2017 MUSIC

Remove this Banner Ad

BoshtrichBurger, thoughts on this?

Just going through the BIGSOUND playlist and stumbled upon it. Big fan straight away.

Last edited:

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
I didn't really know what to expect from LCD Soundsystem, but American Dream has certainly blown my expectations out the window. Listened to it last night and I loved it. First new release this year to properly blow me away on first listen. The singles had me unsure on how the album would sound, but in the context of the whole album, the singles are made even better. My favourite song of the album, how do you sleep, is like a big 9 minute emotional epic, with mega synths similar to Dance Yrself Clean. how do you sleep blends perfectly into tonite which is a needed get up after how heavy how do you sleep is. oh baby is a 80s synth dream and a stunner of an album opener, and the slow burning finish of black screen and the end of the album is properly beautiful.

The whole break up ordeal understandably turned people away, but the album is enough of a ripper to undo it in my mind.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I didn't really know what to expect from LCD Soundsystem, but American Dream has certainly blown my expectations out the window. Listened to it last night and I loved it. First new release this year to properly blow me away on first listen. The singles had me unsure on how the album would sound, but in the context of the whole album, the singles are made even better. My favourite song of the album, how do you sleep, is like a big 9 minute emotional epic, with mega synths similar to Dance Yrself Clean. how do you sleep blends perfectly into tonite which is a needed get up after how heavy how do you sleep is. oh baby is a 80s synth dream and a stunner of an album opener, and the slow burning finish of black screen and the end of the album is properly beautiful.

The whole break up ordeal understandably turned people away, but the album is enough of a ripper to undo it in my mind.
Honestly it annoys the * out of me. James Murphy is just such a smarmy prick. People thought he was so interesting and cool but he always dressed like a slob and just looked grumpy all the time and was one of those guys in interviews who'd answer pompously and if the interviewer extrapolated something from his winding answer and made their own comment, he'd just go 'mm.' Bit of a campaigner.

New album is okay but the new stuff they've brought to the mix (guitars in I Used To) just seem a bit lame. Whole thing just sounds like one of the lesser or slower songs on This Is Happening mixed with a drum beat you've heard before and a tempo from a better Sound Of Silver song that actually had some dynamics and change in the song. This new thing just sounds like something old with random strums and sound effects thrown in.

Like in retrospect maybe their career arc was not perfect because it was almost faultless, but because it resolved itself. They went from loose and clunky and ideas-at-the-wall and sounded like a brick-walled New York dive that denigrated in a good way, to a bit more polished and less afraid of singing about melancholy themes with sincerity and not smirks, and balladry and sensitive pianos instead of beats. Then the last one was a little more sprawling but it had maybe their best songwriting proper and a nicer spread of tempos, themes, and structures and was far more restrained – sort of like they did 15 versions of each song with different amounts of noodling and sounds and just chose the best 2-3 of those little bits, ditched the rest, and made it sound like purposeful synth hits and annoying sounds.

This is just like the same song over and over. Where's the dumb single to mix it up? Where's the build? Where's the emotional connection?

I have always hated the reunion though so I was never going to like it but hey.

New Alvvays was sent out to pre-order purchasers today and comes out next week, so keen to track down the stream for that and listen. Loved them when I saw em at Lollapalooza this year – new songs had some great guitarwork and the songwriting was really impressive. They made it less direct but everything had a point, and they aren't afraid of a keychange or a simple refrain. Really liked it and am a sucker for how sweet and romantic Dreams Tonite is (why isn't there a video of this where it's just Molly riding a bike around the pretty suburban streets of North America shot in a sort of hazy lens?) and In Undertow is just really really good writing. Love her turn of phrase as well and how simple the structures are, never saying too much, but always having a cool thing to say.

Also not sure if anyone used to love Idlewild but new Roddy Woomble is out today. Sussed that single Jupiter I think it's called – sounds like the only Idlewild lead single they should have released since about 2009. Pretty good, looking forward to the album.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Gang of Youths are a band I feel I should really like, but for some reason, cannot connect with their music.
I have listened to Go Farther in Lightness 4 times now, and while I really like Do Not Let Your Spirit Wane, I have finished all listens without feeling any emotion for the music (bar Spirit Wane).

I missed the whole hype around them when they first broke onto the scene as I stopped listening to JJJ on a regular basis about 4 years ago.

This is a genuine post and not having a crack at the band or the album, but would be interested in what you love about this album?

Also not trying to pigeon hole their music, but I am a huge fan of The National and I can hear the obvious comparisons in his voice and a lot of the melodies, but I don't get that same emotive response to the music as I did with The National when I was first getting into them.

Maybe its now having two children under 4 that has led to me having less time to really listen and connect with a lot of music these days like I used to when I consumed just about everything that I could find, but I am finding it harder and harder to find bands that I am really into these days.
Of all the possible critiques of Go Farther, I would have thought a lack of emotional connection would have been the last possible one (not having a crack, everyone listens to music their own way). The lyrics are raw, heart-on-your-sleeve stuff that manage to avoid being cheesy and just come across as heartfelt from someone struggling to make sense of everything. It takes you on a journey from fear and doubt to belief in life and all that it has to offer. And the tunes range from ballsy rock to ballads, without ever becoming banal, a fair effort on an album that's 80 minutes long.

I'm 40, have two kids under 5, but this is a band that I have made time for. So much so I am going to brave Metros Fremantle this month to see them.

Of all the possible critiques of Go Farther, I would have thought a lack of emotional connection would have been the last possible one (not having a crack, everyone listens to music their own way). The lyrics are raw, heart-on-your-sleeve stuff that manage to avoid being cheesy and just come across as heartfelt from someone struggling to make sense of everything. It takes you on a journey from fear and doubt to belief in life and all that it has to offer. And the tunes range from ballsy rock to ballads, without ever becoming banal, a fair effort on an album that's 80 minutes long.

I'm 40, have two kids under 5, but this is a band that I have made time for. So much so I am going to brave Metros Fremantle this month to see them.

A friend sent me videos of the gig in Brisbane last night. Looked fantastic.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
A friend sent me videos of the gig in Brisbane last night. Looked fantastic.
I've heard nothing but good things about their gigs. Really looking forward to it, but won't lie, at 40 and with two kids, I'm not up for jumping around a crowded nightclub like I used to (the wife even less so). I enjoyed Laneway this year, but it wasn't too crowded, we could go and relax when we wanted to. This will be different.

That said, taking the different approach of late lunch in Freo, few beers in the pub beforehand, enjoy the gig, go home after.

I've heard nothing but good things about their gigs. Really looking forward to it, but won't lie, at 40 and with two kids, I'm not up for jumping around a crowded nightclub like I used to (the wife even less so). I enjoyed Laneway this year, but it wasn't too crowded, we could go and relax when we wanted to. This will be different.

That said, taking the different approach of late lunch in Freo, few beers in the pub beforehand, enjoy the gig, go home after.

Didn't look like there were too many dickheads at the Brisbane gig from what I saw. WA does have a bit of a bad rep for it (from what I've heard) though.

• Milo's new record is great. Not as great as his last (I'm noticing a bit of a trend this year :drunk:). Still probably top 3 hip hop album of the year so far (along with Flower Boy and Saturation).

I'm glad to see Milo getting a bit of love, but those are pretty much my thoughts with it; good listen but a step down from so the flies don't come. His recent Scallops Hotel release was also an enjoyable listen.

At this stage, it's making my top 10 for this year but I haven't been too enthralled with releases this year. Maybe it's a case of a comedown from last year being a very strong year for me.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see Milo getting a bit of love, but those are pretty much my thoughts with it; good listen but a step down from last year. His recent Scallops Hotel release was also an enjoyable listen.

At this stage, it's making my top 10 for this year but I haven't been too enthralled with releases this year. Maybe it's a case of a comedown from last year being a very strong year for me.

Yeah, So The Flies Don't Come is probably one of my favourite hip hop albums of this decade, so it was always going to be hard for this new album to live up to that. The production on the new album is insanely good though. I do cringe a bit at some of his lyrics (i.e. "and the Pokemon go, and the Pokemon go...") and sometimes it seems he's trying too hard to reference novels or other music/musicians, but his delivery is bloody good.

I read that he had written a ridiculous amount of tracks since the last album and put the ones that he was getting the best responses from audiences on the new LP, which would make sense because a lot of the writing seems like spur-of-the-moment thoughts.

It's probably around my top ten for the year as well. There's been a lot of really solid albums this year imo, but not many have really blown me away.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Seeing as they dont have their own thread, I will add this here about Gang of Youths new record.

L'imaginaire.. Has anyone noticed the strings are Sweet Child of Mine from GnR? And the following song, Do Not Let Your Spirit Wane... does it remind anyone of Pink Flloyd?

Lastly, what's your favorite of the record... for me it's Le Symbolique/ Let Me Down Easy but there's so much to choose from. What a great record!

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seeing as they dont have their own thread, I will add this here about Gang of Youths new record.

L'imaginaire.. Has anyone noticed the strings are Sweet Child of Mine from GnR? And the following song, Do Not Let Your Spirit Wane... does it remind anyone of Pink Flloyd?

Lastly, what's your favorite of the record... for me it's Le Symbolique/ Let Me Down Easy but there's so much to choose from. What a great record!
I've had a brief flick and the whole thing sounds like something else.

It's about as interesting and engaging as the National (not very), all the vocal melodies are mumbling, the song structures are really corny with lots of builds, everything is like a U2 song. Right place right time and they've probably cultivated a good following from playing a lot but it's a pretty drab, pretty dull affair. But it's Australian and feels anthemic so no shock it's done well with the Triple J crowd.

I personally think it's just bombastic shite that is overlong and is pretty devoid of natural knack and talent. Anyone can write miserly lyrics about missing chicks or something; it takes talent and skill to wriggle them together in a good, interesting, funny way and this dude just can't. It's just a big dreary album with strings and pianos and an attempt to be stadium rock (probably will be in a year). Do not get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lucky bastard! Tickets have been sold out to both their Brisbane shows for over a month. Couple of mates have been bugging me to go, but there's nobody selling, and even if there was, hundreds of people are chasing tickets. They are crazy popular up here.

Not so much :(

I actually got 'em off Gumtree and was never given the tickets, ripped off to the tune of $130

Oh well

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood

I was thinking this! The instrumentals all sound like songs I already know!

Favourites would be Let Me Down Easy, Do Not Let Your Spirit Wane, Fear and Trembling

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I've had a brief flick and the whole thing sounds like something else.

It's about as interesting and engaging as the National (not very), all the vocal melodies are mumbling, the song structures are really corny with lots of builds, everything is like a U2 song. Right place right time and they've probably cultivated a good following from playing a lot but it's a pretty drab, pretty dull affair. But it's Australian and feels anthemic so no shock it's done well with the Triple J crowd.

I personally think it's just bombastic shite that is overlong and is pretty devoid of natural knack and talent. Anyone can write miserly lyrics about missing chicks or something; it takes talent and skill to wriggle them together in a good, interesting, funny way and this dude just can't. It's just a big dreary album with strings and pianos and an attempt to be stadium rock (probably will be in a year). Do not get.
LOL, it must be hard work being this 'anti-cool'.

Don't Let Your Spirit Wane, Fear and Trembling and Let Me Down Easy are probably the standouts.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
LOL, it must be hard work being this 'anti-cool'.

Don't Let Your Spirit Wane, Fear and Trembling and Let Me Down Easy are probably the standouts.
I like how this forum, in fact any forum on the internet these days, a negative comment means you're trolling or not a fan or trying to be something.

Say a bad player is s**t = go support another team!

Say an album isn't that good and you don't get the hype = you're just trying to look cool

FFS I was saying a Roddy Woomble album was something to look forward to. I'll end up going on about how good the Rostam album is and everyone finds his solo stuff uninspired and can't stand his voice. Like, I say some stuff that's met with muted reaction on here. I think Gang Of Youths are nothing special but have made a very self-serious, 'this is the anthem album' record and it's clearly paid off. Good on them I guess for being able to have people want their tickets. But I think their songs aren't anything unique, they're toying with an old formula that's hackneyed, the dude's lyrics really aren't engaging to me and fundamentally it isn't speaking to me – which is a decent, okay critique. I'm not saying they're fags, like I'm telling you why I don't rate the album or them as a band. It just seems pretty corny and cliche.

I have to say, BIGSOUND really is one of Australia's best festivals. Sure, it would be cool if some of the sets were longer than 30 minutes, but having 10 sets on at the same time leaves you spoiled for choice. It's also rad being able to walk around Fortitude Valley and run into random musicians. Pretty cool week.

Not so much :(

I actually got 'em off Gumtree and was never given the tickets, ripped off to the tune of $130

Oh well

Bugger! Sorry to hear that.

I think buying off Facebook event pages is probably the safer way to go these days. I've never had a problem with it. I guess people are a bit more hesitant to rip off others when it's there for everyone to see.

Wouldn't surprise me if they are on the Laneway line-up again. Otherwise I'm hoping for another tour soon!

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Not sure when it's announced and didn't want to start a thread, but here are some acts expected to be on the Laneway 2017 line up in addition to Mac DeMarco & Andy Park -

Slowdive, The Internet, Alex G, Forest Swords, Bonobo

Not sure when it's announced and didn't want to start a thread, but here are some acts expected to be on the Laneway 2017 line up in addition to Mac DeMarco & Andy Park -

Alex G would be cool. The Internet are also apparently good live. Not too sure about Slowdive, their new album is pretty boring, but I guess they'd be a neat one to say you saw live.

I've never really gotten into Forest Swords or Bonobo, but they are still pretty good name if true.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle

Slowdive would be a pretty good get but most likely would be shunned to some 3pm slot in the beating heat. Great setting to see some old codgers playing swirly shoegaze in...

The Internet were here last time weren't they, and they haven't released anything since, correct? Seems a weird get but nowadays that festival just goes onto whatever Splendour/Falls don't get. Good example being Mac DeMarco playing for the second time in three years.

Anyway, good month of music. Really good actually, there has been and will be:

- The debut Bicep album. Very anticipated
- Second album from Alvvays, something I've held off listening to but can't wait for – loved the live takes and have loved In Undertow and Dreams Tonite
- Rostam next week, everyone hates his voice but I reckon it has charisma
- Mount Kimbie
- Reportedly King Krule late on

Anyone sussed these or keen on them? I'm going to wait until they're all out and get right into a few of em. Really looking forward to it.

Slowdive would be a pretty good get but most likely would be shunned to some 3pm slot in the beating heat. Great setting to see some old codgers playing swirly shoegaze in...

The Internet were here last time weren't they, and they haven't released anything since, correct? Seems a weird get but nowadays that festival just goes onto whatever Splendour/Falls don't get. Good example being Mac DeMarco playing for the second time in three years.

Anyway, good month of music. Really good actually, there has been and will be:

- The debut Bicep album. Very anticipated
- Second album from Alvvays, something I've held off listening to but can't wait for – loved the live takes and have loved In Undertow and Dreams Tonite
- Rostam next week, everyone hates his voice but I reckon it has charisma
- Mount Kimbie
- Reportedly King Krule late on

Anyone sussed these or keen on them? I'm going to wait until they're all out and get right into a few of em. Really looking forward to it.

I've heard the Alvvays leak. It's really good. I'm not sure if it's as good as their first, but one of the better albums of the year so far.

Seeing Hatchie tonight. Hopefully no keyboard malfunctions this time and she'll bring news of a record. She is going on tour with The Creases soon though.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've heard the Alvvays leak. It's really good. I'm not sure if it's as good as their first, but one of the better albums of the year so far.

Seeing Hatchie tonight. Hopefully no keyboard malfunctions this time and she'll bring news of a record. She is going on tour with The Creases soon though.
Talking about Hatchie on here is a bit like the Peep Show episode where they talk about Dobbie Club...

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX

Already better than Falls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back