2017 National Draft - 24th November 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Very true.
I wonder - if the best available is a key back at next years forst pick in the draft would we take them again?

The philosophy of next best has serious flaws. A line has to be drawn at some point between list balance and best available. Clearly we stepped over that line this year

I don't think we did this year. You would have to be assuming our current tall backs set up is satisfactory and that none of them could be useful as utilities (e.g., Adams and Cordy).

If Trengove and Naughton fire and Collins, Roberts and Young establish or re-establish credentials, I could not see us going the same way again next year.

THE Western Bulldogs have secured two left-footed defenders they ranked inside the draft’s top 10 after punting Jake Stringer to Essendon last month.

Recruiter Simon Dalrymple said the Dogs were “concerned” that the drop in talent at Friday night’s national draft would affect who was left at pick 16, the selection acquired after Stringer was traded.

But they pounced on 194cm intercepting defender Aaron Naughton at No.9 and then grabbed 185cm halfback dasher Ed Richards at No.16.

0228a03785c2a9b465fbdd5393775b64

Aaron Naughton and Ed Richards will be the newest members of the kennel in 2018. Picture: Getty Images

“I was pessimistic (on Richards) because there were so many suitors between 10 and 15,” Dalrymple said.

“He was our next ranked player after Aaron.”

It’s understood the Dogs ranked Naughton at about No.6.

Richards was 45 minutes late to a meeting with Carlton last week, helping the Blues settle on Lochie O’Brien at No.10 instead of him.

But Dalrymple said the Carey Grammar student had an issue with his car that morning.

“From speaking to his teachers who have known him for five years, his character and his punctuality have been of the highest order,” Dalrymple said.

“We took the best player and he is also a good fit. He’ll work in well with Jason Johannisen, Shane Biggs, Bailey Williams and those guys after the retirements of Bob (Murphy) and (Matthew) Boydy.

“We’ve now restocked our back half of the ground for the future.”

Richards grew about 15cm in one year and plays with composure. The Heath Shaw-type is the grandson of Collingwood great Ron Richards and grand nephew of football icon Lou Richards.

“In Year 10 he was a tiny kid. But with that growth comes confidence and an ability to win your own ball a bit more and away you go,” Dalrymple said.

Naughton joins young key defenders Marcus Adams, Zaine Cordy, Fletcher Roberts, Kieran Collins and Lewis Young at Whitten Oval.

But Dalrymple said the Dogs simply had to take the best player at No.9.

“History is littered with examples of going too early on,” Dalrymple said.

“There’s a little bit of Easton Wood in him in the way he can intercept mark, and obviously he’s a bit bigger than Easton,” Dalrymple said.

“If he could only play on one type of player that would restrict him and his rating would’ve gone down, because we rate versatility really highly in our assessment criteria.

“He’s got the ability to intercept mark and read the cues along with his athleticism and competitiveness.

“We do have some promising key defenders, but it’s a competitive environment so the water level there is rising.”

Naughton turns 18 on Thursday but could debut next season after playing WAFL seniors this year.

The Dogs drafted Gippsland Power midfielder Callum Porter at No.74, who has won nine best-and-fairests.

“He’s a terrific country boy who loves his footy and Gippsland were glowing in their character assessment,” Dalrymple said.

“Talking to him last night I don’t think I’ve ever had a boy that, when I’ve rung to congratulate them, say to me that this is only the start and that I’m coming here to work and won’t let you down.

“It means so much to him and he’ll leave no stone unturned to make it a career.”

The Dogs will select one rookie tomorrow.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/55313223eb07380369a19fbd8f70efa8

Sounds like we got lucky with Richards. He was 45 minutes late to his interview with Carlton, they were strongly linked to him.

THE Western Bulldogs have secured two left-footed defenders they ranked inside the draft’s top 10 after punting Jake Stringer to Essendon last month.

Recruiter Simon Dalrymple said the Dogs were “concerned” that the drop in talent at Friday night’s national draft would affect who was left at pick 16, the selection acquired after Stringer was traded.

But they pounced on 194cm intercepting defender Aaron Naughton at No.9 and then grabbed 185cm halfback dasher Ed Richards at No.16.

0228a03785c2a9b465fbdd5393775b64

Aaron Naughton and Ed Richards will be the newest members of the kennel in 2018. Picture: Getty Images

“I was pessimistic (on Richards) because there were so many suitors between 10 and 15,” Dalrymple said.

“He was our next ranked player after Aaron.”

It’s understood the Dogs ranked Naughton at about No.6.

Richards was 45 minutes late to a meeting with Carlton last week, helping the Blues settle on Lochie O’Brien at No.10 instead of him.

But Dalrymple said the Carey Grammar student had an issue with his car that morning.

“From speaking to his teachers who have known him for five years, his character and his punctuality have been of the highest order,” Dalrymple said.

“We took the best player and he is also a good fit. He’ll work in well with Jason Johannisen, Shane Biggs, Bailey Williams and those guys after the retirements of Bob (Murphy) and (Matthew) Boydy.

“We’ve now restocked our back half of the ground for the future.”

Richards grew about 15cm in one year and plays with composure. The Heath Shaw-type is the grandson of Collingwood great Ron Richards and grand nephew of football icon Lou Richards.

“In Year 10 he was a tiny kid. But with that growth comes confidence and an ability to win your own ball a bit more and away you go,” Dalrymple said.

Naughton joins young key defenders Marcus Adams, Zaine Cordy, Fletcher Roberts, Kieran Collins and Lewis Young at Whitten Oval.

But Dalrymple said the Dogs simply had to take the best player at No.9.

“There’s a little bit of Easton Wood in him in the way he can intercept mark, and obviously he’s a bit bigger than Easton,” Dalrymple said.

“If he could only play on one type of player that would restrict him and his rating would’ve gone down, because we rate versatility really highly in our assessment criteria.

“He’s got the ability to intercept mark and read the cues along with his athleticism and competitiveness.

“We do have some promising key defenders, but it’s a competitive environment so the water level there is rising.”

Naughton turns 18 on Thursday but could debut next season after playing WAFL seniors this year.

The Dogs drafted Gippsland Power midfielder Callum Porter at No.74, who has won nine best-and-fairests.

“He’s a terrific country boy who loves his footy and Gippsland were glowing in their character assessment,” Dalrymple said.

“Talking to him last night I don’t think I’ve ever had a boy that, when I’ve rung to congratulate them, say to me that this is only the start and that I’m coming here to work and won’t let you down.

“It means so much to him and he’ll leave no stone unturned to make it a career.”

The Dogs will select one rookie tomorrow.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/55313223eb07380369a19fbd8f70efa8

Sounds like we got lucky with Richards. He was 45 minutes late to his interview with Carlton, they were strongly linked to him.
Must have been super keen to dump Stringer if they were concerned of the talent drop off around 16 yet still did the deal

He’ll work in well with Jason Johannisen, Shane Biggs, Bailey Williams and those guys after the retirements of Bob (Murphy) and (Matthew) Boydy.
Probably reading too much into it but I wonder if drafting Richards has altered their plans to play Crozier down back?

I feel like everyone would have been much happier if we drafted Richards at 9 and Naughton at 16.
I would have been happier with Fogarty at 9 and Richards at 16.

Better yet, had we taken the first bomber deal we could have had Fogarty at 9 and Bonar at 11. That would have been pretty exciting.

I would have been happier with Fogarty at 9 and Richards at 16.

Better yet, had we taken the first bomber deal we could have had Fogarty at 9 and Bonar at 11. That would have been pretty exciting.

First Bomber deal, Fogarty and Bonar at 11 means we didn't get Schache & pick 16.

Let's see how we go. I think D Fogarty will be a bust (not good enough at any particular position) and Bonar will either go off with the same knee injury in the VFL or turn out to be Mr Slow Decision Maker with Concrete Hands when he can't push the school boys around. But you may be right.

I remember when people were angry that Toumpas went before Macrae because a lot of people here wanted Toumpas. Good times.

Last edited:
Two things caught my eye in that interview transcript:

1. But Dalrymple said the Dogs simply had to take the best player at No.9.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's STILL smarting over that selection of Christian Howard ahead of Nat Fyfe. Don't worry Simon, we should learn from our mistakes and move on ... and you've done just that. You're more than forgiven. On reflection it might have been quite influential in shaping how Dalrymple now goes about his business.​

2. Re Porter: “Talking to him last night I don’t think I’ve ever had a boy that, when I’ve rung to congratulate them, say to me that this is only the start and that I’m coming here to work and won’t let you down.

This just ups the ante with Porter. Not sure that it was a great idea for Simon to say that because it will increase the pressure a little for the kid to succeed, but I've got to say I love that attitude. Sounds like the sort of kid who thrives on that sort of pressure. He probably won't retire wondering whether he got enough out of his career.​

Think a lot of people will be surpised with Porter
He's the type of player Bevo loves and I fully expect him to play 4-6 afl games next year with a full pre season

Personally I'm rapt Dal has finally seen fit to invest a top 10 pick on a KPP. Rapt we finally have some talls with decent pedigree. Schache, Naugjton and Boyd. Very good work!

Those saying we've not invested in KPFs are plain wrong. We've effectively given up a top 10 pick, Griffen and Stringer for KPFs in Boyd and Schache (no 1 and 2 in drafts)

Can't fault the idea. Just hope they all work out. Yet to see Dal draft a tall high so will watch Naughton with interest.

Tiny fast types can be found later in our build and develop quick. Happy for that to happen next year.

First Bomber deal, Fogarty and Bonar at 11 means we didn't get Schache & pick 16.

Let's see how we go. I think D Fogarty will be a bust (not good enough at any particular position) and Bonar will either go off with the same knee injury in the VFL or turn out to be Mr Slow Decision Maker with Concrete Hands when he can't push the school boys around. But you may be right.
First bomber deal 11 and 47 for Stringer and 27.

Next years second and our pick 40 gets Schache.

47 gets Crozier.

Do you? They were in different drafts...
Stand corrected, meant Toumpas over macrae and stringer to an extent.

Sentiments are the same. Nobody really knows anything yet about whether these guys will do well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably reading too much into it but I wonder if drafting Richards has altered their plans to play Crozier down back?
Here's hoping. Crozier is one of the few in that logjam that seems to have some forward nous. Does also suggest that JJ won't be moving forward, however. And we're still no wiser as to which tall defenders will have to make the transition.

First bomber deal 11 and 47 for Stringer and 27.

Next years second and our pick 40 gets Schache.

47 gets Crozier.

The first Essendon offer valued Stringer at pick 20 and was absolutely insulting including the way it was delivered with all the media hustlers joining in. I prefer the way we went, more dignity. Crozier with pick 47, maybe but who knows, maybe someone with a pick greater than 40 and less than 47 may have jumped in? The Schache deal, we worked them, we kept them warm, you can't be sure they would have gone for next year's second, they needed players this year, you can't know what next years second round pick will be. Could be as bad as pick 36;-) - may have been a consideration for them.

Last edited:
No disrespect to Porter mate I know zero about him but the lay pick is always a dart throw.

The first two low picks should have been used for dire needs imo not more depth in a position we arnt too bad in.

Footy is changing to a high pressure, fast movement game and we are going tall????

I really have no idea what the club has been thinking since October 16 but most of what we have done hasn’t worked.

I have to agree re: KPD's ... this is confusing (bewildering) unless some of these guys are earmarked as forwards (like 2 of ... Young, Cordy, Trengrove and Adams). Though as you say in another post this rarely works in the long term.

I'm just not sure who kicks our goals. Dickson on last legs and Crameri and Stringer gone. Boyd and Schache, would need to improve out of sight.

You literally just said there was forwards available, who are they? Answer the question. If you don't want to then stop ******* whinging.

I think everyone will be keeping an eye on how Jack Higgins and lachie Fogarty both go. Dogs spoke and interviewed them multiple times.
Darcy Fogarty another.
Imo our small fwd stocks struggle and will struggle in two years when Dickson and Picken and I think Clay Smith will be finished

Last edited:
I don't think we did this year. You would have to be assuming our current tall backs set up is satisfactory and that none of them could be useful as utilities (e.g., Adams and Cordy).

If Trengove and Naughton fire and Collins, Roberts and Young establish or re-establish credentials, I could not see us going the same way again next year.

Oh we went best available - listen to Simon’s interview post draft - I’m just repeating what’ve is saying.

In another interview he suggests we had a surplus of backs and it’s sure to get to competitive juices going.

So he readily admits we took best available and it’s caused an imbalance - sd has said so

What an insightful image.

Any of you psychology types care to do a bit of spot analysis into what is going through the minds of Coffield and Naughton as they wistfully look at the jumpers of the clubs of their (reported) preferred club?

1511598668742.jpg

Very interesting case the saints.
Have delisted docker Sam Collins training with them as a key backman. Have openly expressed a need for a key back.

Yet instead of going Naughton they we half backs and mids.

They didn’t draft best available even when it was one of their needs. They went their higher need first and are willing to go in with a lesser back Sam Collins on their list or even no one

Very interesting case the saints.
Have delisted docker Sam Collins training with them as a key backman. Have openly expressed a need for a key back.

Yet instead of going Naughton they we half backs and mids.

They didn’t draft best available even when it was one of their needs. They went their higher need first and are willing to go in with a lesser back Sam Collins on their list or even no one
St Kilda did trade Logan Austin in from Port as a KPD so
technically going Naughton was not a need.

Personally I'm rapt Dal has finally seen fit to invest a top 10 pick on a KPP. Rapt we finally have some talls with decent pedigree. Schache, Naugjton and Boyd. Very good work!

Those saying we've not invested in KPFs are plain wrong. We've effectively given up a top 10 pick, Griffen and Stringer for KPFs in Boyd and Schache (no 1 and 2 in drafts)

Can't fault the idea. Just hope they all work out. Yet to see Dal draft a tall high so will watch Naughton with interest.

Tiny fast types can be found later in our build and develop quick. Happy for that to happen next year.
I'm wrapped someone else has actually noted we have a number 1 and number 2 picks as KPF's to develop starting from a zero base

I'm wrapped someone else has actually noted we have a number 1 and number 2 picks as KPF's to develop starting from a zero base
Be good to get a decent key forward coach for them though, or better forward line coach. Hell, a better midfield coach might help the delivery.

But it’s a chicken/egg issue. What’s our problem? Forwards can’t lead and mark or our mids can’t kick to the right spot?

You literally just said there was forwards available, who are they? Answer the question. If you don't want to then stop ******* whinging.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa look at the bloody list it isn’t hard even for you.

Bonar
Fogarty!!!!!!!!!!
Higgins
Did I mention FOGARTY!

Stop jumping on that moron who I have ignored, sooking and read what the other 20 people have written on here re forwards. Unlike some I don’t feel the need to repeat other people and claim it as my own.

Oh did I mention FOGARTY??

Yay another KPB well at least he will see plenty of the ball because we have no one to kick goals. Oh no that’s right we will transform blokes who are defenders into forwards coz that has worked so well in the history of AFL. Les use forwards as number one rucks also while we are at it. Oh no too late we already tried that. And Red and Honey are due to break out after 14 years on the list so yipeeeee

Heres hoping next year we can bring in any other KPB coz he is best available and then try to bullshit why that’s a good idea AGAIN.

We could recruit 7 ruckman and some of you blokes would say but they were the best available and blah blah blah th club knows best and trust in Dalrymple.

Lol lemmings unite!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back