Game Day 2017 National Draft

The OP for our new picks must be accurate and informative. Who should do it?

• Anyone

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Wait for TD

Votes: 71 64.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm on the Sutherland bandwagon myself should he be there at our pick. But Sam Hayes is one we'd have to consider given he meets a desperate need. If we're able to find a KPP and win a few games finishing with pick 7-10 I'd take Nick Coffield. Exactly what we need, utility that has Pendles skill with that Sidey flexibility all over him. 80% efficiency plus with 40% contested, played midfield, forward and now back in the champs. His pinpoint passes are delicious.

I'm on the Sutherland bandwagon myself should he be there at our pick. But Sam Hayes is one we'd have to consider given he meets a desperate need. If we're able to find a KPP and win a few games finishing with pick 7-10 I'd take Nick Coffield. Exactly what we need, utility that has Pendles skill with that Sidey flexibility all over him. 80% efficiency plus with 40% contested, played midfield, forward and now back in the champs. His pinpoint passes are delicious.
Coffield is definitely one moving up the ranks quickly. I think he'll crack the 10 come draft day.

because I dont produce one......

I think you mean Knightmare

To be fair (and as I mentioned) the top top 10 players you could throw a blanket over so you will / should see very different views from those that watch a fair bit of junior footy. Going to be a really interesting year as clubs are going to have to cover a lot of players bc it is so open and on the night would expect some drama.

Question

You mentioned next years draft is a cracker, could the club potentially down grade our pick while trying to secure another 1st for next year?

Pies - Richmond 1st pick 2017 and 2018
Richmond - Pies 1st pick 2017 and 2nd pick 2018

Pies get a late first round pick and go into 2018 with 2 first rounders.

Question

You mentioned next years draft is a cracker, could the club potentially down grade our pick while trying to secure another 1st for next year?

Pies - Richmond 1st pick 2017 and 2018
Richmond - Pies 1st pick 2017 and 2nd pick 2018

Pies get a late first round pick and go into 2018 with 2 first rounders.

I think the club will think they can turn it around in 2018, like the Tigers have this year.

So i doubt they will take a long term approach like what you say. But I'm open to the idea of new coach, and hitting the draft over the next two years... like the Blues have. Having a better crack at being a top 4 side in the long term than peaking as a bottom 8 side and having to hit the draft again in a couple of years time anyhow

Keep first pick and a Tallish forward almost regardless of all else. They are hard to get and we just need one, there are a number of good prospects that fall around our pick anyway so it fits mostly. Favour those who are producing heavily over projects.

At 192cm I view Fogarty as more a tall utility than a KPP. But he can play KPP as needed.

If his endurance improves, Fogarty probably becomes more a midfielder over time.

He was 193cm at the start of the season the champ callers have inaccurately been reporting the 192cm. For all we know could be taller given the time has past. Also you can still play KPP at 193cm if you know how and when to lead.

Cameron, Kennedy, J.Reiwoldt, NReiwoldt, Patton, Hawkins, Walker, Franklin, none are 200cm KPPs all the old school height range 192-197cm still in todays game.

Too many recruiters have a hard on for the 200cm fwds yet none of them have ever reached the goal kicking heights of the KPP who are 192-197cm bracket. Trying to reinvent the wheel largely due to Kurt Tippett early form at the Crows, now Lynch at GC 199cm being the prototype.

http://sanfl.com.au/croweater-catch-darcy-fogarty/

Glenelg’s Darcy Fogarty has revealed a sudden growth spurt has him primed to take the next step in his quest to post a strong 2017 campaign.

Considered to be one of SA’s brightest teenage talents this year, Fogarty has shot up from 189cm to 193cm, since August last year.

Speaking on SANFL Radio, the 17-year-old said he had also put on at least six kilograms in the same period to ensure he tips the scales at 90kg.

Article from Feb 28th.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2017-draft-almanac.1161261/

This is a good resource, thanks Knightmare.

From the looks of it there are quite a few highly rated talls. Sam Hayes might be a good option if available, would mean we could have Grundy doing the bulk of the work in the ruck with Moore and Hayes rotating through periodically.

Hayes would leave us still needing a KPP, he is mainly a ruck who can go forward with long term projection like a David Hale. He often plays on undersized opponents.

Even this champs games VC played a HFF/MID against him, he does have talent but I would be looking elsewhere for where our list sits.

I kind of want us to tank just to get Sutherland, and it makes me feel dirty.

Don't feel dirty as you are putting the long term future ahead of your need to see short term gratification (like many of the short sighted on here).

Ie: a few immediate but meaningless wins vs building a genuine contending list.

I got a feeling we wont need to tank anyway, there is only so many close and honourable losses a team can take before the wheels fall off completely.

Would be a different matter if we were sitting in the top 10 and could beat a s**t team like the current version of the Hawks.

That's interesting. Could tell he looks to create and move it forward with ball in hand.

With guys like this, a little part of me wonders if they will end up being a jack of all trades but a master of none. But I'm no expert.

He can play effectively as a tall forward, people rated last years crop better then this years and he kicked 4.3 in one of the champs games when healthy as an underager for an example.

He is carrying a knee injury in the champs and even then his first champs game showed why he is highly rated.

His last game however was very very poor but again he was recieving a lot of off the ball attention and is labouring atm.

It was dissapointing to not see him work through it but he is only young and likely hasn't copped a team wide focus as strong as the VM boys put it on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How tall is Sutherland and what are his strengths and weaknesses?

May need to trade up our 1st rounder to ensure we get him if he really is the best KPP talent in the draft

I kind of want us to tank just to get Sutherland, and it makes me feel dirty.

It is not tanking.

It is 'strategically positioning the club within the confines of the list management cycle after making a pragmatic and realistic assessment of the playing list and its prospects for success for the remainder of the current season and in the immediate-to-medium term'...

Haven't your lawyers taught you anything over the journey...?

He was 193cm at the start of the season the champ callers have inaccurately been reporting the 192cm. For all we know could be taller given the time has past. Also you can still play KPP at 193cm if you know how and when to lead.

Cameron, Kennedy, J.Reiwoldt, NReiwoldt, Patton, Hawkins, Walker, Franklin, none are 200cm KPPs all the old school height range 192-197cm still in todays game.

Too many recruiters have a hard on for the 200cm fwds yet none of them have ever reached the goal kicking heights of the KPP who are 192-197cm bracket. Trying to reinvent the wheel largely due to Kurt Tippett early form at the Crows, now Lynch at GC 199cm being the prototype.

Article from Feb 28th.

Was it you who made the comparison to Pavlich earlier in the other thread? Is that a realistic one in Fogarty's case?

Last edited:
How tall is Sutherland and what are his strengths and weaknesses?

May need to trade up our 1st rounder to ensure we get him if he really is the best KPP talent in the draft

I'll leave the in-depth profiling to others, but Sutherland has been reported as 195cm and 90kg...

Brander having a good game...

Article from Feb 28th.

Very interesting.

Goodes was 194cm, Pavlich 192cm. I agree that it's plenty tall enough if you're good enough. It does allow you to play up the ground which Fogarty can clearly do.

I think it's about needs for us... What's the best type for our circumstances, which is essentially to partner Moore? That raises the question of how do we best play Moore? If it's as a forward/ruck, do we need more of a stay at home forward? Or is flexibility more useful, in that we would have two key forwards who can play more than one role on the ground?

I don't have answers myself but I'd love to hear an unguarded answer from Hine.

Very interesting.

Goodes was 194cm, Pavlich 192cm. I agree that it's plenty tall enough if you're good enough. It does allow you to play up the ground which Fogarty can clearly do.

I think it's about needs for us... What's the best type for our circumstances, which is essentially to partner Moore? That raises the question of how do we best play Moore? If it's as a forward/ruck, do we need more of a stay at home forward? Or is flexibility more useful, in that we would have two key forwards who can play more than one role on the ground?

Hine couldn't pick a tall to save himself.

I'll leave the in-depth profiling to others, but Sutherland has been reported as 195cm and 90kg...
I like it, should develop to around 198 cm during his career and if he's taking contested marks and playing well as KPF at only 90 kg that means he's naturally a good marking forward rather than relying on sheer size.

If Sutherland is the player we most need then operation "we aren't tanking, no really we're not" must get underway now.

Pick 2 should see it get done I assume.

Very interesting.

I think the trends this year and last suggest more flexibility will be key moving forward.

Back