Game Day 2017 National Draft

The OP for our new picks must be accurate and informative. Who should do it?

• Anyone

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Wait for TD

Votes: 71 64.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You can see it now. Draft night rolls around and we're all up and about because we have two picks in the teens.

Newspapers the next day run with "grandson of a gun and draft bolter land at pies" with a byline of Richards and Murphy the next generation of Pies stars ready to have an impact. Naughton, Clavarino and Balta will all be on the board at those picks too.
And Richmond will grab Balta and another tall with their picks and I'll vomit.

I can still see us taking Jack Higgins. It'll be hilarious.
200.gif

Could be worse, imagine Pies picking up Hunter Clark and Tom North or something - exact clones of 3/4s of our midfield. Inside ball winners without the ability to hit targets regularly.

Disclaimer: I'm a fan of Clark in close and love his passion, but he's one of the worst possible first round picks for the Pies based on needs

Hey Snoop Dog and Knightmare what do you consider the draft ranges of Balta, Petty and Coffield to be?

Are there any decent small forwards that could be added late? I think of the value Fantasia and Castagna have provided and would like to see us target some late or in the rookie.

Hey Snoop Dog and Knightmare what do you consider the draft ranges of Balta, Petty and Coffield to be?

Are there any decent small forwards that could be added late? Ithink of the value Fantasia and Castagna have provided and would like to see us target some late or in the rookie.
And to add further to that, who had the most tackles in the forward 50 in the TAC cup this year? Having some more manic pressure up forward definitely wouldn't go astray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balta is highly rated by the Canons but is seen as an unkown talent. Does some really special things but then can go missing. He has serious athletic qualities in that he can run, jump and kick a mile. Kicked an 80 metre goal from the centre circle at Preston (with the wind) in a game there this year.

I actually don't mind Higgins - he's not a midget midfielder, he's a really dangerous small forward (crumber) who can play taller than he is and he also earns his own ball, like Toby Greene does.

Balta is highly rated by the Canons but is seen as an unkown talent. Does some really special things but then can go missing. He has serious athletic qualities in that he can run, jump and kick a mile. Kicked an 80 metre goal from the centre circle at Preston (with the wind) in a game there this year.
I want him in a Collingwood jumper. He's exactly what we need.

Are there any decent small forwards that could be added late? I think of the value Fantasia and Castagna have provided and would like to see us target some late or in the rookie.

Balta 10-25

Petty 15-35

Coffield 5-20

As for small forwards. The players I would willingly endorse:

Liam Ryan (WAFL) I see great value in as a rookie. 73 goals from 22 league games (turning 21 in October). The reason he is a rookie is because his endurance is terrible - think roughly a 10 beep test. A bit like the Kirby selection last year, he's one you take because he has the talent and production.

Brent Daniels is a gun and the other I like, though he feels like a mid-draft choice rather than rookie. Good as a mid but terrific as a forward. He's got the quickness, excellent at ground level and has the skills and finishing. He's a natural.

Jack Higgins, while he's probably a top 10 choice. He's a particularly impressive small forward also who can push through the midfield. Pick 6 is earlier than I'd be willing to select him, as ready to go and as strong as his career appears set to be.

Balta 10-25

Petty 15-35

Coffield 5-20

As for small forwards. The players I would willingly endorse:

Liam Ryan (WAFL) I see great value in as a rookie. 73 goals from 22 league games (turning 21 in October). The reason he is a rookie is because his endurance is terrible - think roughly a 10 beep test. A bit like the Kirby selection last year, he's one you take because he has the talent and production.

Brent Daniels is a gun and the other I like, though he feels like a mid-draft choice rather than rookie. Good as a mid but terrific as a forward. He's got the quickness, excellent at ground level and has the skills and finishing. He's a natural.

Jack Higgins, while he's probably a top 10 choice. He's a particularly impressive small forward also who can push through the midfield. Pick 6 is earlier than I'd be willing to select him, as ready to go and as strong as his career appears set to be.

It seems to me there are a lot of highly rated key and small defenders this year. But not a lot of highly rated key and small forwards. Do the defenders look better because they don't have quality forwards to defend? Or vice versa?

Last edited:
It seems to me there are a lot of highly rated key and small defenders this year. But not a lot of highly rated key and small forwards. Do they defenders look better because they don't have quality forwards to defend? Or vice versa?

Key forwards are ok, there isn't that top, top end star, but there are still a number who can have AFL careers. Key defenders there just happen to be a lot of good ones.

I suspect it's more so that key defenders are getting taller and also improving intercepting and rebounding capabilities, which is why more than in the past seem to be available this year.

Key forwards are ok, there isn't that top, top end star, but there are still a number who can have AFL careers. Key defenders there just happen to be a lot of good ones.

I suspect it's more so that key defenders are getting taller and also improving intercepting and rebounding capabilities, which is why more than in the past seem to be available this year.

Which key forwards do you think project as having AFL careers? I know Balta is one key position player you like. If we were to recruit him would you develop him as a forward?

Brander is the other that is highly rated and looks okay. But he seems more of a roaming centre half forward to me and I question whether he compliments Moore very well. Plus he seems okay without projecting as dominant. Would Westhoff be a fair comparison?

It seems that our 36 is looking a stretch for Petty. I'd like to trade into the late teens to ensure we get him. He's my favourite key defender in the draft. Balta and Petty would be two very good talls to regenerate our spine with when you add McLarty too.

Last edited:
Been struggling to find much on where Clavarino is currently rated but this article was interesting.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-17/the-plan-b-for-clubs-that-miss-out-on-jake-lever

Whilst I'm a massive fan of Naughton, something about Clavarino really hints to him becoming a star.

Where do you think he will go Knightmare ? And do you think he would suit our needs?

I don't reckon he's for us simply because he lacks pace. We already have guys like Dunn, Langdon and Shaz. He wouldn't fit our list balance well. Good player though.

Back