NFL 2017 NFL - Week 9

Remove this Banner Ad

21-7

Buffalo (-9|+19) at New York Jets (+8|-19) = Buffalo (+16) - 5 +10.7 = Buffalo +21.7

Prediction: Buffalo 27-17

Atlanta (-6|-6) at Carolina (-5|-9) = Atlanta (+2.5) - 5 + 1.4 = Carolina +1.1

Prediction: Carolina 17-16

Baltimore (-13|+3) at Tennessee (-21|+22) = Tennessee (+15) + 5 - 3.6 = Tennessee +16.4

Prediction: Tennessee 27-19

Cincinnati (-22|+2) at Jacksonville (-24|+17) = Jacksonville (+26) + 5 +12.9 = Jacksonville +43.9

Prediction: Jacksonville 27-7

Denver (+8|-9) at Philadelphia (-5|-3) = Denver (+0.5) - 5 - 11.4 = Philadelphia + 15.9

Prediction: Philadelphia 24-12

Indianapolis (-5|-10) at Houston (+15|+16) = Houston (+36) + 5 - 2.1 = Houston +38.9

Prediction: Houston 44-16

Los Angeles Rams (+24|+17) at New York Giants (-11|-2) = Los Angeles (+41) - 5 + 0 = Los Angeles +36

Prediction: Los Angeles Rams 37-16

Tampa Bay (+15|-8) at New Orleans (+26|+3) = New Orleans (+16.5) + 5 + 4.3 = New Orleans +25.8

Prediction: New Orleans 34-20

Arizona (+9|-3) at San Francisco (-8|+1) = Arizona (+10.5) - 5 - 0.7 = Arizona +4.8

Prediction: Arizona 23-21

Washington (+4|+3) at Seattle (-8|+10) = Seattle (+0.5) + 5 + 6.4 = Seattle +11.9

Prediction: Seattle 26-19

Kansas City (+9|+3) at Dallas (+11|+26) = Dallas (+20) + 5 - 5.7 = Dallas +19.3

Prediction: Dallas 34-26

Oakland (-4|-15) at Miami (-9|-9) = Oakland (+2) - 5 - 1.4 = Miami +4.4

Prediction: Miami 16-15

Detroit (+4|-2) at Green Bay (+1|-11) = Detroit (+13.5) - 5 + 2.1 = Detroit +10.6

Prediction: Detroit 25-18

Goodell out the door soon? Fair to say the last few years have been a shambles for the League, how has he survived this far?

Jerry Jones among owners trying to halt Roger Goodell's extension

The Cowboys' Jerry Jones was a leading voice among 17 NFL owners on a conference call Thursday that discussed the possibility of halting commissioner Roger Goodell's pending contract extension, sources involved with the call told ESPN.

There is a growing difference of opinion among owners about Goodell's overall performance as commissioner, according to sources. The owners on Thursday's conference call are generally unhappy with Goodell and the NFL's front office for a variety of reasons, including the player protests staged during the national anthem, issues regarding the relocation of teams to Los Angeles and the league's handling of the Ray Rice domestic violence case, according to sources.

"You don't get to have this many messes over the years like Roger has had and survive it," one owner said during the call.

Despite the unhappiness, this group of owners is skeptical that it will be able to outright fire Goodell, according to sources. The NFL would need 24 owners to approve Goodell's ouster. But one person involved in this past week's conference call compared the NFL's current situation with Goodell to Major League Baseball's situation with Fay Vincent in September 1992, when baseball owners voted 18-9 to ask him to step down and replace him with Bud Selig.

"There is, and was, something that is an issue," said a league source who was not on the conference call and didn't learn about it until Saturday night. "I'd be very surprised about wanting to change Roger. I'd be shocked about that."

Yet for all the prominent people who do support Goodell, a contract that was expected to be completed in September has not been finalized as November approaches.

"Maybe Arthur [Blank, the head of the compensation committee] and that committee think they're on track," an owner said about Goodell's extension talks. "But they have a lot more resistance than they counted on -- and maybe they don't know how the resistance is growing as we speak."

Goodell and the league are at a critical juncture, and those around the NFL have said they can sense that. And this was before Texans owner Bob McNair was quoted in an ESPN The Magazine story saying, "We can't have the inmates running the prison," causing some Texans players to leave the facility on Friday. Sources said they are discussing the possibility of staging a demonstration for Sunday's game in Seattle. Texans left tackle Duane Brown told ESPN's Josina Anderson on Sunday morning that he anticipates "up to 65 to 70 percent" of the team's players could kneel.

"We just don't have enough problem solvers," another NFL owner said. "We gotta get it right or we're just going to let it burn. Last time I felt like this was before the 1993 CBA settlement. That was just depressing, and Paul Tagliabue and Gene [Upshaw] stepped up and saved it in a spectacular way. We don't have that feeling right now."

Seth Wickersham and Don Van Natta reported in their ESPN The Magazine story. It led owners to last week's conference call that detailed some of the issues they have with the league and Goodell.

"That was our recurring theme, that there's no leadership," said another executive familiar with Thursday's conference call. "Everyone [in the league office] is trying to win the latest news cycle, and there's no long-term vision. It's just, 'How can we minimize the bad headlines, maximize the revenue and move on to the next day?' And there's an increasing frustration to that approach."

McNair also expressed frustration with the league's leadership when he sought to clarify his "inmates" comment in a statement released Saturday.

"I was referring to the relationship between the league office and team owners and how they have been making significant strategic decisions affecting our league without adequate input from ownership over the past few years," McNair said in an excerpt from the statement.

Despite the criticism McNair has received for his comments, his statement put a prominent name to previous stories in which anonymous sources said there is unhappiness with the league office under Goodell's leadership, although he did not specifically name the commissioner in his statement.

Jones, asked after Sunday's Cowboys victory over the Redskins about last week's conference call, said, "Anything about the content of any of our meetings . . . I wouldn't get into nuances, I wouldn't get into the content." But he added that with regards to Goodell's contract, all owners were asked for their input, "and so this was a part of leaving there and continuing to do your homework."

Sources have previously said that Jones has tried to stand in the way of any extension for Goodell. Last month, ESPN reported that Jones was impeding the progress of contract negotiations aimed at an extension for Goodell. "If not for Jerry," one owner said last month in regard to the contract negotiations, "this deal would be done."

Blank, who is the point man for negotiations on Goodell's extension, said he invited Jones as an ad hoc committee adviser. Blank said there remains "details to complete" on the extension for Goodell's term, but he continues to express optimism.

A source said Blank was neither aware of nor invited to participate in last week's conference call, as was the case with at least three other owners contacted this weekend.

Sources declined to identify the specific teams represented on the call but pointed out that the number of participants was further proof of the growing unrest after the previous week's meetings in New York.

"There was good communication that we were going to have this next discussion ... it was an appointment among owners who have serious concerns, " one owner said. "Just because the league office isn't involved or certain other owners, that doesn't mean these things don't happen."

When asked whether the NFL is at the edge of a cliff with its mounting troubles and the uncertainty regarding the future of Goodell's commissionership, the owner countered that it was a "great opportunity."

"We're not on the edge of destruction," the owner said. "It's an opportunity. It creates real energy, and it creates a great opportunity to get our leadership right going forward. You watch. We will come out of this as a stronger league, and our popularity will come back and increase."

There was no firm appointment made for another call among the group, the owner added, but he said he had little doubt that the discussion would continue.

Jerry is just a salty campaigner because Rodger went after one of his players.

Whoever is the next commissioner will be just as bad.

Probably but Goodell's used by date expired ~ 2015. & someone needs to come in & find a resolution to player kneeling etc, this stuff will just continue to escalate under Goodell who clearly couldn't gaf.

Probably but Goodell's used by date expired ~ 2015. & someone needs to come in & find a resolution to player kneeling etc, this stuff will just continue to escalate under Goodell who clearly couldn't gaf.

He has done some good things, he has helped grow the NFL internationally. Without him we might not of had Gamepass the last 10 years.
He has done more bad things, not all were his fault. but as long as Demaurice Smith is the head of the PA [just got voted in for another term] we are heading to a lockout no matter who the commissioner is.

If he does get pushed out, whoever takes over will be set up to fail with TV contracts up in the next 5 years and CBA about to expire.

At least he does something unlike the NBA commish.

I do find it funny that such a owner friendly, anti player commissioner could get replaced because he pissed off Jerry. Its not even Kraft who is vocal about replacing him after the Brady/deflategate s**t.

Jerry is just a salty campaigner because Rodger went after one of his players.

Whoever is the next commissioner will be just as bad.

Lay off the Cowboy hate and every NFL football follower all over the world hates Goodell and at least JJ says what he thinks and tries to actually rectify things while your mob sits on its hands which it has always done and plays the sheeps role only campaigning for 10+ games at Lambeau every season.

Not everything is about the Packers!

He has done some good things, he has helped grow the NFL internationally. Without him we might not of had Gamepass the last 10 years.
He has done more bad things, not all were his fault. but as long as Demaurice Smith is the head of the PA [just got voted in for another term] we are heading to a lockout no matter who the commissioner is.

If he does get pushed out, whoever takes over will be set up to fail with TV contracts up in the next 5 years and CBA about to expire.

At least he does something unlike the NBA commish.

I do find it funny that such a owner friendly, anti player commissioner could get replaced because he pissed off Jerry. Its not even Kraft who is vocal about replacing him after the Brady/deflategate s**t.

Gee you are delusional and do you live in a bubble??

Gee you are delusional and do you live in a bubble??
of the 4 major american sports he is the least worst commissioner.
He is better than the head of the NCAA. and a good chunk of the NCAA conference commissioners.

Whoever takes over will be worse, Sure Goodell is about greed and extremely owner friendly.

Lay off the Cowboy hate and every NFL football follower all over the world hates Goodell and at least JJ says what he thinks and tries to actually rectify things while your mob sits on its hands which it has always done and plays the sheeps role only campaigning for 10+ games at Lambeau every season.

Not everything is about the Packers!

Ohh please, if it wasnt for Zeke and his attitude/actions towards women JJ wouldnt be pushing against Goodell.

Im just saying he could of done much much worse, I have been vocal about his f**k ups, but i dont think anyone else could of done the job much better with out pissing off the owners more.

of the 4 major american sports he is the least worst commissioner.
He is better than the head of the NCAA. and a good chunk of the NCAA conference commissioners.

Whoever takes over will be worse, Sure Goodell is about greed and extremely owner friendly.

Ohh please, if it wasnt for Zeke and his attitude/actions towards women JJ wouldnt be pushing against Goodell.

Im just saying he could of done much much worse, I have been vocal about his f**k ups, but i dont think anyone else could of done the job much better with out pissing off the owners more.

It is not just Zeke and I have always been an advocate of do the crime do the time but what exactly has a court found him guilty of???

Tiffany the ex girl friend is about as reliable as a Metro train in Melb and the courts dismissed her as being unreliable but Goodell who is judge , jury and executioner all in one sees it different and gets off suspending players.

Zeke has been found guilty of nothing by the courts and surely this aspect should be first and foremost before the opinion of a league director?

It is not just the Zeke case either and haters will always hate much like yourself regarding Dallas and every opposition supporter wants another teams gun rubbed out but he has to go and has way to much power which in part needs the current CBA re written.

Goodell is just a control freak and dick head and his Mrs even started a fake Twitter account to defend him from hordes of NFL fans all over the country representing every team.

The guy is a *******.

It is not just Zeke and I have always been an advocate of do the crime do the time but what exactly has a court found him guilty of???

Tiffany the ex girl friend is about as reliable as a Metro train in Melb and the courts dismissed her as being unreliable but Goodell who is judge , jury and executioner all in one sees it different and gets off suspending players.

Zeke has been found guilty of nothing by the courts and surely this aspect should be first and foremost before the opinion of a league director?

It is not just the Zeke case either and haters will always hate much like yourself regarding Dallas and every opposition supporter wants another teams gun rubbed out but he has to go and has way to much power which in part needs the current CBA re written.

Goodell is just a control freak and dick head and his Mrs even started a fake Twitter account to defend him from hordes of NFL fans all over the country representing every team.

The guy is a *******.
After the Ray Rice fiasco they could not be seen to be going easy on anything anymore, guilty by law or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the Ray Rice fiasco they could not be seen to be going easy on anything anymore, guilty by law or not.

Surely Law comes first and let the Police and Courts sort it out than Goodell can do what he wants.

1 Fiasco does not and should not be a precedent for any future incidents.

Surely Law comes first and let the Police and Courts sort it out than Goodell can do what he wants.

1 Fiasco does not and should not be a precedent for any future incidents.
I don't disagree. But that incident and the backlash meant he had to be seen to be doing something. Unfortunate for someone like Zeke who now cops the backlash from it. Not sure if Zeke did or didn't do something, but he has put himself in some dicey spots recently so may have been a bit of a 'sort your s**t out' ban as well.

The guy is a *******.
What did the courts find Brady guilty of?

It doesnt f**king matter if you are found guilty, or even charged. the NFL found them both guilty of whatever the f**k they want.
If not for the Zeke thing Jerry would be pushing for Rodger to get an extension, because Rodger is almost as greedy as Jerry is.

Lets not forget Jerry bullied the NFL into removing the Cowboys from the leagues shared revenue from merch sales, because Jerry wanted all the money to himself.

Im not saying he is going to be remembered as the best NFL commissioner. Im saying he is better than who is running the other leagues.
like i said he has done some good, and a s**t load more bad. and i dont think anyone else would of done much better.

I dont hate the Cowboys for anything on field, its all the off field s**t like always signing questionable characters that makes me dislike them.

If you want to blame anyone for the Zeke stuff, blame Demaurice Smith for letting the NFL get into the security business. and giving them the power to suspend players [and media] for making the league look bad.

What did the courts find Brady guilty of?

It doesnt f**king matter if you are found guilty, or even charged. the NFL found them both guilty of whatever the f**k they want.
If not for the Zeke thing Jerry would be pushing for Rodger to get an extension, because Rodger is almost as greedy as Jerry is.

Lets not forget Jerry bullied the NFL into removing the Cowboys from the leagues shared revenue from merch sales, because Jerry wanted all the money to himself.

Im not saying he is going to be remembered as the best NFL commissioner. Im saying he is better than who is running the other leagues.
like i said he has done some good, and a s**t load more bad. and i dont think anyone else would of done much better.

I dont hate the Cowboys for anything on field, its all the off field s**t like always signing questionable characters that makes me dislike them.

If you want to blame anyone for the Zeke stuff, blame Demaurice Smith for letting the NFL get into the security business. and giving them the power to suspend players [and media] for making the league look bad.

Letting footballs down and domestic violence are 2 different subjects.

Again with the Jerry hate and just it let it go mate it is ok and concentrate on your own franchise and meaningless board room that are sheep.

Take your hand off it and you have hated Dallas for years on here and are always criticizing every move we have made much more than any Dallas fan even does! From Salary caps / to in game comments / signings / or even someone farting Aussie Dude is up and about!

You should seriously be a Philly fan mate!

Thats not the point.

the NFL has the power to suspend anyone for whatever they want.

Hence the problem we have.

Being accused of domestic violence and bashing Females is never on and should be dealt accordingly but the Courts have no evidence either does Goodell but he wants a suspension anyway cause he can under the current CBA hence the s**t fight.

Brady let some footballs down....................... How the hell is this even in the same ball park discussion wise??

Here's the thing, the court said Greg Hardy didn't have a case to answer despite being guilty as sin because of hush money, Ray Rice was never convicted of anything either.

If the NFL have an inside word (which i 100% believe they do) they will act on it.

I agree it seems harsh on face value, but this isn't Joe Public appearing in court, these are millionaires, enough money can make any problem go away.

Here's the thing, the court said Greg Hardy didn't have a case to answer despite being guilty as sin because of hush money, Ray Rice was never convicted of anything either.

If the NFL have an inside word (which i 100% believe they do) they will act on it.

I agree it seems harsh on face value, but this isn't Joe Public appearing in court, these are millionaires, enough money can make any problem go away.

Dustin Martin likes this post!

While i agree in terms every case is different and should be treated on it's own merits not what has happened in the past and with a knee jerk reaction/ruling which Goodell is applying under the current way the CBA is written cause of no other factor than the fact " He can " /

Remove this Banner Ad

Back