Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't get the hate.

Then again people say Shake It Off and I Thought You Were Trouble were bad lead singles... they weren't.

Loved it on first listen. Think he/(they?) may have stepped up again. Really like those Neil Young-like one note ascending solos and the basslines are great.

He's a natural songwriter

Adam does pretty much all the songwriting, as far as I'm aware. Basically like Kevin Parker and Tame Impala.

I've listened to a fair few albums that I'd be interested to hear some discussion about, so I'll just quickly go through them all in one post:

• A Deeper Understanding is one of my favourite albums of the year, without living up to The War On Drugs' last record (pretty sure I mentioned that already).
  • Thee Oh Sees' (or Oh Sees now, I guess) new album kicks ass again. An improvement on A Weird Exits imo.
  • Turnover's new album is really nice without living up to their last record. It is a bit samey though, as can often be the case with the sound they went for. I saw them live with Touche Amore a couple of months ago, which was a cracking show.
  • Queens of the Stone Age's new album was decent. Fortress is a ripper of a tune though -- one of their best.
  • Saturation II is great, though not quite as great as Saturation I.
  • Milo's new record is great. Not as great as his last (I'm noticing a bit of a trend this year :drunk:). Still probably top 3 hip hop album of the year so far (along with Flower Boy and Saturation).
  • Lil B's new mixtape is... surprisingly good. I thought Pitchfork were just being Pitchfork when they gave it an 8.5 (pretty overrated still), but it's actually pretty darn good, albeit a bit long.

Also, another indie qt. Pretty sure Babaganouj have been discussed around here before (probably by me). Their front-woman now has a solo project:

Not sure how cute she is, but Kacey Johansing's new album is a lovely listen:

This dude is annoyingly ******* catchy:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah good old Babaganouj, the band with some of the worst Aussie guitar songs you'll hear but an ability to churn out something genuinely special every year to keep you interested. FWIW Ruby is the cuter of the two in that band but Harriet is more 'my type.'

It's a great song as well, everything adds to the track and there isn't much filler. It's a nice mix of a heap of obvious influences but it's airy and nails that mid-afternoon malaise or night time wander feel. She said she was really inspired by Wolf Alice which is not so trendy for someone so trendy but yeah, it comes through, has that airiness and respect for weight like their songs Bros and Freazy do. Knowing when to have the heaviness come in and how much is a pretty good knack.

Yeah good old Babaganouj, the band with some of the worst Aussie guitar songs you'll hear but an ability to churn out something genuinely special every year to keep you interested. FWIW Ruby is the cuter of the two in that band but Harriet is more 'my type.'

It's a great song as well, everything adds to the track and there isn't much filler. It's a nice mix of a heap of obvious influences but it's airy and nails that mid-afternoon malaise or night time wander feel. She said she was really inspired by Wolf Alice which is not so trendy for someone so trendy but yeah, it comes through, has that airiness and respect for weight like their songs Bros and Freazy do. Knowing when to have the heaviness come in and how much is a pretty good knack.

Agree on both counts with the first paragraph. I'd like to see Babaganouj focus and release a full project. Their usual thing of releasing EPs with one or two good songs on them is getting pretty boring now.

That being said, I'd be more interested in hearing an extended Hatchie project. I saw her live a few weeks ago, and there's definitely strong potential there from what I heard, which is all the more impressive because they had no keyboard due technological issues at the venue.

There are a few cool acts popping up around Queensland right now:

Hoping to check out a few nights of BIGSOUND Festival. It's a pretty solid line-up.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
How was she live? I get the feeling she's going to concentrate on her solo stuff and Babaganouj will probably fizzle out. Her and Joe Agius try really really hard with their music. I remember when he was a kid on Tumblr just learning guitar. He's done really well and has made a few catchy singles and I'm sure he does okay from music. I like his music videos too. But yeah, I think a lot of the other people in those bands like Babaganouj and Go Violets did it more as a hobby.

How was she live? I get the feeling she's going to concentrate on her solo stuff and Babaganouj will probably fizzle out. Her and Joe Agius try really really hard with their music. I remember when he was a kid on Tumblr just learning guitar. He's done really well and has made a few catchy singles and I'm sure he does okay from music. I like his music videos too. But yeah, I think a lot of the other people in those bands like Babaganouj and Go Violets did it more as a hobby.

She was really good. I'd admittedly had a few drinks, but I really enjoyed her set. Was the clear stand-out that night, although the issues they had prior to the set meant it only ended up going for 20 minutes. It was a shame because GL headlined and they were pretty boring, to be honest.

I'd be really curious to hear them play without any technological issues. I think she has a few sets throughout BIGSOUND, so I'll probably have a better idea after that.

Jan 27, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I've listened to a fair few albums that I'd be interested to hear some discussion about, so I'll just quickly go through them all in one post:

• A Deeper Understanding is one of my favourite albums of the year, without living up to The War On Drugs' last record (pretty sure I mentioned that already).
  • Thee Oh Sees' (or Oh Sees now, I guess) new album kicks ass again. An improvement on A Weird Exits imo.
  • Turnover's new album is really nice without living up to their last record. It is a bit samey though, as can often be the case with the sound they went for. I saw them live with Touche Amore a couple of months ago, which was a cracking show.
  • Queens of the Stone Age's new album was decent. Fortress is a ripper of a tune though -- one of their best.
  • Saturation II is great, though not quite as great as Saturation I.
  • Milo's new record is great. Not as great as his last (I'm noticing a bit of a trend this year :drunk:). Still probably top 3 hip hop album of the year so far (along with Flower Boy and Saturation).
  • Lil B's new mixtape is... surprisingly good. I thought Pitchfork were just being Pitchfork when they gave it an 8.5 (pretty overrated still), but it's actually pretty darn good, albeit a bit long.
I thought Saturation II was an improvement in every single way personally.

Queer, Junky and Sweet are my 3 favourites, they're just phenomenal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Go Farther in Litghtness has to be my favourite record since maybe The Suburbs. It's brilliant, flawed, painful, clever, majestic and beautiful... and it's ******* Australian!
If people critique honestly, they should have only a handful of five star albums. It's early days, but Go Farther in Lightness is a five star album, just brilliant.

Lums23

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United
No chip on Go Farther in Lightness, but I still think the Positions is better. I have enjoyed GFIL more with every listen though so it may change in the future

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Listened to Go Farther In Lightness for the first time last night. I was a bit concerned by it's long run-time but nearly every song is a belter. My AOTY so far. In fact it's so good I went and bought tickets for their show at Festy Hall on Wednesday

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Listened to Go Farther In Lightness for the first time last night. I was a bit concerned by it's long run-time but nearly every song is a belter. My AOTY so far. In fact it's so good I went and bought tickets for their show at Festy Hall on Wednesday
My mate got me a ticket for the show, still haven't listened to the entirety of the album but should be a good show nonetheless.

The first Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile track is a bit of fun, I quite like it.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle

It's pretty boring, not a very good duo because they're just so similar. There's no melody in either of their music and so when you have a duet that's just the same drawly, almost purposefully long-winded and un-interesting delivery it is such a pain. I like guitar music like this a bit when it's by Pavement but here it's drab and dull. You have a side project and it's just the same ol' s**t? The thing I resent about these sort of acts is the lack of any sort of transition or change. They'll bring in a different drum or something and people will pretend it's a new tilt on the sound but it isn't. Aren't we passed this s**t?

Speaking of collabs, this new Mount Kimbie. Man. Their worst and best is too far apart in my opinion, and they've never crafted a solid album because of that and the fact their guests don't gel that well. This new one is moody and like an electronic, stuttery King Krule vibe – they should just do a full on collab. Would be so good.

browncow

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2011
Grazing
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Aston Villa, Indiana Pacers
If people critique honestly, they should have only a handful of five star albums. It's early days, but Go Farther in Lightness is a five star album, just brilliant.

Gang of Youths are a band I feel I should really like, but for some reason, cannot connect with their music.
I have listened to Go Farther in Lightness 4 times now, and while I really like Do Not Let Your Spirit Wane, I have finished all listens without feeling any emotion for the music (bar Spirit Wane).

I missed the whole hype around them when they first broke onto the scene as I stopped listening to JJJ on a regular basis about 4 years ago.

This is a genuine post and not having a crack at the band or the album, but would be interested in what you love about this album?

Also not trying to pigeon hole their music, but I am a huge fan of The National and I can hear the obvious comparisons in his voice and a lot of the melodies, but I don't get that same emotive response to the music as I did with The National when I was first getting into them.

Maybe its now having two children under 4 that has led to me having less time to really listen and connect with a lot of music these days like I used to when I consumed just about everything that I could find, but I am finding it harder and harder to find bands that I am really into these days.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Out of silence, John Maus is returning with a new LP in October!

We Must Become... has (surprisingly) endured as a favourite from 2011, would make my top 20 albums of the decade thus far.

Anyone have any recommendations on bands to check out at BIGSOUND Festival? I'm open to pretty much anything. I want to see Hatchie again, and then probably Good Morning, Obscura Hail and Clowns, but otherwise I have not planned out my week at all.

Here's the line-up:
https://www.bigsound.org.au/artists

Should be a cracking week. That over four nights, then Jeff Rosenstock on Saturday night. Compensates for missing out on Gang of Youths.

It's pretty boring, not a very good duo because they're just so similar. There's no melody in either of their music and so when you have a duet that's just the same drawly, almost purposefully long-winded and un-interesting delivery it is such a pain. I like guitar music like this a bit when it's by Pavement but here it's drab and dull. You have a side project and it's just the same ol' s**t? The thing I resent about these sort of acts is the lack of any sort of transition or change. They'll bring in a different drum or something and people will pretend it's a new tilt on the sound but it isn't. Aren't we passed this s**t?

Speaking of collabs, this new Mount Kimbie. Man. Their worst and best is too far apart in my opinion, and they've never crafted a solid album because of that and the fact their guests don't gel that well. This new one is moody and like an electronic, stuttery King Krule vibe – they should just do a full on collab. Would be so good.

Not a word of lie, I was listening to Grounded by Pavement right before I checked this out. Very underwhelming and I really like Kurt Vile and don't mind Courtney Barnett.

Lucky bastard! Tickets have been sold out to both their Brisbane shows for over a month. Couple of mates have been bugging me to go, but there's nobody selling, and even if there was, hundreds of people are chasing tickets. They are crazy popular up here.

Sep 21, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
Anyone have any recommendations on bands to check out at BIGSOUND Festival? I'm open to pretty much anything. I want to see Hatchie again, and then probably Good Morning, Obscura Hail and Clowns, but otherwise I have not planned out my week at all.

Here's the line-up:
https://www.bigsound.org.au/artists
I'm only aware of Thandi Phoenix on that list.

I'm only aware of Thandi Phoenix on that list.

I'm giving her a listen now. She has a pretty cool sound and her Thursday set doesn't appear to clash with anything, so hopefully I'll be able to check her out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back