NFL 2017 NFL Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Relaxed celebration rules clear about what’s legal, NFL head of officiating says

Posted by Charean Williams on July 14, 2017, 3:37 PM EDT

630232816.jpg

Getty Images

Ezekiel Elliott still will get penalized for leaping into the Salvation Army kettle, but the Packers can feel free to have the entire offense do the Lambeau Leap. The celebration rules are clear, the league’s head of officiating said Friday, regarding what actions will result in a 15-yard penalty.

“Extremely clear, yes,” Alberto Riveron, the league’s senior vice president of officiating, said during the annual NFL Officiating Clinic in Irving, Texas. “We have plenty of film to show them; we have plenty of training videos that they will see that they have already seen. There is no gray area when it comes to that.”

Based on feedback from players, the NFL announced in May it was relaxing rules on celebrations. Players now can use the football as a prop after a touchdown; they can go to the ground; and they are allowed to have group celebrations.

“We have a lot fewer actions that are going to be penalties, and we’ll be able to focus on those and not have to worry about all the other ones,” NFL referee Carl Cheffers said.

But it isn’t anything goes. Prolonged celebrations, taunting and dunking over the goal post are among actions still banned and subject to a 15-yard penalty.

“There are some boundary lines that have been put in as far things they can’t do,” referee Walt Coleman said. “Things that are sexual suggestive. Things like a throat slash, shooting a bow and arrow. Things along that line that are violent and so forth. Those have been illegal. They are still illegal. . . . They can’t use other things as a prop. Those are still illegal like picking up the pylon and using it for a putter. They still can’t dunk the ball over the goal post. [The Salvation Army kettle] is a prop, so you won’t be able to jump in the kettle. Basically we’re going to watch what they do and let them celebrate, and if it gets excessive in length of time, then we’ll have to decide, but I’m not sure we know exactly what that length of time is.

“We know players are out there thinking up what they’re going to do, so it should be interesting and entertaining.”

Coleman is curious to see the reaction from defensive players, remembering George Teague’s response to Terrell Owens’ celebration on the star in Texas Stadium in 2000 when Owens scored for the 49ers against the Cowboys.

“Here in Dallas, obviously they know all about how they break up celebrations when they run to the middle of the field,” Coleman said with a chuckle. “So we’ve kind of come full circle as far as we stopped them from doing all that because people were breaking up the celebrations, and we were creating fights and things that weren’t very good presentation-wise for the National Football League. So now we’ve kind of come back around with the cooperation with the players and so forth, and they have asked to put some of the fun back in the league. So I think that’s what we’re going to try to do. So It’ll be interesting to see how it happens, because we have come full circle as far as where they could do it, then we got more and more they couldn’t do it, and now we’re back to allowing them to do some of the celebrations. The defensive players they don’t think it’s entertaining, so it’ll be interesting.”

According to Bleacher Report's Jason Cole, two NFL general managers believe a team will place a "HUGE" roster bonus into an offer sheet for Kirk Cousins in 2018 if the Redskins slap him with the transition tag next year.

Cousins is not expected to sign a long-term deal by Monday's deadline for franchise players to do so, and the belief is the Skins may tag him in some manner again next offseason. A third consecutive franchise tag would cost $34.5 million, but a transition tag would be cheaper and, of course, less binding. If Cousins is transition tagged in 2018, interested teams would be able to make him contract offers that severely restrict Washington's ability to match with huge early-deal roster bonuses. The 49ers are a team capable of constructing such a deal. San Francisco has a ton of cap space, a huge quarterback need, and Kyle Shanahan's connection to Cousins.
Related: 49ers

Source: Jason Cole on Twitter
Jul 13 - 11:55 PM

i saw something saying the 9ers will have like $100M in cap room next season.

They're in a strong position to get back to making super bowls very quickly, so soon after a debacle of a couple seasons. Team to watch imo.

Not going to win with a Shanahan coaching them. might make one with the right roster but wont win.

His dad is good at good at coaching super bowls
he was a great coach in the 90's. but his later years in Denver and then at Washington were not that good.

Holmgren was a better coach and produced many other head coaches from his staff. and was still good in Seattle for the most part turning them into a playoff team. But was a useless executive but that might be just that its impossible to be good at anything for the Browns.

Would have also loved to see Terrell Davis on that 2005 team.

Would have been nearing the end and not as good, but still the best playoff running back of all time.

Spread his 8 playoff games into a 16 game season and you have:

2,280 yards, 24 TD's, 5.6 YPC, 4 rings (in one season yes)

Hang on a second. I don't have numbers on me, but in terms of playoff RBs, what about Marcus Allen, John Riggins, Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas? They possibly (!! not sure !!) had better playoff stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang on a second. I don't have numbers on me, but in terms of playoff RBs, what about Marcus Allen, John Riggins, Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas? They possibly (!! not sure !!) had better playoff stats.
Per game playoff stats

Davis: 142.5 yds, 1.5 TD's, 5.6 YPC

Allen: 84.2 yds, 0.7 TD's, 5.0 YPC

Riggins: 110.7 yds, 1.3 TD's, 4.0 YPC

Smith: 93.3 yds, 1.2 TD's, 4.5 YPC

Thomas: 68.7 yds, 0.8 TD's, 4.3 YPC

Riggins was good too, but was getting a lot more carries

The Gazette's Woody Paige reports John Elway "is about to become the league's highest-paid executive vice president-general manager."

Elway's contract runs out after this season. Paige reports the deal "could be finalized" this week and should be announced before training camp begins July 27. The Denver Post's Nicki Jhabvala reports "no deal is imminent," however, while Denver 7's Troy Renck reports the two sides "still have work to do." Whether it is this week or in a month, there is little doubt Elway will sign a new deal in the near future.

Source: The Gazette

The anti-Kaepernick agenda across the league is ridiculous.

-------------

Johnny Manziel hoping, working for NFL comeback

Posted by Charean Williams on July 15, 2017, 5:38 PM EDT

502626068-e1500154689967.jpg

Getty Images

The odds of Johnny Manziel getting a second chance in the NFL remain long. Yet, despite having not played since 2015, the former Heisman Trophy winner apparently is drawing more interest than Colin Kaepernick.

Manziel said Saturday he has had a couple of conversations with NFL teams about a comeback. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported in March that Manziel had breakfast with Saints coach Sean Payton at the Super Bowl to discuss a return.

I know the situation that I put myself in,” Manziel said from the fantasy football convention in Dallas, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “I know the year I took off and obviously the mistakes that I made. Right now, I’m hopeful. I’m really hopeful. I think that I made some progress in that regard. But we’ll see. Whenever I get a call, I’ll do whatever I can to make the most of it.”

The former first-round pick played two seasons for the Browns, going 2-6 while completing 57 percent of his passes for 1,675 yards with seven touchdowns and seven interceptions. He received a four-game suspension for violation of the substance-abuse policy last summer but sat out last season as a free agent after his release from the Browns.

Manziel, though, has stayed out the news, while working out, in hopes of convincing an NFL team he’s worthy of a second chance.

“I think the thing I realized over the past year and the thing I realized from being away from it is really how much you miss it,” Manziel said. “That’s all I’ve known for so long. It’s what I love to do. It’s hard. It’s hard sitting here going through OTA time and going through summer time and then getting ready to go through fall camp and not being part of it. But at the same time, I’m really optimistic and hopeful that I’ll get another chance. That’s really what I’m holding out for every day.”

He had a down year as GM last year. Let's see how he bounces back or if he has another bad year.
Did he? He drafted a potential franchise QB, helped handle a QB controversy as perfectly as possible, locked up Von Miller probably for life, rebooted a talented team by virtually cleaning out the coaching staff, replaced the best defensive co-ordinators (approaching the end) with an extremely similar and highly touted understudy, improved the offensive coaching staff tenfold.

Did you expect him to make an impact on two or three plays (on field) that would have turned us from 9-7 to 11-5? Can GM's go that?

“The first two games I did, actually some of my bosses there at CBS told me, ‘You know, we don't need to be quite that harsh,’” Romo said. “So I think that part of it I probably have to find a fine line, because the standard for playing this game is just, it's high. And to win and win a championship or to get there, I never got a chance to obtain that, and that's something that I'll always regret. But at the same time, I understand what it takes to be kind of good. Getting yourself in position to make the playoffs is hard, then to win games there. And to do it like how Tom Brady does is astronomical; [it] doesn't compute to most of the players because you're trying to win one...that's the standard. It's those players. The Tom Bradys, the Peyton Mannings. That's what you're evaluating. And now I have to understand that and come back to that and know that there's certain things that are easier for some than others and just talk about it.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...nges-angles-in-offseason-football-preparation

Sounds like Romo will be a good caller, so happy Simms has been taken out of the booth and sent into the studio.

I wonder how critical Romo was on some of the players, hearing him bash players when calling games would be great, too many callers are too soft on stupid mistakes, like when a QB throws into triple coverage or throws blind across his body. Im actually looking forward to watching a CBS game now, but they still need to replace Nantz.

No team will ever sign Manziel. It's over Johnny, go ask your old man to increase your allowance.
Why not? What bridges has he burnt that nobody will give him a shot? Or is it based on having a year out?

I think the fact he has made the effort to stay out of the spotlight suggests he has made some progress. Is there another league ie Canada that he can play in to showcase his talent again?

*not trying to be argumentative , genuinely asking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back