Game Day 2017 National Draft

The OP for our new picks must be accurate and informative. Who should do it?

• Anyone

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Wait for TD

Votes: 71 64.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

With his height and athleticism he's perfect for key defence and last time I checked lock down defenders are still pretty important in modern football.

Also any bloke above 190cm who can intercept, run 20m and kick 60m will find a spot in any modern gameplan regardless of his decision-making, awareness etc.

You're probably right, I'm just passing on what I've been told about why he isn't a lock for top 10 and may not even go in the top 20 - hard to believe when you view his highlights package.

Just finished watching, excellent game. The big ruckman is never a certainty to kick right infront, poor fella.

Miers obviously BOG and capped off an excellent year, he'll move up the draft order. I would be interested in him.

Owens had a cracking last quarter kicking 3 and got sandy back in the game. Haven't heard anything about him.

A. Brayshaw is definitely going top 5. Carlton should pick him at 3 imo.

Liked the look of Will Walker earlier in the season and thought he was good at time, faded in and out. Smooth mover with good skills, came from soccer so has plenty of improvement in him.

Nathan Murphy who we are apparently keen on struggles coming back from injury. Played back up until the last quarter and got a little bit more involved.

Just finished watching, excellent game. The big ruckman is never a certainty to kick right infront, poor fella.

Miers obviously BOG and capped off an excellent year, he'll move up the draft order. I would be interested in him.

Owens had a cracking last quarter kicking 3 and got sandy back in the game. Haven't heard anything about him.

A. Brayshaw is definitely going top 5. Carlton should pick him at 3 imo.

Liked the look of Will Walker earlier in the season and thought he was good at time, faded in and out. Smooth mover with good skills, came from soccer so has plenty of improvement in him.

Nathan Murphy who we are apparently keen on struggles coming back from injury. Played back up until the last quarter and got a little bit more involved.
Miers jumoing up is a good thing but I would touch him.. Is good from the attacking side but forward pressure lacks.. Wouldnt touch him early..

Miers jumoing up is a good thing but I would touch him.. Is good from the attacking side but forward pressure lacks.. Wouldnt touch him early..
I don't think he will go early. Probably second round onwards. He's is more offensive forward, but he does create pressure. Probably not exactly what we need, but it would be good to have some more goal kicking power up forward.

Hey Snoop Dog and Knightmare what do you consider the draft ranges of Balta, Petty and Coffield to be?

Are there any decent small forwards that could be added late? I think of the value Fantasia and Castagna have provided and would like to see us target some late or in the rookie.

Sorry been a bit tardy getting back to you bud;

Balta - 5 to 15

Am a huge fan. for some reason people seem to want to talk him down but i think his performances particularly late in year were fantastic. he has demonstrated an ability to go forward and back. if he is back he reads it well and can intercept. if forward he uses the same skill to hurt teams. He has a penetrating and effective kick as well.

Where - Pies should seriously consider at 6.

Petty - 17 to 30

Again am a big fan. I thought the club erred last year on not taking Brennan Cox but am happy to stand corrected as also rated McClarty. Petty is another Cox. Like Cox he is a defender at heart. He is a bit old school and a bit more dour than say a Balta. His first instinct is to defend and his body work to do so is A grade. He will intercept mark when the time is right and he is a very good contested mark. He can also pull the trigger on his rebound and his ball use is good.

Where - I am hopeful Collingwood can trade into a pick somewhere around the 20 mark which I think lands him.

Coffield - 4 to 8

All class this kid. Watched him a lot and just think he oozes class. He has so much upside in him its ridiculous.

Where - If Pies could get a pick in the 20's and land a Petty / Clarivino / Allen then I would seriously look at using pick 6 on him. personally I think Fremantle will take him.

It seems to me there are a lot of highly rated key and small defenders this year. But not a lot of highly rated key and small forwards. Do the defenders look better because they don't have quality forwards to defend? Or vice versa?

Sorry mate I should have responded to that as well.

I actually think this year the small forwards are reasonably plentiful. Key forwards there are a few but history says they rarely come from outside top 20 so that makes it hard for Wooller, McLean, Krueger, CCJ (?) to be players to get overly excited about. Re small forwards though can see all of these going;

Higgins - standout player

Miers - standout and had him around 20 since champs.

Spargo - kicking an issue but he will go 25-40. Terrier.

L.Fogarty - plays mid but he will be a small forward at AFL level.

Moore - Like Fogarty plays as much mid but at AFL level he will be a small forward.

Daniels - they need to settle him as a forward. he will go late but could be a gem

Thompson - had a good year at Oakleigh and had some terrific moments. Can play defensive.

Penrtih - Could bracket back or forward. Got some issues to fix but would think gets a spot in rookie at least.

Ryan - He has improved this year and he will go

Narrier - Another WAFL players who will be in mix for late national or rookie.

Schloithe - Liek Ryan a WAFL player and would be surprised if doesnt go. Will play small at AFL level.

Giro - Plays mid at junior level but v smart around goals and think someone might take as a small forward.

As far as defenders go Garner, OBrien, Richards, Ling, Paton, McPherson, Patmore and Stoddart all go for me as smaller defenders.

I'm with Snoop though...would love another pick around 20. I reckon it opens us up to be a bit more attacking with pick 6 and not necessarily have to take a 'needs based selection'. We can go best available knowing we'll get a good defender at 20.

At the moment though, I feel like we need to be a bit needs based with our pick 6.

I'm with Snoop though...would love another pick around 20. I reckon it opens us up to be a bit more attacking with pick 6 and not necessarily have to take a 'needs based selection'. We can go best available knowing we'll get a good defender at 20.

At the moment though, I feel like we need to be a bit needs based with our pick 6.

Hoping to get a bit of mail in the next couple of weeks around strategy going into trade season but wont be surprised (or upset) if they trade back pick 6 to get a couple in the teens or bring that 36 up.

I could see them swapping 6 for Richmonds teen picks. Yeah you lose access to COffield / Stephenson / Brander but maybe the club are keener to get two in the teens they rate just as highly eg Balta and Naughton. Both those boys are talented and could immediately fix your key tall deficiency.

Could also trade a player (eg Broomhead) and improve that pick 36 and get into the 20's and land a Miers / Murphy / Fogarty / Obrien type. Would Gold Coast swap pick 24 for 36 & broomhead....not sure but thats kind of what you want to do.

Hoping to get a bit of mail in the next couple of weeks around strategy going into trade season but wont be surprised (or upset) if they trade back pick 6 to get a couple in the teens or bring that 36 up.

I could see them swapping 6 for Richmonds teen picks. Yeah you lose access to COffield / Stephenson / Brander but maybe the club are keener to get two in the teens they rate just as highly eg Balta and Naughton. Both those boys are talented and could immediately fix your key tall deficiency.

Could also trade a player (eg Broomhead) and improve that pick 36 and get into the 20's and land a Miers / Murphy / Fogarty / Obrien type. Would Gold Coast swap pick 24 for 36 & broomhead....not sure but thats kind of what you want to do.

GCS would do it in a flash. IMO that is unders for Broomhead who is OK and still young, with upside. Next year make or break.

Last edited:
Been in the system a long time though but if they offered that up I would be done.

It won't happen. The only youngish mids from Collingwood's they'd be interested in are JDG and Maynard . Broomhead just doesn't win enough footy to add value to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won't happen. The only youngish mids from Collingwood's they'd be interested in are JDG and Maynard . Broomhead just doesn't win enough footy to add value to them.

Or maybe they see that he does win a lot of footy at VFL level and they believe they can get that to translate to senior level so they would be keen.

Or maybe they see that he does win a lot of footy at VFL level and they believe they can get that to translate to senior level so they would be keen.

Would you give 24 for 36 and Schoenfeld? It just isn't a smart move on their behalf given they already have 5 selections before 36. If I were them and I thought his VFL form could translate I'd push for 51/52 from Geelong in the Ablett deal and offer us that because they won't use anything beyond 33 anyway.

I'm not sure both have a point. On one hand you look at them trading for Hallahan off back of VFL form and it was a fail. At least with Lyons he had shown something with the crows and was further progressed than where Broomhead is.

On the hand the Suns have a heap of picks and with the likelihood of Matera and possibly one or two more they will have a heap of picks so might be keen to get someone in for one of them.

Would you give 24 for 36 and Schoenfeld? It just isn't a smart move on their behalf given they already have 5 selections before 36. If I were them and I thought his VFL form could translate I'd push for 51/52 from Geelong in the Ablett deal and offer us that because they won't use anything beyond 33 anyway.

I don't know enough about Schoenfeld so don't have an opinion.

I wasn't suggesting that they would do the deal, just highlighting that how they value any particular player will be determined by a myriad of reasons.

I'd actually prefer to keep Broomy. I'm also uncertain how active GCS will be through the trade period unless we see a coaching appointment in the interim.

Broomhead wont get us a bag of chips, we are going to have to come up with something better than that
Love your avatar name.

Always makes me think of Graham Kennedy and Ugly Dave Grey and their gag,

"Why don't you use your finger like everyone else"

I'm not sure both have a point. On one hand you look at them trading for Hallahan off back of VFL form and it was a fail. At least with Lyons he had shown something with the crows and was further progressed than where Broomhead is.

On the hand the Suns have a heap of picks and with the likelihood of Matera and possibly one or two more they will have a heap of picks so might be keen to get someone in for one of them.
Completely agree, GC want players and good ones at that, they have learnt from picking up duds and Broomhead comes into that catagory. They would want De Goey or Maynard and I'm pretty sure they have inquired about Sidebottom because Collingwood asked the Question about 2 metre Peter

Assuming we can bring our pick 36 into the early 20s, it looks fairly certain we'll have to make some decisions on draft night. We certainly won't be getting both Coffield and Balta, unless some big trade moves happen (here's hoping).

Based on who we're talking about on Bigfooty (obviously I have no access to the minds of our recruitment team), if we take pick 6 to the draft and manage to get another in the early 20s, which combination would you prefer?

Pick 6 - Balta, Coffield, Stephenson, Fogarty

Pick 23ish - Murphy, Clavarino, Petty, Richards

For me, I think Coffield seems like too classy a player to pass at pick 6. Seems like he'd be a great player to have running through the midfield week in week out. Without knowing too much about the others, Clavarino or Petty would be my picks next. To take a classy ball user and a KPD would be a good outcome. Would mean we can leave Reid forward, maybe even swing Howe forward more often, as McLarty and our selection here come in. Hopefully next year we can pick up a KPF though.

Assuming we can bring our pick 36 into the early 20s, it looks fairly certain we'll have to make some decisions on draft night. We certainly won't be getting both Coffield and Balta, unless some big trade moves happen (here's hoping).

Based on who we're talking about on Bigfooty (obviously I have no access to the minds of our recruitment team), if we take pick 6 to the draft and manage to get another in the early 20s, which combination would you prefer?

For me, I think Coffield seems like too classy a player to pass at pick 6. Seems like he'd be a great player to have running through the midfield week in week out. Without knowing too much about the others, Clavarino or Petty would be my picks next. To take a classy ball user and a KPD would be a good outcome. Would mean we can leave Reid forward, maybe even swing Howe forward more often, as McLarty and our selection here come in. Hopefully next year we can pick up a KPF though.

Mate I totally agree. I think we need to be looking at managing/building the list over the next 2-3 years rather than 1 year. If that means pushing out on a KPP with the first pick for next year in order to get a silky great ball user, then that's what they should do with pick 6.

I really like this move. I think it's a draft where we can set up our whole defence for the next 10 years. It's still a part of our list that needs some good defenders developing. I would be looking at getting another pick in the 20's so we can get the Petty and Clavarino double. I'm also keen at Balta or Coffield at 6. Got a feeling Coffield will be taken before our pick though.

Completely agree, GC want players and good ones at that, they have learnt from picking up duds and Broomhead comes into that catagory. They would want De Goey or Maynard and I'm pretty sure they have inquired about Sidebottom because Collingwood asked the Question about 2 metre Peter

That they'd want DeGoey and Maynard was never really in doubt. I'm sure they'd happily take Moore and Grundy as well.

The question is whether they'd have any interest in the Broomhead, Smith and Greenwood types, even as short term stop-gaps, and what would they be willing to pay. They've got 6 picks in the ND up to pick 37 so they'll get a massive influx of new talent. How much coverage do they need to allow those guys to mature.

I really like this move. I think it's a draft where we can set up our whole defence for the next 10 years. It's still a part of our list that needs some good defenders developing. I would be looking at getting another pick in the 20's so we can get the Petty and Clavarino double. I'm also keen at Balta or Coffield at 6. Got a feeling Coffield will be taken before our pick though.
If we miss on Coffield, select Balta at 6 and have two selections in the 20s, who do we take? Both Petty and Clavarino if available? Or would you pick the preference of the two then hope for an Ed Richards or someone else for variety.

I like that we have McLarty waiting to come in next season. He lessens the absolute dire straits situation we're in for KPP players just a touch.

That said, we don't really need mids unless there's a lightning quick 6'2" outside runner with a fantastic boot available. Maybe this is where Nathan Murphy comes in. Gee Hine likes his elite dual-sport types come to think of it.

Back