Remove this Banner Ad

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
  • Turnover's new album is really nice without living up to their last record. It is a bit samey though, as can often be the case with the sound they went for. I saw them live with Touche Amore a couple of months ago, which was a cracking show
With you on this one. It's decent without having anything as gripping - emotionally, musically or lyrically - as the last album. It's inoffensive, if that makes sense; just pleasant but without the depth of the last one.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
I still don't really understand what 'yeah the boys' means and where the hell it came from, which to my ears makes it sound even more stupid than it probably already is...

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Love this. Could be a leftover song from The Bends.
It sort of was? Well about 12 months after.

Beautiful video too, love the appearance of his girlfriend and daughter but it's sad... the old 1996 Pinkpop version of this song is Thom at his youngest and ugliest and this one is him looking so old. Dunno. Just such an obvious contrast. Ageing hits me sometimes.

These songs are all mixed so weirdly though; almost no difference in a leaked version and the proper on on the OK Computer reissue. I know Nigel did it so why do the album tracks sound interesting and with some dynamics but these are all so thin and crappy sounding? They're not even bonafide demos, heaps of stuff was added to the tracks, so it's not like they were trying to keep it exactly as it was at the time.

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Sigh..

This is basically exactly the same as Pinkpop only it's a fraction less fast and breathes more with the guitar notes and organ parts are louder here.

It's not liked they gloamed it or anything like that, lol.

The mixes are live for the most part. Pretty well mixed.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
'gloamed' is a good meme.

But no it's a fair bit slower, the synth is new, Ed's big soaring pop backing vocals are by Thom and a lot more subdued. It doesn't have the sort of rush that one did but it's a bit more of a mid-tempo song all the way through, rather than having some noticeably faster and slower bits. I don't think they ruined it like they did Present Tense but they definitely didn't elevate it ala Weird Fishes.

screech

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2002
Christies Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Sheffield Wednesday
This one is a beauty, grows with each listen. The master Kink has gone all Edward Sharpe on us.

Sir Ray Davies - A Place in Your Heart (feat. The Jayhawks & Karen Grotberg)

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rostam tonight.

New Four Tet next month. New King Krule let me down, everyone kept saying how good Dum Surfer was live... don't get it, but it has some nice dynamics and the grungey sort of guitar is cool and not actually cringeworthy.

Will end up being a year where you can collate a list and not umm and ahh and put in something average and come out with 20.

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Got around to listening to the Alvvays abulm for the first time (and listening to them for the first time in general). Really enjoyed it, Dreams Tonite has been trapped in my head all day.

Does anyone like Superorganism? Something For You M.I.N.D has a really catchy hook, but I just can't get with it entirely, and I like the little melody of Its All Good but there's just something about it that turns me off a little.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Got around to listening to the Alvvays abulm for the first time (and listening to them for the first time in general). Really enjoyed it, Dreams Tonite has been trapped in my head all day.

Does anyone like Superorganism? Something For You M.I.N.D has a really catchy hook, but I just can't get with it entirely, and I like the little melody of Its All Good but there's just something about it that turns me off a little.
It's a real grower that Alvvays album, keep listening.

Dreams Tonite is beautiful. Ever fallen in love with a girl you originally just saw in a tute? Yeah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, at least Cody Munro Moore's debut album was something good to come out of Sydney today:

Also stumbled on this neat little project by a Melbourne musician last month. Not sure if I've posted it.

I like Something For Your M.I.N.D. Nobody Cares is alright. Not really a fan of It's All Good. I agree with you though, there's something that turns me off. I think Something For Your M.I.N.D. is so good because it's not just insane, it's actually interesting and has a genuinely good hook and melody. It's All Good and Nobody Cares are both really out there, but just aren't really interesting. They can't rely on being bombastic to be good. I think they're really capable of being one of the most interesting acts out there, but it's also equally likely they'll drop an average longer project and fade into obscurity.

Dreams Tonite is also stuck in my head. In Undertow has been my favourite since they released it, but it's been hard to get Dreams Tonite out of my head ever since they dropped the album.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
What is Dreams Tonite about?

Is it about being in a relationship and:

Missing the initial spark of when you first saw them?

Wondering that, if you saw them now, would you feel the same feelings? If that person was a stranger in the streets, would you find them as good as you do now? This could be questioning whether they're right for you or reaffirming romance.

Is it a song about being with someone and enjoying the spark of making eyes with someone on the train?

I dunno, all nice sentiments.

Watching motorbikes... on the turnpikes... one of Eisenhower's...

Wolf Alice are a band I like but they're tiny in Australia and wouldn't be any fun. In the UK they could sell out a 1,000 night venue in a secondary city – here I seriously doubt the Corner would be full.
Well they haven't exactly toured here since before their debut album but as if they wouldn't be any fun.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well they haven't exactly toured here since before their debut album but as if they wouldn't be any fun.
Have you seen them live?

Feels like they'd be good with people pushing you in a venue in Manchester or something, not everyone placid at the Corner.

Have you seen them live?

Feels like they'd be good with people pushing you in a venue in Manchester or something, not everyone placid at the Corner.
Sadly no, have to try and get a ticket this time although tough being busiest time of year for work.

Check this album out SSwans2011

And this one:

Been listening to these two albums a lot over the past week

Cheers for the suggestions! Been meaning to check out the new Son Little, but didn't even know Open Mike Eagle had a new album out. I'll give them a listen tonight.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The Killers' first single was pretty dire but there's a couple of decent tracks on the new album that show a bit of variety and growth. Probably won't go back to it after more than a few listens but decent enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back