Game Day 2017 National Draft

The OP for our new picks must be accurate and informative. Who should do it?

• Anyone

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Wait for TD

Votes: 71 64.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Which key forwards do you think project as having AFL careers? I know Balta is one key position player you like. If we were to recruit him would you develop him as a forward?

Brander is the other that is highly rated and looks okay. But he seems more of a roaming centre half forward to me and I question whether he compliments Moore very well. Plus he seems okay without projecting as dominant. Would Westhoff be a fair comparison?

It seems that our 36 is looking a stretch for Petty. I'd like to trade into the late teens to ensure we get him. He's my favourite key defender in the draft. Balta and Petty would be two very good talls to regenerate our spine with when you add McLarty too.

A lot of it comes down to favoured position.

Balta, Brander and Ballenden are all good key forwards. Toby Wooller also is another.

The issue with each of these is a debatable best position. Balta can play any of the 18 positions. Brander many favour as a key defender. Ballenden while played forward a lot in the NEAFL I favour down back. Then Wooller while a mostly key forward can also play through the mids as a genuine ball winning mid.

Of that group, Balta is my choice as a key forward, and that's where I can see him reaching his greatest heights potentially. He has the right mix of talent with the athleticism but then also the marking capabilities and serious talent at ground level. Only if things don't work as a key forward would I start exploring an alternative position.

Brander I feel similarly of. He isn't dominant and I'm feeling as enthusiastic as I should about someone who may slip into the top 5 on draft day. He's not the endurance athlete Westhoff is and doesn't have to play as high up the field, but if things go right, Ben Reid may be a rough developmental vision for him. Be it forward or back. Down back, like Reid he can intercept and kick but isn't a great stopper. Up forward, he works hard and presents an option but isn't such a dominant commanding marking presence or a freakish talent.

Petty I'm a big wrap for as my bio may suggest if you've read it, and if not, then you've got a great eye for liking him also. I haven't heard much on his draft position, but he might be one who rises closer to the draft. He is one who hasn't had a lot of junior exposure, but has been seriously good in pretty much every game he has played. There isn't an area to his game that troubles me. I really like what he offers, and I'd love an early second round pick or late first round choice to get him with.

If you said any key forward. Balta is my guy. Any key defender. I like Ballenden at his ruck height and size and intercepting so naturally, but Petty would be that next choice for me and one I'd feel very comfortable selecting.

Might even need pick 12 for him now.
Fas kicked 5 goals a couple of times. Therefore we should get pick 13 for him.

He might get them pick 18 alone now, but that’s about it.

Fas kicked 5 goals a couple of times. Therefore we should get pick 13 for him.

He might get them pick 18 alone now, but that’s about it.

Not getting that one myself. Motlop is vastly more proven than Cameron and offers more, IMO, but forgetting his FA status the Cats sure as s**t aren't getting a top 20 pick for him. Would like though myself. His repeat sprint numbers are elite for a guy that's questioned as much as he is! Last night for instance he covered the most ground of any player at high speed.

If you take SM you have to manage him very carefully and expect 1 in 4 games that he is rested because of chronic groin strains. It's another Daniel Wells situation but in terms of "is he a good clubman" he's a ripper! Having Varcs, Wells and SM at the club certainly wouldn't be a bad thing for young Kirby either.

If you take SM you have to manage him very carefully and expect 1 in 4 games that he is rested because of chronic groin strains. It's another Daniel Wells situation but in terms of "is he a good clubman" he's a ripper! Having Varcs, Wells and SM at the club certainly wouldn't be a bad thing for young Kirby either.
I'd take Motlop, despite the risks. As a trio Wells. Varcoe and Motlop would cure our pace and skill issues - if we could get them on the park together.

A lot of it comes down to favoured position.

Balta, Brander and Ballenden are all good key forwards. Toby Wooller also is another.

The issue with each of these is a debatable best position. Balta can play any of the 18 positions. Brander many favour as a key defender. Ballenden while played forward a lot in the NEAFL I favour down back. Then Wooller while a mostly key forward can also play through the mids as a genuine ball winning mid.

Of that group, Balta is my choice as a key forward, and that's where I can see him reaching his greatest heights potentially. He has the right mix of talent with the athleticism but then also the marking capabilities and serious talent at ground level. Only if things don't work as a key forward would I start exploring an alternative position.

Brander I feel similarly of. He isn't dominant and I'm feeling as enthusiastic as I should about someone who may slip into the top 5 on draft day. He's not the endurance athlete Westhoff is and doesn't have to play as high up the field, but if things go right, Ben Reid may be a rough developmental vision for him. Be it forward or back. Down back, like Reid he can intercept and kick but isn't a great stopper. Up forward, he works hard and presents an option but isn't such a dominant commanding marking presence or a freakish talent.

Petty I'm a big wrap for as my bio may suggest if you've read it, and if not, then you've got a great eye for liking him also. I haven't heard much on his draft position, but he might be one who rises closer to the draft. He is one who hasn't had a lot of junior exposure, but has been seriously good in pretty much every game he has played. There isn't an area to his game that troubles me. I really like what he offers, and I'd love an early second round pick or late first round choice to get him with.

If you said any key forward. Balta is my guy. Any key defender. I like Ballenden at his ruck height and size and intercepting so naturally, but Petty would be that next choice for me and one I'd feel very comfortable selecting.
Knighmare, going back to a post I made on the Trade thread, what do you think about offering our first pick next year (considered a "super draft") for 2 first rounders this year if a team was willing to do the swap?
- would allow us to draft a number of the options above to increase our chances of success and immediate address concerns at both ends of the ground
- I'm thinking we'll prob finish mid-table next year so a trade of the pick might have value (I'm always nervous of hanging onto a pick just bc of future gold...esp when it's possible to select a player that doesnt come on just as we did in the 01 draft )

Knighmare, going back to a post I made on the Trade thread, what do you think about offering our first pick next year (considered a "super draft") for 2 first rounders this year if a team was willing to do the swap?
- would allow us to draft a number of the options above to increase our chances of success and immediate address concerns at both ends of the ground
- I'm thinking we'll prob finish mid-table next year so a trade of the pick might have value (I'm always nervous of hanging onto a pick just bc of future gold...esp when it's possible to select a player that doesnt come on just as we did in the 01 draft )
Pretty sure KM has been pretty vocal about not trading away 2018 firsts.

Great a total of 30 games total a season from them and 2 mill salary cap space . Excellent

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Totally understand that point of view, but despite rumours to the contrary I'm going with the theory that surely we don't have salary cap issues in the short term, thus I don't really care what we pay them as long as we don't lock them in for too long.

I also believe that our lack of pace and run is a bigger more pressing need than KPP. So my theory is get Motlop. If he, Wells and Varcoe can stay fit it will offer a short term solution to our line breaking pace and skill issues, without impacting our ability to draft future longer term solutions to this issue and key position issue. Despite it being less than likely to work, due to their fragile bodies, it's still a lot more likely than a draftee being able to solve the issue in the short term, and it doesn't impact the likelihood of us getting a longer term draftee. If we can get those 3 fit and in form, we're comfortably in the 8.

I'm never keen to label any draft as a "super draft" until hindsight. There are some top end options next year who would get selected ahead of this years, and probably more depth, but you have people hyping up the following year more each year and it rarely works out the way things are projecting a year out.

I don't feel any urgency to be active in the first round this year. If I could have some picks this year, I'd be fine with some second round picks to gain some underrated talls personally. And maybe that happens from Collingwood moving their first round choice back some choices to do.

I don't see this year as the year the key forward needs are answered through the draft, or necessarily can be answered, but it may be the year a couple of key defenders or a key defender and something else for the long term can be found. Even if my preferred selection Noah Balta is chosen, he is so versatile, he could settle anywhere and fit into a clubs plans, a bit like Jon Marsh when he was at the club (noting he is now a big bodied ball winning mid now), any way you want him to.

Overall, I'd prioritise getting a top 1-3 selection in 2018 over gaining other/more first round choices. Jack Lukosius is too special and the 15 year franchise key forward answer who Moore can compliment. Then some key defenders can be gained in the second round this year if Collingwood can get a choice or two in that range.

Two first round picks for one in theory sounds good, and it's not a bad move, but I think more advantageous is moving pick 6 down to some pick where the club is confident they can still draft Noah Balta (this may be a pick 8-17), then acquire a pick somewhere in the second round and select a key defender. That way key position needs are met this year and there is the flexibility to be active however the clubs wishes to be in the 2018 offseason.

I don't feel any urgency to be active in the first round this year. If I could have some picks this year, I'd be fine with some second round picks to gain some underrated talls personally. And maybe that happens from Collingwood moving their first round choice back some choices to do.
Thanks for the detailed response

Will be interesting to see what happens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd take Motlop in a heartbeat as a FA!
He's a small forward, who would he play in front of? I want Kirby & Daicos to play from round one...so our small forwards are Elliot, Fas, Kirby and Daicos, baring fitness issues they are my starting smalls next year.

He's a small forward, who would he play in front of? I want Kirby & Daicos to play from round one...so our small forwards are Elliot, Fas, Kirby and Daicos, baring fitness issues they are my starting smalls next year.
Motlop can play a range of roles. For us, you'd earmark him to give us much needed line breaking run out of defence.

I'm never keen to label any draft as a "super draft" until hindsight. There are some top end options next year who would get selected ahead of this years, and probably more depth, but you have people hyping up the following year more each year and it rarely works out the way things are projecting a year out.

I don't see this year as the year the key forward needs are answered through the draft, or necessarily can be answered, but it may be the year a couple of key defenders or a key defender and something else for the long term can be found. Even if my preferred selection Noah Balta is chosen, he is so versatile, he could settle anywhere and fit into a clubs plans, a bit like Jon Marsh when he was at the club (noting he is now a big bodied ball winning mid now), any way you want him to.

Overall, I'd prioritise getting a top 1-3 selection in 2018 over gaining other/more first round choices. Jack Lukosius is too special and the 15 year franchise key forward answer who Moore can compliment. Then some key defenders can be gained in the second round this year if Collingwood can get a choice or two in that range.

Two first round picks for one in theory sounds good, and it's not a bad move, but I think more advantageous is moving pick 6 down to some pick where the club is confident they can still draft Noah Balta (this may be a pick 8-17), then acquire a pick somewhere in the second round and select a key defender. That way key position needs are met this year and there is the flexibility to be active however the clubs wishes to be in the 2018 offseason.
Hawks first pick is 32. Do you think they would consider trading pick 32 and their 2018 first round for Pick 6?

I'd then look to package 32 and 36 to get into the first round. Take 2 in the draft and upgrade a rookie.

Hawks first pick is 32. Do you think they would consider trading pick 32 and their 2018 first round for Pick 6?

I'd then look to package 32 and 36 to get into the first round. Take 2 in the draft and upgrade a rookie.

I don't expect Hawthorn would trade their 2018 first round pick for pick 6.

Hawthorn probably finish lower in 2018 (consider the age of the core of their better players). And with the 2018 draft having better top end talents. They're smart enough not to trade that pick. It could be a pick that equates to Lukosius, Rankine or M.King next year.

When we look at the Dogs winning the Premiership last year and the tiges a chance to do the same this year, are kpf as important as we think they are?

NB. Most of Boyd's good moments up forward in last final's campaign actually came when he slipped forward as the ruckman, rather than when he was stationed forward.

Who are you looking forward to watching in the TAC cup GF and who do you think will win? Knightmare

I favour Geelong Falcons, they run 15 deep as opposed to the 10 deep Sandringham go, but the match could go either way. Geelong have a strong midfield but then also several outside runners and capable small forwards. Sandringham by contrast have a long list of exceptional key position players and also from a skill perspective are strong with several players who can move and use the ball.

From a Pies context, Matthew Ling (Geelong - 19) is one to watch with interest. He probably goes somewhere early second round. This year, he's the most explosive outside runner in the draft and if he gets the opportunity, he can go full Isaac Smith on you.

Max (61) and Ben King (70) from Sandringham (2018 eligible) are two key position players I also find interesting from a Collingwood perspective.

There could be 20 players drafted from this game, so it's worth watching and/or listening for reviews on.

I favour Geelong Falcons, they run 15 deep as opposed to the 10 deep Sandringham go, but the match could go either way. Geelong have a strong midfield but then also several outside runners and capable small forwards. Sandringham by contrast have a long list of exceptional key position players and also from a skill perspective are strong with several players who can move and use the ball.

From a Pies context, Matthew Ling (Geelong - 19) is one to watch with interest. He probably goes somewhere early second round. This year, he's the most explosive outside runner in the draft and if he gets the opportunity, he can go full Isaac Smith on you.

Max (61) and Ben King (70) from Sandringham (2018 eligible) are two key position players I also find interesting from a Collingwood perspective.

There could be 20 players drafted from this game, so it's worth watching and/or listening for reviews on.
Have had my eye on Ling, definitely notice him most times I have watched Geelong play. Has some serious speed on him.

Rumours going around we quite like Nathan Murphy, I'm looking forward to seeing him play as I haven't seen anything yet as he's been injured. I'm also a fan of Coffield, think he'd be a good fit for a general defender in our backline. Doubt we draft him though. King twins are always exciting to watch, I really liked Ben King's game last week, he was fantastic down back I thought.

Already got it ready to go on foxtel. Hopefully a close one.

Anyone know what is the intent of Jonathan Marsh this trade/draft season? Does he want to get back into an AFL club? Does he want to stay in WA?

Really really disappointed in how that turned out for us - found a gem, and had to let him go for nothing.

Back