Game Day 2017 National Draft

The OP for our new picks must be accurate and informative. Who should do it?

• Anyone

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Wait for TD

Votes: 71 64.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It was just announced on the Sunday Footy Show and apparently confirmed by cricket and football sources.
Apparently it will be announced officially soon. (Not sure when "soon" is).

Last edited:

Or it's a blind, so AFLGWS Giants can get him easily

(Just being cheeky)

There's still some forwards we could select with the first pick like Brander, Fogarty or Balta. We could even go for Hayes or Coleman-Jones but I have heard they are more rucks than forwards. We also might end up trading our first pick for Lever or Hopper.

Say we remain with pick 5, and the draft order is as follows;

1. Rayner (Bris)
2. Brander (NM/GWS)
3. Davies-Uniacke (Carlton)
4. Fogarty (Gold Coast)

Who do we draft?

1. Rayner (Bris)
2. Brander (NM/GWS)
4. Fogarty (Gold Coast)

Who do we draft?

Trade up to ensure we draft Fogarty or Brander :thumbsu:

Suggestions?

Carlton. Out of the five clubs with early selections I think they're the one least likely to lock themselves into one player especially given they'll likely have two firsts with Gibbs gone, IMO. The guy they want at 3 is every chance to be there at 5.

As to the how. I'd find out who they're after from another club and help them out. Say they want Devon Smith well then we chuck one of our later picks into the deal to grease the wheel.

Something that always perplexes me is the suggestion we trade a fringe type player or not highly rated player coupled with a pick for a higher pick.

Why would another club take a fringe / not highly rated player off our hands and give us their gold?

I doesn't quite compute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something that always perplexes me is the suggestion we trade a fringe type player or not highly rated player coupled with a pick for a higher pick.

Why would another club take a fringe / not highly rated player off our hands and give us their gold?

I doesn't quite compute.

Why did West Coast trade down from 6 to 11 in 2013? If you can add value the other club would be stupid not to go for it.

Why did West Coast trade down from 6 to 11 in 2013? If you can add value the other club would be stupid not to go for it.
Agree.

But knowing our modus operandi it would more likely be us giving away too much.

Agree.

But knowing our modus operandi it would more likely be us giving away too much.

That's the guts of it for me! Do we pull a 2016 Hawthorn (their trade with St Kilda) or a 2016 GWS (their trade up to 2)? Under the current regime I think we're more Hawthorn, but I think it's a necessity to put us in the box seat to land Brander/ Fogarty.

That's the guts of it for me! Do we pull a 2016 Hawthorn (their trade with St Kilda) or a 2016 GWS (their trade up to 2)? Under the current regime I think we're more Hawthorn, but I think it's a necessity to put us in the box seat to land Brander/ Fogarty.
I reckon it would be hard to do a deal as bad as what Hawthorn did last year! But given how freely Gubby and Hine were giving other clubs 'fair' deals last year you can appreciate why I'm nervous about their ability to trade for a top 3 pick? Something tells me pick 5 + a fringe player won't do it.

Yes (close enough to) his name is Nick Coffield which is why I keep mentioning him! Get in a KPF and draft Coffield :)
Yep I agree. He's pushing for top 10.

The other one is Charlie Constable. Had a big TAC cup game over the weekend. 29 and 3 goals from the midfield not a bad return.

Balta also had a big game. Hopefully has a strong finish to the season and moves up the rankings a bit.

There are bolters and sliders in every draft. A kid picked at 5 v 8/9 is not going to make a huge difference provided our recruiters have done their homework.

The improvement will come from within. Winning games with Maynard, Aish, JDG, Moore, Shaz, Broomy, WHE, etc will build confidence in one another and set us on the right path.

Brown, Kirby, Daicos are still in nappies. They can get another preseason under their belt and put their hand up next year.

1. Rayner (Bris)
2. Brander (NM/GWS)
4. Fogarty (Gold Coast)

Who do we draft?

Not sure that NM/GWS would actually take a tall forward. Unless NM do some massive clean out of their talls, they struggle to fit them all on the same ground. Ben Brown and Mason Wood are the pillars they look like basing their future forward line around, coupled with Waite, Daw, Preuss, Goldstein, plus players like Hansen and Sam Durdin who can go forward when needed, I think they'll need to move 2-3 of them on to even consider drafting a tall. GWS might take a tall but they to already have Patton, Cameron, Lobb and Tomlinson can go forward. In fact I think GWS will be tempted by Hayes the ruckman to develop alongside Mummy.

If Fogarty is there at pick 4, GC might take him, however they also have Lynch, Wright and Day to come back from injury, meaning they to may over look a tall forward, unless they view him as being more of midfield/forward type, i.e 75% mid 25% forward type player.

I think one of Brander and Fogarty will be there at pick 5 for us.

Back