2017 MUSIC

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Did someone say it's 2013 again?

New Drums sucks. Jonny's ego is wild even though he seems to be a nice fella. This band dropped a member an album which was a cool narrative considering one moved to the country to become a carpenter and the other toured with The Pains of Being Pure at Heart before dropping out of music entirely. It was originally just Jacob and Jonny and the last record (which was underrated – their worst album for sure but the darker, sad synths were a nice change and I Can't Pretend was great) and them going out like that would've been cool. But this song just sucks.

I didn't dig this much at the start but now I get it. Beach Fossils are probably going to end up one of those bands who sound the same in every guise but the nerds'll tell you each album is different. The strings here are really sweet, pretty sure the lead singer got married and has a record label with her now so it's a nice commentary when you remember that. Very nice lyrics. The production on this is exactly how you graduate from bedroom recordings – not plastic and stiff and fake sounding, just cleaner. Still with space.

And what's the go with this? Jack-offonoff is annoying. His stuff on 1989 was the weaker, more obvious sounding pop stuff and here again it's reared its stacked-vocal-hook head again. This guy is a one trick pony. Also how clunky and bad are those lyrics? That great white shark one... wow... sounds like a place holder you'd have on your iPhone to change later while still remembering the scene it set. I like the droney end to it. Might work better if it's the first track (but I don't think it is?).

BluesMan

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea, B.Celtics
(if not already posted) Thoughts on this guy? Didnt think I'd get into it, but really liked the album, fantastic in fact, and this song below is as smooth as it gets.

Last edited:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
(if not already posted) Thoughts on this guy? Didnt think I'd get into it, but really liked the album, fantastic in fact, and this song below is as smooth as it gets.

I used to be right into him, for some reason I just didn't get into his record as soon as it came out and I still haven't spun it. He did a guitar song with some band and it was really corny, but yeah I liked the guy a lot. I'm considering seeing him at the Rosemount. I reckon it's cool how he's right into cooking as well; usually bands trade off a boring narrative or being good looking but it seems he's as passionate about food and cooking as he is music.

If you like him check out Rejjie Snow – I much prefer his stuff. His little one-off side project with King Krule and a few others from around is awesome; sounds like it was made by some stoned flatmates in London living off Kronenburg cans.

Sun Kil Moon's new album was really good. Not sure how I feel about the length and he's still an insufferable docuhebag, but he really is a good storyteller.

Really looking forward to Arca's new album. His vocals are top notch.

Not quite sure what this is, but I like it:

This is disgustingly cheesy, and I don't like the Oli Sykes part, but otherwise I'm a fan:

While She Sleeps have always been pretty cheesy for me, but I did like their 2012 album.

Last edited:
Sun Kil Moon is a pretentious, depressing shoite.

EFA. Has some decent music, though.

His album with Jesu last year was s**t, I'll give you that.

katana

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
was never huge on clap your hands say yeah, but a friend of mine was wearing one of their band shirts semi-regularly last winter and i went back to that debut album and listened to it a bunch of times. their new lp - titled the tourist makes no coys about its aesthetic touchstones, that is, late 90s radiohead. the nasaly vocals, the guitar tones, the song titles (fireproof, the pilot, ambulance chaser, visiting hours). weird that the p4k review (who have a penchant for rambling about an album in a review for another album) doesn't even mention this. you're slipping schreiber.

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm actually really enjoying the new Alt J song. I had a small faze where I got super into them a while ago, which wore of quickly, but this new song has got me looking forward to the new album.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
was never huge on clap your hands say yeah, but a friend of mine was wearing one of their band shirts semi-regularly last winter and i went back to that debut album and listened to it a bunch of times. their new lp - titled the tourist makes no coys about its aesthetic touchstones, that is, late 90s radiohead. the nasaly vocals, the guitar tones, the song titles (fireproof, the pilot, ambulance chaser, visiting hours). weird that the p4k review (who have a penchant for rambling about an album in a review for another album) doesn't even mention this. you're slipping schreiber.

Dude's vocals have improved a lot. Nice progression too for a mid-decade buzz band. They generally end up just reworking their original sound and diluting it.

Still, chucking on The Skin Of My Yellow Country Teeth in your first few years living in a city of millions for the first time on an orange autumn afternoon when it's 21 degrees and the cold is starting to set in after a day at uni, having a beer by yourself because you know no one else... genuinely a special song for those moments.

Ali Barter releases her debut album next week. It will be the first album of 2017 that I'll purchase.
She has released 3 EP's previously which I've really enjoyed and her new single, Cigarette is the best song I've heard so far this year.

Imelda May also has a new album due out this month which I'm also looking forward too.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
New Real Estate tomorrow. It leaked a while ago but I don't have enough space on my laptop so I'm waiting for Spotify to chuck it up. It seems Mondanile isn't missed too much and the highs are more constant than Atlas, but it's still their third best record and I guess people are having issues with them not changing it up... which they never will, and which was always going to happen.

crownie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
New Real Estate tomorrow. It leaked a while ago but I don't have enough space on my laptop so I'm waiting for Spotify to chuck it up. It seems Mondanile isn't missed too much and the highs are more constant than Atlas, but it's still their third best record and I guess people are having issues with them not changing it up... which they never will, and which was always going to happen.

Have listened to the first 8 tracks and i like it, production wise its doesn't sound as fresh as the previous album but i think it has more potential to grow as you listen to it.

Has received good reviews as well.

Have listened to the first 8 tracks and i like it, production wise its doesn't sound as fresh as the previous album but i think it has more potential to grow as you listen to it.

Has received good reviews as well.

Yeah, I'm a fan. Stained Glass and Two Arrows are the two standouts for me so far.

Back