NFL 2017 NFL Pre-Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Off topic...Have you ever had to defend a person in court you believed was guilty? How did you proceed --- turn the case over to someone else, or, continue to defend?

Sorry don't take that the wrong way, just curious about that dynamic. Especially if the crime was more heinous than a traffic offense etc.

I was on the other side at the start of my career...I prosecuted. Most of the defense cases I take are the DUI type offenses and usually just to keep my skills sharp. I do civil litigation these days and it is not the same.

To answer your question, if I did 100% defense work, I don't know where I would draw my personal line. I guess my fundamental core belief is that IF the police do their job right, IF the prosecutor does his/her job right, it doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot how great I am as an attorney. When those folks s**t the bed on their job, it opens the door for defense attorneys.

My gut says I would steer clear of sexual offenses unless I absolutely 100% believed my client was an innocent man/woman.

ESPN's Todd McShay has heard the Panthers could select Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey with the No. 8 overall pick "even if LSU's Leonard Fournette is still on the board."

McShay notes McCaffrey could help fill the Panthers' need at running back as well as slot receiver, and current WRs coach Lance Taylor was McCaffrey's position coach in college. Either way, it is clear the Panthers are seriously considering adding a running back in the first round, and they seem certain to add a rusher early in the draft. Jonathan Stewart's days as the clear lead back seem to be at an end.
Related: Panthers, Leonard Fournette

Source: ESPN
Apr 25 - 12:12 PM

Ohio State CB Gareon Conley has been accused of rape by a Cleveland woman, but adamantly denies the allegations.

Source: TMZ.com
Apr 25 - 1:27 PM

Think all that should be said at this point is its a Buckeye.

Wow that's the worst timing for Conley, find it hard to believe given all I have read is scouts raving about how much of a high character guy he is. But you can't take someone high in the first with this hanging over his head. Would have been in play for the Eagles at 14, wonder what they do now.

I was on the other side at the start of my career...I prosecuted. Most of the defense cases I take are the DUI type offenses and usually just to keep my skills sharp. I do civil litigation these days and it is not the same.

AmericanCrow currently in discovery proceedings preparing civil case of City of Cleveland v Cleveland Browns for causing undue hardship, misery and anguish.

Ohio State CB Gareon Conley has been accused of rape by a Cleveland woman, but adamantly denies the allegations.

So is it Conley or Hooker or are they two seperate incidents?

Short comment on the allegations: I wonder if there is some gamesmanship going on with some of these allegations? ie false/spurious to create a level of uncertainty etc

Only gamesmanship going on was the CPD taking its sweet time writing up the initial police report.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any Redskin news? I have heard McCaffrey may be in play for Washington at 17 still. (noting GGs snippet above)

I don't think McCaffrey makes it past 15 so I'd be very surprised he'd be an option for Washington

Source: TMZ.com
Apr 25 - 1:27 PM
1 tweet naming Hooker and GGs second post naming Conley. Unless one is the other

1 tweet naming Hooker and GGs second post naming Conley. Unless one is the other

I wonder if Hooker will comtemplate suing the person who mentioned him in the tweet

A bit more detail including what the witnesses said

https://www.tmz.com/2017/04/25/nfl-prospect-gareon-conley-accused-of-rape-denies-allegations/
Gareon Conley -- a projected 1st round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft -- has been named in a police report by a woman who claims he raped her in a Cleveland hotel but he adamantly DENIES the allegations.

The 21-year-old was a superstar cornerback at Ohio State University and draft experts say he could be taken as high as #10 in the draft on Thursday.

But according to a police report filed in Cleveland, and obtained by TMZ Sports, a 23-year-old white female told police Conley violated her in a hotel suite bathroom at a Westin hotel on April 9.

According to the report, the accuser says she met Conley in a hotel elevator around 3AM and brought her back to his hotel room. She claims Conley asked her to have a foursome with another friend of his and a woman. The accuser says she declined and offered to watch the other couple have sex in the hotel room bathroom instead.

A short time later, the woman says Conley unbuttoned her pants and began to have sex with her. She claims she said, "No, stop, it hurts!" but he kept going until he finished. She says Conley then kicked her out of the hotel room.

The woman called 911 and described her assailant as a "black male who wouldn't take his sunglasses off and had an Ohio State tattoo on his left forearm."

The woman says she went to a local hospital where a rape kit was administered.

An officer tried to speak with the accuser at the hospital but she refused to do an interview. Instead, she told the cop she wanted to go home and "that her dignity was stripped from her in a matter of minutes." She refused to speak to cops after that.

As for Conley, two of his friends who were in the hotel room were interviewed by police and told cops Conley never hooked up with the woman and that she was just mad that she got kicked out of the room.

One of Conley's friends said the two had been lying on the bed together "but nothing happened."

Conley was not in the room when police arrived and his friends said they did not know where he went.

Conley's attorney spoke with Cleveland19 and denied the allegations calling the accusations "ludicrous and ridiculous."

Cops are investigating but so far no arrests have been made and no charges have been filed.

We spoke with police who tell us the results from the rape kit are not in at this point. The sex crimes unit is now on the case.

People were guessing...he guessed poorly

And even more detail on the allegation

From https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...nley-accused-rape-no-charges-filed/100888854/
The report states the woman met Conley while riding an elevator with her friends, and that she left them to join Conley in his room, where he allegedly asked the woman if she wanted to have sex with a couple that was in the bathroom.

According to the report, the woman told Conley “she wanted to watch the couple” with the intention “to try and avoid having sex with Conley all together.”

The report states that the woman and Conley eventually walked into the bathroom before Conley allegedly unbuttoned her pants and pulled them down. The woman alleges that Conley began to have sex with her, and that she told him “no stop, it hurts!”

The report states that Conley finished the sexual act and then kicked the accuser out of the room.

Which would explain Marshon Lattimore's tweet “So the first thing you say to a girl that you meet in the elevator is let’s have a foursome? Lol that doesn’t even make sense.” which has since been deleted

Imo it's guilty of Conley to leave the hotel room before the cops arrived while the others stayed back. Shows he was hiding/avoiding something. If he felt he didn't touch her at all he wouldn't run. Also rape kit would prove she had intercourse that night and time frame. If Conley denies even touching her, then that would again show him to be lying.

Imo it's guilty of Conley to leave the hotel room before the cops arrived while the others stayed back. Shows he was hiding/avoiding something. If he felt he didn't touch her at all he wouldn't run. Also rape kit would prove she had intercourse that night and time frame. If Conley denies even touching her, then that would again show him to be lying.

Maybe he didn't know she was accusing him of rape at that point? She may have just left and then without his knowledge gone to the hospital and called police. By the same token you can question why she has refused to talk to police about what happened.

Maybe he didn't know she was accusing him of rape at that point? She may have just left and then without his knowledge gone to the hospital and called police. By the same token you can question why she has refused to talk to police about what happened.
Bottom line what the rape kit says. All Conley had to say (if he really raped her) was it was consensual because you know how that exonerates the guilty far too often. But he fled and said no touching which will clearly either exonerate him or make him guilty. He fled because he knows he raped her. Anyway you know my stance, convict all accused and then price innocence layer with rape....Because far too often the burden of overwhelming proof exonerates like %95 of the truly guilty, if not more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back