JEDi 44

Club Legend
Feb 16, 2016
bevo's house
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
footscray bulldogs
Roberts has shown literally nothing every single time he has played forward. He has been hopeless in that role at both AFL and VFL level. Not sure what evidence there is for him being a forward.
He should fit in well then.
If he didn't get a game at the back end of the season, then it doesn't bode well for him as a defender in the future. He needs to reinvent himself either as a forward or on a wing or something. By the end of next season, he won't be best 3 as a key defender in the VFL, injuries permitting

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bit surprised with the Naughton pick up, would have preferred us to go a different way with that pick. Just think by the time he is ready Adams wood and young will be enough intercepting marking defenders don’t see that he fills a need at all. Like the Richards pick adds pace and skill off half back. Don’t know much about our last pick but late in the draft it’s pot luck really.

Would of liked us to go for a small-medium natural forward as I think our list lacks natural forwards. Seems we will be sending midfielders and half backs forward again.

I have no issue with Naughton as our 1st pick. He is light years away from an old style mark and kick backman and will add run and linkages from our backline. I would have liked either Higgins (proven goalkicker at TAC level) or Lachie Fogarty as badly needed small mid/forwards but I think Dalrymple just thinks Richards has more potential. Our midfield still looks as slow as treacle but perhaps that can be overcome to some extent by a regained sense of aggression and motivation.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can someone tell me where we are at with the forwards we drafted last year:

Young - Where did he play before he was drafted? Where did the 'club se him as a forward' rumours come from?
Lippy: got games last year before injury, so I assume is on the cards
Greene: Can he play?
McM: Can he play?

Sorry but Roberts and young aren’t forwards - they are failed forwards only moved back cause they didn’t show enough forward.

Calling Young a "failed" forward at age 18 seems a bit rough. I can't recall all his VFL match details but he would have played only a few games up forward for Footscray before being tried in defence where there was clearly a greater need at the time (remembering we had TBoyd, Stringer, Cloke and Redpath as tall forward options at that stage).

Unless you are saying he was tried as a forward as a junior and clearly failed. If so, I hadn't heard about that.

I have thought of him as something of a project player since he was absolute bottom age of his draft year. If he was 12 days younger he would probably have gone in the top 20 in 2017 - assuming his junior development trajectory continued OK. For him to have got senior games in 2017 was a bonus.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry but Roberts and young aren’t forwards - they are failed forwards only moved back cause they didn’t show enough forward.

It would be like throwing Liam jones back forward. They have shown more attributes as backs than forwards.
It Is why hooker will go back, why Taylor will go back, why Reid at Collingwood hasn’t been able to be a consistent fwd, possibly even why Moore will be back there also.

Jj s game against ess was great as a fwd but there is a reason he isn’t played there every week. I recall a few years ago he was played a lot there at Footscray but ... went down back when not consistent enough as fwd.

And if u believe WAFL watchers the same exact thing happened with Adams.
If drafting Naughton means a back has to play as a fwd then you consider brander a better recruit cause he would be a fwd who plays fwd- with flexibility to go back- but leaves a number of our blokes able to play in the position they are best.

Young is a failed forward at 18 years old during his first season?? That’s a massive stretch.

Funny that you mention Hooker. Has probably been better than any of our key forwards for a long time (likewise Moore) and Essendon have shown how easy it is to shift the other moving parts around quality KPP.

If you think being able to keep Fletcher Roberts at FB for Footscray makes Brander a better prospect than Naughton I don’t know what to tell you.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Young - Where did he play before he was drafted? Where did the 'club se him as a forward' rumours come from?
Lewis was a forward before he was drafted.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray

Young was a forward before he was drafted and spent some time there in the VFL early days but looked much more at home in the backline. I would argue that the likelihood of such a late draftee becoming a capable key forward are historically astronomically low. Nothing I saw of him as a forward gave me reason to believe he'd be an exception, but there's still time.

I'm not quite as enamoured with Lipinski as it seems the majority are but he does appear to lean more forward than mid which is great; hopefully he develops well.

Greene started the year very well as an opportunist goal kicker but doesn't get involved enough. Had some injuries which didn't help. Still too many question marks to factor him in to any real degree, but some promising signs.

I think NMM's best chances of making it are as a key defender unfortunately. Has some good attributes (great tackler, moves well, very aggressive, excellent mark) but really struggles to stay in the game and to get involved. Again, still time, but would consider him a remote chance of making a difference in our forward line.

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We don't know what type of player we will target in the rookie draft, could be a small mature forward.

Very true.
I wonder - if the best available is a key back at next years forst pick in the draft would we take them again?

The philosophy of next best has serious flaws. A line has to be drawn at some point between list balance and best available. Clearly we stepped over that line this year

Leviticus

All Australian
Oct 15, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

They are all still developing, some may get a few senior games this year but not en masse barring a catastrophe. Now that we have recruited highly rated KPB Naughton, Young has time to develop as a CHF in the VFL.

I think Rourke Smith is in front of at least a couple of them for a game. He is quite versatile, I think he has shown he can play above his height, could be an option at FP, HFF, Wing.

More generally re the forward line, if our listed forward types can find form in 2018, we will not have problems.

In particular, Redpath, Clay Smith, Dickson, Schache.

And Boyd/Roughead as resting tall forwards (I hold Boyd to be our #1 ruck).

We have seen that Bailey Dale is a good forward. Picken has been a good general forward the past few years, hopefully continues this in 2018.

Forward situation may not be as dire as some feel.

Not considering Roberts or Collins who most think are just backups or just haven't got the talent or pace, the following is our list of backs: Suckling, Wood, Cordy, Biggs, Adams, Young, Williams, Morris, JJ, Trengove, Crozier and now add Naughton and Richards. If Roarke Smith can return fit from his reco then we could add him too. A case could be made (although not convincingly in my opinion) is that a couple of these could be moved to the forward line but that still leaves a cast of thousands. I think the club is following the 'survival of the fittest' theory that if you have so many competing for spots then the best will emerge from the pack.
Imagine if we had a similar list of possibles for our forward line! It bodes for a very interesting season.
Personally, I wouldn't write Collins off just yet either, his late season form for Footscray was much improved.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
I think Rourke Smith is in front of at least a couple of them for a game. He is quite versatile, I think he has shown he can play above his height, could be an option at FP, HFF, Wing.
Roarke's a defender and hasn't shown any propensity to play other roles for mine.

Leviticus

All Australian
Oct 15, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Roarke's a defender and hasn't shown any propensity to play other roles for mine.
Maybe so, but I like what I have seen of him in the VFL. It is good to have medium sized types who are also competant overhead and I think he has that.

What an insightful image.

Any of you psychology types care to do a bit of spot analysis into what is going through the minds of Coffield and Naughton as they wistfully look at the jumpers of the clubs of their (reported) preferred club?

1511598668742.jpg

What an insightful image.

Any of you psychology types care to do a bit of spot analysis into what is going through the minds of Coffield and Naughton as they wistfully look at the jumpers of the clubs of their (reported) preferred club?

1511598668742.jpg
sometimes-you-have-to-thank-god-that-things-didnt-go-8347743.png

Very true.
I wonder - if the best available is a key back at next years forst pick in the draft would we take them again?

The philosophy of next best has serious flaws. A line has to be drawn at some point between list balance and best available. Clearly we stepped over that line this year

I'm not so sure, there is a higher failure rate in KPP so drafting a surplus increases the chance of success. Midfielders have a higher success rate, although your elites like Bont are harder to find.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Very true.

Its funny, because 95/100 'best available' equates to a mid.

Usually the argument against best available stems from the fact that quality KPP are rare as hens teeth, and not having a system in place that assigns them a 'scarcity premium' forever consigns us to being a short team full of mids, flankers, and spud talls.

yet here we are - the happy circumstance (according to dal) of being able to pick a KPP AND have that player be best available.

this temporary log jam of talls we have n the list will sort itself out.

some will retire
some will be delisted
some will be traded to carlton

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
People that respond to users that have told them they are on ignore 1000 times are doing nothing other than deliberately derailing the thread with continued dribble.

How are they not banned for this?
You literally just said there was forwards available, who are they? Answer the question. If you don't want to then stop ******* whinging.

Leviticus

All Australian
Oct 15, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I feel like everyone would have been much happier if we drafted Richards at 9 and Naughton at 16.

Great insight, brilliant point. Noting that it is likely Naughton would have been pick 13 at the latest. WC took Brander at that pick.

Leviticus

All Australian
Oct 15, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Club’s a massive rap on Lipinski. I personally don’t see it but the club loves him.

I saw Lapinski in the last game for 2017 against the Hawks. There is no question, he is a smooth mover and has sure hands. Could be anything or nothing at this stage.

Back