2017 NHL Off Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Movement out of DC has commenced already.
Johansson out the door to NJ for a couple of picks.
About 2 years too late unfortunately. I like MoJo but geez he was a underperformer.
Would of liked to get a bit more for him but in reality he isn't much chop without Kuzy and Backy as support

Pens have had a fair shake up. Bonino, Daley, Hainsey and now Kunitz gone.
Why on earth would they bring in Niemi though

Paying $6.25M/season for "veteran leadership" and power-play (which was already very good)?
His 5v5 production over the past three season would place him in
10th for the Leafs and in that time at 5v5 he has produced a lower pts/60 than Leo Komarov, Mike Fisher, Nick Bjugstad, Shane Doan and Brian Gionta.
Yikes...

Stats c/o @SteveBurtch
He was playing third line a fair bit last year.

Near on exact same ice time with Couture (460), Thornton (406) and Pavelski (466) over the past two seasons, 2014-15 was almost all with Couture.

Auston Matthews was 14 days old when Marleau made his NHL debut.
That's because we roll 3 lines, but quality of line mates was not the same.

Happy with the Radulov signing. He's a bit of a wild card but definitely has the talent to play with seguin and benn. 5 years 6.25 per isn't that steep either...fits our cap pretty well.

We badly needed a top 6 winger and got one.

We've added radulov, Hanzel, methot and bishop in the off season..some good experienced additions.

Hopefully back in the playoffs this year.

One Q alumni out for the Habs, one Q alumni in.

I'll take a fit Hemsky for a season at $1M.
He says he's 100%...

if you can get a healthy season out of him he still has the wheels.

if he plays say 70 games, i think you get numbers like 15-20-35

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burakovsky re-signs for 2 years at $6m.
Have made a couple of other minor signings and maybe a couple more cheapies to come but that's pretty much it for us now

Pens have had a fair shake up. Bonino, Daley, Hainsey and now Kunitz gone.
Why on earth would they bring in Niemi though
Niemi's a great add at virtually league minimum. Horrible starting goalie, but a vet to backup Murray is a good thing.

I wouldn't call the rest a shake up. Kuni was really just holding on to a spot. Bones and Daley will obviously need to be replaced, but I've got faith we can figure that out. And we upgraded Hainsey with Hunwick, so no worries there.

Also, regarding the defence, I completely forgot about Letang coming back, so right now we have a top six that consists of the following: Letang, Maatta, Schultz, Cole, Hunwick, Dumoulin (RFA) & Ruhwedel. Add some more depth there and we're laughing.

Last edited:
I like Kruger to Carolina. I also like the idea of all ex-Blackhawks players in a nice big share house :D

It's interesting, most everyone in Leafland think they have upgraded with Hainsey.
Yeah I'm iffy on that one. If he's a miracle answer to the right side, then yay. But it looks like we've paid 3 mil for 2 years of a 36 year old slow 3rd pair D.

Not thrilled with the Leafs off-season, I felt we've overpaid on nearly every signing (re- or FA) except maybe Dominic Moore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back