SlingshotFooty

Team Captain
May 30, 2015
Folsom, CA
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kansas State, KC Chiefs & Royals

This spreadsheet automatically updates the draft order at the end of each round (usually on the Monday or Tuesday).

During the trade period I will endeavour to keep it as up to date as possible, but I'm only one person so please be patient :)

Tag me if you notice anything that isn't quite right!

Thanks to Final Siren for the use of the Squiggle data and also to DrMike for his input.

Thanks for this....great information!

Trengove compensation pick now taken into account (will probably be reversed with Rockliff compo but for now).

Spreadsheet now up to date with Trengove and Rockliff compensation.

Port received a round two compensation pick (pick 30) for the loss of Trengove, which was then taken back off them after they signed Rockliff.
Brisbane received an end of first round compensation pick (pick 18) for the loss of Rockliff.

Does anyone know where to find full match replays of the u18 championships?
It's not really my area (you might be better to ask on the U18 champs sub-board), but I think some of them are on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/AFLVictoria/playlists

Finally some trades have gone through!

Jake Lever trade:
Adelaide: Pick 10, Melbourne's 2018 1st round pick and Melbourne's 2018 4th round pick*
Melbourne: 35, Adelaide's 2018 3rd round pick

*I have no idea how Melbourne have been allowed to trade out of both the first and later rounds for next year. Possibly they've promised to trade back into one or the other by the end of the trade period, perhaps they got special permission, or maybe that rule they've been advertising on trade radio about it is wrong.

Devon Smith trade:
Essendon: 24, Greater Western Sydney's 2018 2nd round pick
Greater Western Sydney: Pick 11, Essendon's 2018 3rd round pick

To see the 2018 nominal draft order and what picks your club has (currently based on the 2017 ladder) go here:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...nal-draft-picks-based-on-2017-ladder.1179329/

Spreadsheet now sorted by draft position (total number of points) and I've included a column for 'ins' so you know what is included on the spreadsheet and what isn't (it will probably get confusing otherwise).
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 10.51.47 am.png

Sultanpepper

Draftee
Aug 17, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Might be a stupid question, why is there only 17 picks in the first round? If theres 18 teams did one of them go into the negitive last year and have to lose a pick this year?

Might be a stupid question, why is there only 17 picks in the first round? If theres 18 teams did one of them go into the negitive last year and have to lose a pick this year?
GWS were penalised 1000 points from their first round pick as a result of the Whitfield saga. that pick now falls in the mid-60s.

Sultanpepper

Draftee
Aug 17, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
GWS were penalised 1000 points from their first round pick as a result of the Whitfield saga. that pick now falls in the mid-60s.

Yeah thats makes sense thanks, not sure how i forgot about that whole saga last year

*I have no idea how Melbourne have been allowed to trade out of both the first and later rounds for next year. Possibly they've promised to trade back into one or the other by the end of the trade period, perhaps they got special permission, or maybe that rule they've been advertising on trade radio about it is wrong.

The AFL keep poking holes into that rule as if they're trying to turn cheddar into Swiss cheese. First up was last year with Hawthorn being to trade both their first and second round picks because they traded in a different club's second round pick - something that wasn't mentioned in the rule anywhere - and now this which they'll probably justify by Melbourne getting that third round pick back.

At this point I think we can all just assume the AFL doesn't care, the rules are made up and the picks don't matter.

The AFL keep poking holes into that rule as if they're trying to turn cheddar into Swiss cheese. First up was last year with Hawthorn being to trade both their first and second round picks because they traded in a different club's second round pick - something that wasn't mentioned in the rule anywhere - and now this which they'll probably justify by Melbourne getting that third round pick back.

At this point I think we can all just assume the AFL doesn't care, the rules are made up and the picks don't matter.
Yeah that's what I figure too :drunk:

With Hawthorn trading their own second round pick, I'm not sure if that was originally intended. The media reported it as GWS's pick being on-traded initially (whether that was them assuming it was GWS's because of the rule, or if that was what they were told from the clubs/league idk). Either way the trade had to be done, time was up, and the only way it worked was with Hawthorn's own second rounder, so that's how it went down in history. Rule be damned. #tinfoil

AFL gonna AFL, I suppose.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Finally some trades have gone through!

Jake Lever trade:
Adelaide: Pick 10, Melbourne's 2018 1st round pick and Melbourne's 2018 4th round pick*
Melbourne: 35, Adelaide's 2018 3rd round pick

]
I thought they were okay because Adelaide providing their 2018 3rd rounder.

I thought they were okay because Adelaide providing their 2018 3rd rounder.
You'd have to assume that is why the AFL is okay with it, yeah. Makes a mockery of the rule if they're going to keep changing it retrospectively though. It's like trying to build on quicksand.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
You'd have to assume that is why the AFL is okay with it, yeah. Makes a mockery of the rule if they're going to keep changing it retrospectively though. It's like trying to build on quicksand.
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-16/trading-future-picks-wont-compromise-comp

Another complexity is if a club swaps a future round-one pick it cannot also offload later selections in that draft unless it trades back in, and vice versa.

The rule change has given more scope for clubs to make bolder decisions, but with that comes greater risk.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-16/trading-future-picks-wont-compromise-comp

Another complexity is if a club swaps a future round-one pick it cannot also offload later selections in that draft unless it trades back in, and vice versa.

The rule change has given more scope for clubs to make bolder decisions, but with that comes greater risk.
Well that's the whole point of the issue isn't it? They traded out their first rounder as well as a later round pick, which wasn't supposed to be okay, but now it's okay "if you trade back in"....

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well that's the whole point of the issue isn't it? They traded out their first rounder as well as a later round pick, which wasn't supposed to be okay, but now it's okay "if you trade back in"....
So it's not an issue then? That's the rules. Trade wouldn't have been able to be done if Crows didn't give up the 3rd.

Or more to the point, if Melbourne didn't give up its 4th.

Hey mate, I think picks 63 and 64 might be wrong on your graph. I believe North have pick 63 and GWS have 64. I could be wrong but you might want to check just in case.
Hmm, dlanod what are your thoughts on this?

I think what is happening is that when GWS's pick 15 got penalised, every other pick that moved up has also got the draft points associated with it's new position, at least according to the AFL's indicative order. The result of that is North having pick 63 and GWS 64, on their version.

On mine, it works in the reverse of bidding during the draft, so the picks retained their original point values even though they move up the order, so Richmond has moved up to pick 15 and their pick 15 is still worth the points of pick 16 (1067), with the result being that GWS's pick is worth 112 points after the penalty and slots in after pick 63. Prior to the trade period I'm sure that this matched the AFL's version, but I think theirs might've changed around when compensation picks were added?

So is the AFL's new version including an error, or does mine have an error and need to match the AFL's new version?

Hmm, dlanod what are your thoughts on this?

I think what is happening is that when GWS's pick 15 got penalised, every other pick that moved up has also got the draft points associated with it's new position, at least according to the AFL's indicative order. The result of that is North having pick 63 and GWS 64, on their version.

On mine, it works in the reverse of bidding during the draft, so the picks retained their original point values even though they move up the order, so Richmond has moved up to pick 15 and their pick 15 is still worth the points of pick 16 (1067), with the result being that GWS's pick is worth 112 points after the penalty and slots in after pick 63. Prior to the trade period I'm sure that this matched the AFL's version, but I think theirs might've changed around when compensation picks were added?

So is the AFL's new version including an error, or does mine have an error and need to match the AFL's new version?

Gee...

If I had to guess I'd expect the values to move up with draft picks. I don't think the AFL will stuff around with "this pick is forfeited so picks are now worth differently through the rest of the draft".

;)

I'd take the AFL's values as correct given they're the master list. Plus it's inline with my expectations of what the AFL was going to do.

Back