAG but sounds cool. Some nice pop-grungey parts, like acoustic Smashing Pumpkins or Stone Temple Pilots.

Big surprise, and cool to see Manchester Orchestra release a good album as well - another band I think was pretty much finished.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Listening for the second time now. Massive difference between this and Daisy/TDAG but sounds cool. Some nice pop-grungey parts, like acoustic Smashing Pumpkins or Stone Temple Pilots.

Big surprise, and cool to see Manchester Orchestra release a good album as well - another band I think was pretty much finished.
It is. Since Deja Entendu they've matured as a band, both musically and thematically, a lot and this sounds like a natural culmination of that.

It's probably going to take me a few more listens for me to gain a real idea of how I feel about it. atm I'm still in that hype mode when listening where it's impossible to listen to it reflectively, if that makes sense.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Just quietly, Four Tet has released a couple of absolute gems lately. No idea if there's an album on the way or not, but it's exciting nonetheless.

The War on Drugs' new album A Deeper Understanding is out today.

I don't think it tops Lost in the Dream but it's still very special.

I'm not familiar with them so today is the first time I've listened to them. I'm really enjoying the album. The lead singer reminds me a bit of Bryan Adams.

I like the new QOTSA album too.

A good day for new music :)

Agreed. Lost in the Dream is one of my favourite albums ever. This is also fantastic, while not quite topping Lost in the Dream. Very strong contender for album of the year for sure. Still struggling to pick a favourite track on my fourth listen because the whole album is so damn solid!

I'm not familiar with them so today is the first time I've listened to them. I'm really enjoying the album. The lead singer reminds me a bit of Bryan Adams.

I like the new QOTSA album too.

A good day for new music :)

Be sure to check out Lost in the Dream if you like A Deeper Understanding. :) Slave Ambient is a bit different, but another fantastic album by them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thoughts on Taylor Swift?

I was the first to say it sounded like 2000s Britney.

Love Taylor and I don't mind the darker approach, as obvious as it was, and can't wait for the year of promotion and videos and tours but there'll be a lot of wincing to avoid the terrible font she decided to use.

Oct 5, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agreed. Lost in the Dream is one of my favourite albums ever. This is also fantastic, while not quite topping Lost in the Dream. Very strong contender for album of the year for sure. Still struggling to pick a favourite track on my fourth listen because the whole album is so damn solid!

Right now really digging 'In Chains' but 'Pain' and 'Strangest Thing' are also epic, I just think I've had more time to absorb them because they were released earlier.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX

Love Taylor and I don't mind the darker approach, as obvious as it was, and can't wait for the year of promotion and videos and tours but there'll be a lot of wincing to avoid the terrible font she decided to use.
The first? Wow, congrats!

It's not good. Just trying waaay too hard to be edgy and cool, and failing miserably.

Jan 27, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

I mean I didn't actually hate it.

The old taylor being dead line was cringy af tho.

Honestly curious for a taylor swift album for the first time ever.

The new song is awful

Probably not worth much coming from someone who has only knowingly heard and seen The War on Drugs once (yesterday, on Jimmy Kimmel): Maybe the lead singer looks like a Bryan Adams over-indulged on the old Canadian bacon, but I have him sounding like a Bob Dylan-Michael Stipe hybrid. Nothing wrong with the song they performed, other than it perhaps arriving 30 years late.

Taylor Swift's new s**t is b-a-n-a-n-a-s, it blows my mind. I'd be surprised if what the world really needs now is another Kanye/Katy/whoever-done-me-wrong revenge anthem, however I spend more time listening to her rather than reading about her so I'm not unable to appreciate (or even imagine) it as something else. Taken solely as a statement on celebrity twitter feuds, she had more insightful things to say about being fifteen, which is a more interesting subject to begin with.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Loved it on first listen. Think he/(they?) may have stepped up again. Really like those Neil Young-like one note ascending solos and the basslines are great.

He's a natural songwriter

Broar

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

To quote Bowie "It's not a very good song, is it?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back