NFL 2017 NFL Pre-Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you think that?

I did some reading after I asked that question, there seems to be big concerns around how well he reads coverages and accuracy overall (30 INTs over the last two seasons). I'm pretty new to the NFL but I imagine if it's a concern against College level defence then it doesn't really seem like he'd be able to make it work as a pro.

I did some reading after I asked that question, there seems to be big concerns around how well he reads coverages and accuracy overall (30 INTs over the last two seasons). I'm pretty new to the NFL but I imagine if it's a concern against College level defence then it doesn't really seem like he'd be able to make it work as a pro.

Watson's inaccuracy may hurt him yes, but I don't see that being that relevant to his traits as a runner or a guy who likes to scramble. Watson has thrown interceptions from the pocket in college football, he'll most likely throw interceptions from the pocket in the NFL, all QBs have. QBs who run the football can lower their interception rate because they're passing the ball less. Cam Newton does a fair bit of read option stuff and he's a fine QB.

For me what makes a QB more likely to be intercepted at NFL level isn't so much whether they do read option or not, there are plenty of bad QBs who don't do that often. It's more things like his throwing mechanics and decision making which will be put under more pressure in an NFL environment. Reading coverages is an issue even for pocket passers, heck, it's an issue for every QB, it's a fundamental skill every QB has to have.

There are good and bad QBs who who run option plays and move out of the pocket. There are also good and bad pocket traditional QBs.

I don't see either dying out unless the college system finds itself unable to produce either type after a few years and teams give up on that style. There is talk that the college game is getting worse at developing NFL caliber QBs, I don't know if that's chatter or not, but I think the college game will continue to produce traditional pocket passers and more mobile guys, so I don't see the mobile QB dying out.

I don't see either dying out unless the college system finds itself unable to produce either type after a few years and teams give up on that style. There is talk that the college game is getting worse at developing NFL caliber QBs, I don't know if that's chatter or not, but I think the college game will continue to produce traditional pocket passers and more mobile guys, so I don't see the mobile QB dying out.
Now I really had no college focus except the past few years , and from what I see on here, but my thoughts are that there is now more expectation on results now rather than allowing rookie QBs to develop within a system. Its why Garropolo is now seen as a good stable choice for many teams because he has been allowed to develop while waiting for Brady. Whether he is or isn't good enough will only be found out later, but it certainly wont be blamed on college football because he is far enough removed to not be noticed.

Watson's inaccuracy may hurt him yes, but I don't see that being that relevant to his traits as a runner or a guy who likes to scramble. Watson has thrown interceptions from the pocket in college football, he'll most likely throw interceptions from the pocket in the NFL, all QBs have. QBs who run the football can lower their interception rate because they're passing the ball less. Cam Newton does a fair bit of read option stuff and he's a fine QB.

For me what makes a QB more likely to be intercepted at NFL level isn't so much whether they do read option or not, there are plenty of bad QBs who don't do that often. It's more things like his throwing mechanics and decision making which will be put under more pressure in an NFL environment. Reading coverages is an issue even for pocket passers, heck, it's an issue for every QB, it's a fundamental skill every QB has to have.

There are good and bad QBs who who run option plays and move out of the pocket. There are also good and bad pocket traditional QBs.

Yes, every QB will throw INTs but 17 in his last season of College isn't something that will inspire confidence on draft day, Championship or not.

I guess it's just a matter of wait and see.

Below is the draft order of non playoff teams.

1. Cleveland
2. San fransisco
3. Chicago
4. Jacksonville
5. Tennessee (from LA rams)
6. New york jets
7. Los Angeles chargers
8. Carolina
9. Cincinatti
10. Buffalo
11. New orleans
12. Cleveland (from Philly)
13. Arizona
14. Philadelphia (from minnesota)
15. Indianapolis
16. Baltimore
17. Washington
18. Tennessee
19. Tampa bay
20. Denver
21. Detroit
22. Miami
23. New York Giants
24. Oakland
25. Houston
26. Seattle
27. Kansas City
28. Dallas

Updated draft order of division eliminated teams

Interestingly jameis winston threw 18 picks in his final season (granted he was a sophmore with one less season) .

In their last two seasons their stats are similair..

Winston 65 tds 28 int with a 66% completiom rate.

Watson 76 tds 30 int with a 67% completion rate

With both qbs winning a national championship against a top tier sec defense..

Winston has a bigger frame for the nfl...but still in terms of performance...pretty similair.

Ill be stunned if watson doesnt go top 10

Now I really had no college focus except the past few years , and from what I see on here, but my thoughts are that there is now more expectation on results now rather than allowing rookie QBs to develop within a system.

You mean NFL or college?

Its why Garropolo is now seen as a good stable choice for many teams because he has been allowed to develop while waiting for Brady. Whether he is or isn't good enough will only be found out later, but it certainly wont be blamed on college football because he is far enough removed to not be noticed.

It's possible there are guys who need to sit, but some QBs benefit from immediate play.

Two issues which often come up are:

1. College football isn't preparing players for the kind of game the NFL is, the difference in speed is vast, the styles of offenses are different, but I'm not sure if this is more of a thing than in the past

2. Guys are jumping into the NFL too early, and if they're drafted early they're not sat. They don't have the experience or polish to be success in the NFL, but again I'm not sure if this is more of a thing than in the past

Of course all of this could reverse and we could see a bumper crop coming up. I don't know enough about college football to say if this is a legitimate concern or if we're all panicking.

Yes, every QB will throw INTs but 17 in his last season of College isn't something that will inspire confidence on draft day, Championship or not.

I guess it's just a matter of wait and see.

Not sure you can blame his mobility and read option stuff for that though. My point is whether or not Watson throws too many picks, it isn't the read options which is causing it, like Buzzasto DaSilva claims.

Just on TD-interception rates, players in college and the NFL also throw interceptable passes, passes which would be picked off if the defence was decent. You have to look at that as well as interceptions, because if a guy is making completions that would be picks in the NFL, then his completion rate is a bit of a lie. I'd like to see Watson's interceptable pass rate and compare it to Winston (and of course all the other QBs in this draft).

Last edited:
You mean NFL or college?
NFL

2. Guys are jumping into the NFL too early, and if they're drafted early they're not sat. They don't have the experience or polish to be success in the NFL, but again I'm not sure if this is more of a thing than in the past
Which is what I thought I said , but in a more convoluted way :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly jameis winston threw 18 picks in his final season (granted he was a sophmore with one less season) .

In their last two seasons their stats are similair..

Winston 65 tds 28 int with a 66% completiom rate.

Watson 76 tds 30 int with a 67% completion rate

With both qbs winning a national championship against a top tier sec defense..

Winston has a bigger frame for the nfl...but still in terms of performance...pretty similair.

Ill be stunned if watson doesnt go top 10
It's hard to understand the intangibles and specific analytics that scouts look for- particularly when you post reasonable comparisons like the one above.

I've read similar profiles detailing that Watson is unlikely to be picked within for the first three rounds.

The best QB prospect by a mile in the draft for me, hasn't even declared and that's Josh Allen from Wyoming.

It's hard to understand the intangibles and specific analytics that scouts look for- particularly when you post reasonable comparisons like the one above.

I've read similar profiles detailing that Watson is unlikely to be picked within for the first three rounds.

The best QB prospect by a mile in the draft for me, hasn't even declared and that's Josh Allen from Wyoming.

Agree with the allen call.

He announced late last week hes staying in school..boon for the 2018 draft.

I know a lot of analysists don't think he's worth a pick in the first 2-3 rounds, but surely someone will jump in the first three rounds? A lot of teams with QB problems. Usually around 3-7 get picked in the first three rounds.

As someone who doesn't watch college football, I'm curious, what do you think sets Allen apart from the pack?

I know a lot of analysists don't think he's worth a pick in the first 2-3 rounds, but surely someone will jump in the first three rounds? A lot of teams with QB problems. Usually around 3-7 get picked in the first three rounds.

As someone who doesn't watch college football, I'm curious, what do you think sets Allen apart from the pack?

I watched every Wyoming game this year and he is best described as a "Joe Flacco clone" with the ability to make the impossible pass. Coming from a small school with a makeshift OL, he will adapt better to a weak team as he hasn't been given a dream ride by a prime OL (ie; Alabama, Michigan) and he knows how to move in the pocket and hit C-grade receivers. With that, he is excellent in poor conditions (like Flacco)- which Northern teams will love as he is not disadvantaged Luke many SEC or PAC12 QB's are when it snows or rains. He is very tall and has excellent lateral movement within the pocket, but it's his arm that sets him apart. Some of the throws he attempts and makes are simply dumbfounding and it's his ability to lead a team on a drive and make throw after throw over the secondary which I loved. By the same token, he can try the miracle ball rather than a high percentage dump and that gets him into a lot of trouble. That's why I'm really happy he's returning to Wyoming for another year, as he's only played a single season if college football (he was a CC transfer who missed 2015 with injury) and he will learn when to give up on a play rather than forcing something that isn't there- which is his biggest weakness at the moment. Once he shows that he can cut down on the turnovers and take a higher-percentage option when in trouble, he will jump up the 2018 draft order.

Also, his coaching staff are the same group that found and developed Carson Wentz, so I think he will definitely reach his potential.

Interesting top 50 from daniel jerrimiah.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2017-nfl-draft

Hopefully a good guide for people who want a brief run down of top propspects.

There's quite a few surprises in that list, and you'd have to wonder how many prosects he's still got to evaluate. Forrest Lamp at 16 is a complete surprise and interestingly Dan Feeney doesn't get a mention. I'd guess his top 50 will change a lot over the next few months.

There's quite a few surprises in that list, and you'd have to wonder how many prosects he's still got to evaluate. Forrest Lamp at 16 is a complete surprise and interestingly Dan Feeney doesn't get a mention. I'd guess his top 50 will change a lot over the next few months.

Yeh agree definitely a few surprises.

I also like the centre/guard ethan pocic from lsu. I think hes one of the safer interior lineman in the draft..early day 2 pick not in top 50.

Looking at some of the polarisong players in the draft..( apart from the qbs)..it looks like people are torn on the corner - tabor from florida. Some have him as top 10, other scouts see him as the 8th or 9th best corner in the draft. Looking firward to seeing where he goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back