Game Day 2017 National Draft

The OP for our new picks must be accurate and informative. Who should do it?

• Anyone

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Wait for TD

Votes: 71 64.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Expert analysis of every club’s draft picks and who is set to star in 2018

COLLINGWOOD

THE Magpies considered reaching for Nathan Murphy at No.6 and got him at No.39. They were the first to interview the former cricketer, who was batting for Australia against Pakistan at under-16 level exactly two years ago. Murphy a brilliant athlete who was a goalkicker for Brighton Grammar but likely to settle on a back flank, as will trade target Sam Murray. Jaidyn Stephenson an ideal fit at the Magpies as a line-breaking midfielder who can kick bags of goals. He’s a great size and was best-afield in the under-18 curtain-raiser on Grand Final day. Stephenson’s instinct is to move the ball forward aggressively, which Nathan Buckley’s side needs. New list boss Ned Guy matched a late bid for father-son Tyler Brown, who requires patience as a very skinny midfielder but has natural class.

MAGPIES PICKS: Jaidyn Stephenson, 6. Nathan Murphy, 39. Tyler Brown, 50.

be71febe2bdd855952a0025288233d31

Nathan Buckley presents Jaidyn Stephenson with a Collingwood guernsey.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...8/news-story/1ecf36bf3cbeda312c3c9b2e253d7d47

So Oxley will be one, possibly Ramsay another, so only 1 live pick? Would have to be a tall surely!
Hoping for Butts at 6, then Ramma, then anyone because Oxley has been ‘stolen’ by another club :p

Richmond meh for mine. If we're talking quality I'd rate Geelong and Port's hauls as very good considering their relative draft hands.
Port would be absolutely thrilled to get Hayes so late. Some really amazing sliders this year.

If everyone thinks we are going hard for Lynch (which I hope we are) Why would we have pissed away that 2nd round pick in 2018? We are going to need a lot of currency to get him
We will get him as a free agent with a seperate ‘overs’ deal to supplement them. We give up a first for a depth player and they get a top 3 compo pick. Will be a better option for them than gambling on a future pick from us which could be outside the top 10.

Dunn is a dud
Reid plays half a season
McLarty hasn't played as yet

We needed a Naughton down there.. and we opt for Stephenson.. ok fair enough.. looks the goods right.. come pick 39.. what do we do.. get a cricketer well have to develop in the vfl.

Then we go for Tyler.

I mean what are we thinking.. I'm not happy mate.. not sad.. not anything.. I'm erghhhh ok. Here we go again.

I don't understand the excitement some have over a draft that really makes no sense to me given our predicament.

i think we are a fair way off a premiership. With that being the case, why select KPP players in a draft who are possibly just ordinary? Apart from Naughton, there weren't any standout big men. If we didn't have pick 6 and the quality of utlities weren't that much better, then yeah it may have been different.

But as it is we picked up who we considered were best available. The next draft may well be totally different. I think not holding a 2nd round pick was the bigger issue. If you think Varco, Greenwood, Aish, etc are going to be instrumental in us being a contender, you are on another planet. We need to replace these guys with quality kids.

The club rated both Stephenson and Murphy very highly. To get them both was a great success. You are very unlikely to get a great KPP at pick 50. Go to the rookie draft and try out 1 or 2. I think we will need to use the next 3 drafts to re-build. This is simply step 1.

lynch will be a trade. suns will match any offer imo.

A lot will depend on finishing position for both clubs IMO.

Gold Coast finish 17th, us 7th then pick 3 as compensation in a super draft full of top shelf key position prospects compared to pick 12 and a 2019 1st round selection will require some serious thinking on their part.

Gold Coast finish 17th and us 13th then yes a trade will be required you'd imagine.

P.S-Don't the AFL now have the option of awarding more than a single pick as compensation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got nothing to say.
Posting this simply to bring up post number 5000

Love your work ottoman........congrats on 5000 posts mate.

I've got nothing to say.
Posting this simply to bring up post number 5000
Brilliant work our Turkish correspondent.

It's been 5,000 posts

Some elite level posting,

Some very good posting.

Some ok posting.

The rest, well it's at least an effort, young man.

:D

I'm thinking overall 8 to 9/10 effort with what we had.

Unsure the quality KPP was there so we did super well getting

2 top 20 types and perhaps brining in Stephenson in years will be seen as inspired.

And what about the massive risk that Lynch stays at Gold Coast considering they have a young up and coming list and the AFL are determined to bankroll Lynch staying at the club? Unless we have a guarantee from his manager he will move it's so risky it could be considered foolish.
Yes and no i dont think there were any huge standout forwards screaming out to be selected. Word is fogarty was relieved to be staying in adelaide. If clubs had the inkling he wanted to be in adelaide then they stay away. Stepheneson was too good to go past (i rate him higher than brander) as was murphy at 39. They might have their eye on a number of talls next year and thought we'll take the best players available and get a tall next year. The other thing is these boys aren't short being 188cm and 189cm which is important if we want to have short players like daicos and brown.

Port would be absolutely thrilled to get Hayes so late. Some really amazing sliders this year.
I was surprised, but then I wasn't. He's the kind of player that if you have a need for a number one ruck, fantastic. But if you're looking for a ruck/forward he's probably not quite what you want. If you have a couple of mobile key forwards yeah, but if you're a team with less mobile forwards, you cannot really afford to have Hayes there unless he's a number one ruck. I know we liked him and had Murphy not been there I think we would have considered him, but you couldn't really have him and Cox in the same team IMO. Port could use Hayes and Ryder in tandem, but Hayes is more a successor to Ryder, and yeah, a great get.

A lot will depend on finishing position for both clubs IMO.

Gold Coast finish 17th, us 7th then pick 3 as compensation in a super draft full of top shelf key position prospects compared to pick 12 and a 2019 1st round selection will require some serious thinking on their part.

Gold Coast finish 17th and us 13th then yes a trade will be required you'd imagine.

P.S-Don't the AFL now have the option of awarding more than a single pick as compensation?
I don’t think they do, but the AFL are very good at manipulating the rules. They could use losing Lynch as the trigger to grant a priority pick in addition to the compensation they receive. Or they could manipulate the formula for compensation to upgrade the banding of another free agent if they were to loose a second one (like they did with Melbourne and Frawley a few years ago).

Back