NFL 2017 - NFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Chad Kelly will be better than Jim Kelly

I love your unbridled optimism LicoriceAllsorts for all things Denver, I really do :thumbsu:

But NO he won't be better than his Uncle. \_0_/

Jim Kelly was not that far behind your Demi God, John Elway as a QB and young Chad won't come with in a "bulls raw" of being as good as either of the fore mentioned.
Kelly was a five time Pro Bowler and its funny how history remembers him, had he played in one ore two winning Super Bowls I am sure he would be ranked much higher than he is by the general public, the same thing could be said about Dan Marino.

Being an Old Fart I watched Kelly's career and he was one heck if a QB.
If young Chad gets to be half as good as his Uncle he will have done well.

You're welcome to that opinion but you don't give up a second round pick for a depth player. If the Pats play a 43 front, it'll be Flowers - Branch - Brown - Ealy. Then again, you could be right and it could be Lawrence Guy but for now, I've penciled him in as a starting DE.
You didn't give up a second rounder. You traded back 9 spots in the draft for Kony Ealym

I love your unbridled optimism LicoriceAllsorts for all things Denver, I really do :thumbsu:

Jim Kelly was not that far behind your Demi God, John Elway as a QB and young Chad won't come with in a "bulls raw" of being as good as either of the fore mentioned.
Kelly was a five time Pro Bowler and its funny how history remembers him, had he played in one ore two winning Super Bowls I am sure he would be ranked much higher than he is by the general public, the same thing could be said about Dan Marino.

I was joking

One correction to your post....

Jim Kelly WAS better than Elway ;)

I was joking

How good do you think he'll be? Love Jim (too young to have seen him play but Four Falls of Buffalo made me a fan), I want to see him do well but people love to hate him for some reason.

Oregon was a college football powerhouse not long ago. They didn't have a single player drafted this year.

Crazy hey. I remember 2013 when I was getting into the sport they were awesome, De'Anthony Thomas and Mariota. Shame that Thomas has ended up having a s**t career, was an exciting dude

How good do you think he'll be? Love Jim (too young to have seen him play but Four Falls of Buffalo made me a fan), I want to see him do well but people love to hate him for some reason.
No idea, I don't follow college football. He is apparently very talented but a flog. So no telling what he could be if he pulls his head in (?)

Could be the best QB in the league, could be out of the league in 2 years. No one really knows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this will pave a way for players who are projected as 1st round picks to skip more bowl games in the future. (Obviously excluding the championship game and playoff games).

I get the sense more players who are happy with their body of work will skip these bowl games, which let's face it are glorified meaningless exhibition games. It's not worth the injury risk.

Although contrary to that, you could argue Solomon Thomas was picked 3rd because of his dominant sun bowl vs north Carolina. He was projected mid 1st rd before that game.

It's an interesting debate, but I would 100% side with players who, if it's their preference to sit, then sit. They haven't made $1 in college...no need to jeopardize potentially millions for a game that means nothing.

Ok draft thoughts for the 49ers:

- You can't stop the run so you get the best run stopping defensive lineman in the draft and fleece the Bears in the process. Not sure how Armstead, Buckner, Blair etc will all fit together in the front 4 but that's why I sell information technology for a living and Lynch and Shanahan don't.
- The 49ers needed a starter in the linebacking corp and they got the best one in the draft. Absolute boom or bust pick but when your talent is as bad as the 49ers have been then you can't afford to always be cautious and go with the cleanskin.
- Witherspoon has all the tools, limited experience shows he is still learning the game but he has improved every year. Knock on him is he is not a big fan of tackling, I can live with that if he doesn't let the WR catch the ball first.
- Lynch (OK this is all Shanahan) picked a QB that I must admit I know very little about. He projects as a long term backup with spot starting capability....I'm good with that, why waste a pick on a development QB with little chance of being the FQB especially with either Cousins or a rookie in a much better 2018 draft class available next year.
- Joe Williams (as long as he doesn't decide to retire again) has the chance to be Hyde's backup. Shanahan's know how to get the best out of who dat running backs like no other. Hope the fire burns bright in this kid.
- Kittle (TE) and Taylor (WR) have a chance to compete for a roster spot and will probably go past some of the veterans they are competing against. The 49ers were actively shopping Vance McDonald and his inflated salary during the draft (the last of the Baalke personnel decisions - awarding this underachiever a lucrative contract extension in a middle of a 2-14 season.....gee things have changed quickly for the franchise). Taylor reminds me of Tweeter from Varsity Blues without the STDs.
- Probably my favourite pick in the entire draft is D.J. Jones....I always cheer for the fat guy especially one that 1) fills an area of need 2) has athletic ability and 3) will see the back of Mike Purcell from an NFL roster.
- Pita Taumoepenu....mandatory selection of a player whose name fans and broadcasters alike will mispronouce during the entire preseason schedule. Only true passrusher the 49ers took a punt on which just shows how many holes they have and that they couldn't fill them all with early picks.
- I know nothing (and noone else seemed to either) about the CB, Adrian Colbert the team took in the 7th....however, the 49ers need more competition at the position in training camp so I get this pick.

Overall, the 49ers had more needs than picks. Couple that with what was available when they picked and I think the 49ers did a great job taking the first step in injecting talent into the roster. True No 1 receiver, Premier passrusher, franchise QB and more offensive line depth would be nice but let's be real, the team needed all of the Browns picks too to accomplish that. I'm also convinced the 49ers did not see their franchise QB in this draft. I am glad they didn't take ofensive line depth since there was noone available to draft when they picked in order of priority that was better than what they already had.

Let's not forget the 49ers banked an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick for 2018 and still have a tonne of cap space for 2018.

They are well set up to secure that franchise QB, blue chip passrusher, No 1 WR and more offensive line starters next year. This was never a one year turn around for this franchise and I can rationalise the moves (both in the draft and free agency) as a solid foundation step for the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back