NFL 2017 NFL Pre-Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Corey Davis is the best WR in this class. I'd take him @8 for the Panthers if they don't do something in FA at the WR position.
I'm a Williams fan

I am a much bigger fan of going RB in the later rounds, but Fournette could be too hard to pass up

Yeah I think that's very likely. I'm hoping Fournette goes before 8.

Lets play hypothetical for the moment.

Lets says the panthers pass on fournette, then fournette turns out to be adrian peterson level talent and production for 7 or 8 years..

Do you regret not taking him?

Lets says the panthers pass on fournette, then fournette turns out to be adrian peterson level talent and production for 7 or 8 years..

That depends on who we drafted instead of him and how we play in those 7 to 8 years. He's a talent and if we take him I'm not going to cry myself to sleep over it but I'd prefer to take Defense with pick 8 but I'd take a WR over a RB @ 8 too.

That depends on who we drafted instead of him and how we play in those 7 to 8 years. He's a talent and if we take him I'm not going to cry myself to sleep over it but I'd prefer to take Defense with pick 8 but I'd take a WR over a RB @ 8 too.
Panthers have a still very talented (and plenty of mileage in those underutilized legs) Jonathan Stewart. They can pick up a complimentary RB in the latter rounds. But the Panthers need to slam-dunk the early rounds with defensive players.

Panthers have a still very talented (and plenty of mileage in those underutilized legs) Jonathan Stewart. They can pick up a complimentary RB in the latter rounds. But the Panthers need to slam-dunk the early rounds with defensive players.

I've got little confidence in Stewart just because he is injured so often. He is a damn good back when fit though. We need to find his replacement in this draft. I'm all for loading up on defense in this draft. I think our GM has a better eye for defensive players too. Try and bolster the O-Line in FA and maybe find a Safety, TE and WR in FA too.

I've got little confidence in Stewart just because he is injured so often. He is a damn good back when fit though. We need to find his replacement in this draft. I'm all for loading up on defense in this draft. I think our GM has a better eye for defensive players too. Try and bolster the O-Line in FA and maybe find a Safety, TE and WR in FA too.

Your SB year was brought to you via the defense. It was smoking hot. Then your GM lost his way a bit. Now your D is in trouble. A star RB like Elliot say....only if you don't have anyone at all. But Stewart is still fine, so all you need there is a mid-late round RB or FA RB to bolster the position. So instead of throwing away a high pick on a potential star RB, but then struggling to find gem defensive players now they start going off the board. Better imo to bolster the RB position in FA, and two home-run defensive picks can drastically alter your D....such that you'd be back in SB contention. Whereas the other way....you'd have to win the FA dollar war picking up defensive FA stars.

Your SB year was brought to you via the defense. It was smoking hot. Then your GM lost his way a bit. Now your D is in trouble. A star RB like Elliot say....only if you don't have anyone at all. But Stewart is still fine, so all you need there is a mid-late round RB or FA RB to bolster the position. So instead of throwing away a high pick on a potential star RB, but then struggling to find gem defensive players now they start going off the board. Better imo to bolster the RB position in FA, and two home-run defensive picks can drastically alter your D....such that you'd be back in SB contention. Whereas the other way....you'd have to win the FA dollar war picking up defensive FA stars.

We had a top rated offense that year thanks to a red hot Cam Newton IIRC.

Definitely

AD has carried Minn for years and they have been bereft of talent. Carolina has a SB caliber (or thereabouts) team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely

AD has carried Minn for years and they have been bereft of talent. Carolina has a SB caliber (or thereabouts) team
Super Bowls played in with Adrian Peterson = 0
You could also cite some other big names like LdT, etc.
It's all about talent on D. Sure, run game....but that can be with a "by committee" approach or some unheralded vets or mid-late drafted RBs.

Super Bowls played in with Adrian Peterson = 0
You could also cite some other big names like LdT, etc.
It's all about talent on D. Sure, run game....but that can be with a "by committee" approach or some unheralded vets or mid-late drafted RBs.
SD should have made a SB at least, but they were appallingly managed

Vikings had nothing outside of AD, so think it's not a great comparison. What I am saying is that if AD can drag Vikes to Playoffs multiple times, then imagine what his clone could do for Carolina.

SD should have made a SB at least, but they were appallingly managed

Vikings had nothing outside of AD, so think it's not a great comparison. What I am saying is that if AD can drag Vikes to Playoffs multiple times, then imagine what his clone could do for Carolina.
The problem with AP is that he is a one dimensional back. He's inneffective as a receiver and he never learnt how to block. The likes of AP are the current dinosaurs of the game and will never be drafted high again. AP is, at best, a complementary back in the modern game.

The problem with AP is that he is a one dimensional back. He's inneffective as a receiver and he never learnt how to block. The likes of AP are the current dinosaurs of the game and will never be drafted high again. AP is, at best, a complementary back in the modern game.
I agree to an extent, but personally I think versatility is currently overrated.

I think for a power running team like Panthers he is a great fit and would do exceptionally well

I also think that if AD was asked to block from early on he would be great at it. His work ethic is excellent

Really? I'd always take the RB. WR's are like the icing on the cake.

Name star RBs (who carried their teams too) which never or seldom equated to playoffs or super bowl wins.

Not just in the last decade, but even far back when the passing game wasn't so dominant.

So many names.
And then name star RB's which equated to playoff or Super Bowl wins

c56c17b33f2f2fb71a9457289ab61b85.jpg

Name star RBs (who carried their teams too) which never or seldom equated to playoffs or super bowl wins.

Not just in the last decade, but even far back when the passing game wasn't so dominant.

So many names.
Name a WR who carried a team?
Moss
TO
Calvin
Fitz

Only experienced any sort of success with an All Pro QB at the helm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back