NFL 2017 NFL Pre-Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

14-of-16 NFL scouts polled by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel named Alabama's O.J. Howard this year's top draft-eligible tight end.

Howard crushed the field, as Miami's David Njoku finished a distant second with just one first-place vote and Ole Miss WR/TE Evan Engram garnered the final first-place vote. The Journal-Sentinel used a "points" system based on the scouts' 1-5 rankings. That "points" system resulted in Howard at No. 1, Njoku at No. 2, Engram at No. 3, South Alabama's Gerald Everett at No. 4, and injured Jake Butt of Michigan at No. 5 among draft-eligible tight ends.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Washington's John Ross garnered 6-of-16 first-place votes from NFL scouts polled on this year's top wide receiver prospect.

He got more first-place votes than Western Michigan's Corey Davis (5 1/2) and Clemson's Mike Williams (4 1/2), although Davis emerged as the No. 1 "points" getter in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's poll, which used scouts' rankings and not just first-place votes. The points system placed East Carolina's Zay Jones at a distant fourth in this year's wideout class, and USC's JuJu Smith-Schuster at fifth. Eastern Washington's Cooper Kupp finished sixth, Ohio State's Curtis Samuel seventh, and Texas A&M's Josh Reynolds came in eighth. "It's the worst wide receiver class I've seen in a long time," said one NFC executive.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
This beggars belief.

So let me get this straight they :

Trade away the # 2 pick last year to pass on Wentz only to use the # 1 pick this year to pass on Garrett to take Trubisky because they cocked it up last year.

Going forward how good would having picked up Wentz last year and Garrett this year be looking for their rebuild.
:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

I doubt they finish last had they picked wentz. I think he may have won them 3 games or so.

Had they taken wentz I don't think they are able to get garrett.

Unless they redshirt ed wentz for a year

I doubt they finish last had they picked wentz. I think he may have won them 3 games or so.

Had they taken wentz I don't think they are able to get garrett.

Unless they redshirt ed wentz for a year

That may well be the case catters078 I do take your point, however my comments are more a reflection on the thought process that drives their drafting.

If they don't take Garrett with the # 1 pick this year, I will be scratching my head again and thinking WTF.

Jesus H Cleveland!

-------

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, North Carolina QB Mitchell Trubisky is still "under serious consideration" by the Browns for the first overall pick in next week's draft.

There's little question that Texas A&M Myles Garrett is the most talented player in this year's draft, but the Browns need to weigh that against their need for a franchise quarterback. If the Browns pass on Trubisky with the first pick, it's unlikely he'd be available when they pick again at No. 12. The front office reportedly favors taking Trubisky first overall while the coaching staff is dead-set on Garrett. It will be fascinating to see this tug of war play out over the next five days.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
Biggest smoke screen ever

Why would the team with the #1 pick smokescreen? There's nothing to gain from it. Especially when all the QBs (who normally entice teams to trade up for them that high) are all s**t compared to previous years QB class. So they're not trying to convince another team to trade a hundred picks for the rights to Trubisky when he isn't even worth a top 10 pick, and!, when Garrett is so entrenched as a clear #1 pick (like Luck was in his year).

The truth could be as shocking as just that -- that the Browns are a facepalm of an organization under Jimmy Haslam. Who personally insisted they draft Manziel with a first round pick (traded up for him no less) because a homeless guy convinced him to draft him. Haslam and his non-football-background front office meddling with the coaches more trained scouting eyes. So much dysfunction in that organization.

Teams normally just announce the #1 pick a week before time when it's so obvious the consensus #1 pick. But the Browns are still debating and throwing cream pies at each other.

Trubisky paying $7 on Sportsbet to be taken #1

Now it makes sense cunning plan by the Browns I must say.
What a good way to establish some juicy odds and recoup the 37 million guaranteed on Osweiler's contract.

Those number cruncher guys are doing a good job for Jimmy Haslam.... They lay a few bets.

Jimmy gets his money back for trading in BO and Brock's short but lucrative top up at the "Pilot Flying J Truck Stop" AKA the Cleveland Browns nets him a lazy 37 million.

Nice one......... good business all round.

Jimmy gets the QB he apparently wants.
He also gets his money back from the BO trade and picks up a second rounder for next year.
BO picks up his guaranteed 37 million and gets the hell out of Cleveland to seek an opportunity for another lucrative contract at an other QB desperate team.

Meanwhile his agent just rang said QB desperate team to secure BO's next jig ...
The New York Jets.

Last edited:
6-of-16 NFL scouts polled by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel voted Clemson's Deshaun Watson this year's top draft-eligible quarterback.

5-of-16 personnel men polled named Patrick Mahomes this year's top signal caller, while Mitchell Trubisky garnered four first-place votes and DeShone Kizer received the final nod. In the Journal-Sentinel's "points" system based on the scouts' rankings, Cal's Davis Webb came in fifth, Pittsburgh's Nate Peterman finished sixth, Iowa's C.J. Beathard came in seventh, and Virginia Tech's Jerod Evans placed eighth. "I really don’t like any of them," one longtime executive said. "Maybe two will go in the first round because of need but they all have holes. It’s, like, ‘Let’s see if we can develop them and get something out of them.’ It’s one of the worst groups I’ve watched in a long time."

Apr 23 - 4:01 PM

According to Bleacher Report's Jason Cole, the 49ers (No. 2), Titans (No. 5), Jets (No. 6) and Bills (No. 10) have all made calls about moving down in the first round.

Meanwhile the Browns, who can't seem to choose between Myles Garrett and Mitchell Trubisky, are looking to trade up from No. 12. The Browns can potentially get both players by moving up, though they'd have to come up with a pretty enticing trade package to accomplish that. In a draft with few sure things, we're sure to see a few trades go down before Thursday.
Related: 49ers, Titans, Bills, Jets

Source: Jason Cole on Twitter
Apr 23 - 11:00 AM

9-of-16 scouts polled by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel named Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer this year's draft-eligible quarterback likeliest to bust.

Patrick Mahomes received two likeliest-to-bust votes, Mitchell Trubisky and Deshaun Watson each got one, and one scout declined to comment. The final two scouts said all of the quarterbacks were equally risky. Kizer looked like a potential No. 1 overall pick after his sophomore year, but he temporarily got benched last year as the bottom fell out on Notre Dame's season. "He’s not as good as he should be because he’s not committed to the game," one AFC executive said of Kizer. "He’s committed to building a brand. He wants all the things that come with being a starting quarterback but doesn’t want to put in the work." Added one NFC personnel man, "(Selfishness and money are) what drives him. It's all about him. Prima donna. Thin-skinned."

Apr 23 - 4:07 PM

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of busts....

-------

Speaking on his "Real GM" show, The Ringer's Mike Lombardi said he expects the Jaguars to draft a quarterback.

"[Tom] Coughlin’s going to draft a quarterback," he said. "This is the perfect draft to do it." Lombardi went on to say the Jaguars need to admit their "mistake" and move on from Blake Bortles. "[GM] Dave Caldwell was always looking through rose-colored glasses," Lombardi said of Bortles. "Coughlin doesn’t have those glasses." The Jaguars are sure to decline Bortles' fifth-year option, making him a free agent at the end of the season.

Source: Florida Times Union
Apr 23 - 9:34 AM

It's just the media trying to create stories and getting some views in the lead up to the draft. Crazy thing is, people actually believe it. Some people have even been tweeting at the team, they've taken it that seriously!

11-of-16 NFL scouts polled by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel voted Texas A&M DE Myles Garrett the 2017 draft's top player.

LSU S Jamal Adams (2), Alabama LB Reuben Foster (1), Stanford DL Solomon Thomas (1), and Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon (1) split the remaining votes. When the scouts voted on the top pass rusher in the draft, Garrett again led the way with 12-of-16 mentions, while Alabama OLB Tim Williams drew two and aforementioned Thomas got the final two. We continue to not buy pre-draft reports that the Browns are considering taking Mitchell Trubisky over Garrett at No. 1 overall.

Apr 23 - 5:39 PM

Speaking of busts....

-------

Speaking on his "Real GM" show, The Ringer's Mike Lombardi said he expects the Jaguars to draft a quarterback.

"[Tom] Coughlin’s going to draft a quarterback," he said. "This is the perfect draft to do it." Lombardi went on to say the Jaguars need to admit their "mistake" and move on from Blake Bortles. "[GM] Dave Caldwell was always looking through rose-colored glasses," Lombardi said of Bortles. "Coughlin doesn’t have those glasses." The Jaguars are sure to decline Bortles' fifth-year option, making him a free agent at the end of the season.

Source: Florida Times Union
Apr 23 - 9:34 AM

Wouldn't the Jags be better off drafting either Fournette or Howard and then see how Bortles goes? If he busts they do not take up 5th year option and grab a QB next year. Why risk getting a risky QB this draft and forego a very good RB or TE?

Why would the team with the #1 pick smokescreen? There's nothing to gain from it. Especially when all the QBs (who normally entice teams to trade up for them that high) are all s**t compared to previous years QB class. So they're not trying to convince another team to trade a hundred picks for the rights to Trubisky when he isn't even worth a top 10 pick, and!, when Garrett is so entrenched as a clear #1 pick (like Luck was in his year).

The truth could be as shocking as just that -- that the Browns are a facepalm of an organization under Jimmy Haslam. Who personally insisted they draft Manziel with a first round pick (traded up for him no less) because a homeless guy convinced him to draft him. Haslam and his non-football-background front office meddling with the coaches more trained scouting eyes. So much dysfunction in that organization.

Teams normally just announce the #1 pick a week before time when it's so obvious the consensus #1 pick. But the Browns are still debating and throwing cream pies at each other.
I would think that San Fran are perpetuating this rumour in the hopes that it increases the demand for the #2

She is just trying to sell papers

Maybe they're also trying to increase the value of other QB's and highlighting that if Trubisky is there at 12 that they will take him in an effort to force people to move into the top 10 to take him and Watson which will force other blue chip prospects to fall

McCaffrey has told teams he wants to be a Bronco. With Panthers likely to take him at 8, and with the Broncos needing help elsewhere first I can't see Elway making moves higher than 8 to snag him first.

McCaffrey has told teams he wants to be a Bronco. With Panthers likely to take him at 8, and with the Broncos needing help elsewhere first I can't see Elway making moves higher than 8 to snag him first.
I hope that's true, but doubt it

She is just trying to sell papers

Maybe they're also trying to increase the value of other QB's and highlighting that if Trubisky is there at 12 that they will take him in an effort to force people to move into the top 10 to take him and Watson which will force other blue chip prospects to fall

But doing that also increases the value of a draft pick that the Browns want to trade up to to get Trubisky! By touting him so highly as potential #1 then a team at say 7 will now demand far more because the Browns are so desperate

But doing that also increases the value of a draft pick that the Browns want to trade up to to get Trubisky! By touting him so highly as potential #1 then a team at say 7 will now demand far more because the Browns are so desperate
But what if they don't rate him or any of them and are trying to ensure as many are taken early as possible so they get a Lattimore or Hooker?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back