Resource 2017 AFL Draft Order

Round 3:

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 2.46.38 pm.png

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Considering we added 3 promising young mids in spp, atley and drew last draft with a kpp prospect and we have a tonne of promising young players stepping up or looking good like Houston bonner dbj Austin clurey and so on I'm hardly worried about missing a first round. Heaps of young players on our list. Would still love an early pick in this draft but we are not in a position that lack of an early pick will hurt us. To be honest depending on how you look at it we picked up spp last draft instead of having a first pick next draft. That's worth it every day with spps form to start the year.

Every team in Vic would love to have pittard in their team. I suspect several would be chasing him pretty hard. I'm really confident he stays, but even if he doesn't we either get a band 1 pick or force a trade. In which case Geelong would be hard pressed to come up with anything viable trade wise looking at the picks above.

Port have some great young talent coming through, particularly in the midfield with Atley, SPP, Drew and possibly Houston, but I would be definitely trying to get back into the first round if I were Port. Always need to benchmark against the other sides in the comp, and you look at say Richmond who are currently sitting second, they have 2 first rounders next year and St Kilda, who already have some young guns stepping up will potentially have 2 picks in the top 10.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port have some great young talent coming through, particularly in the midfield with Atley, SPP, Drew and possibly Houston, but I would be definitely trying to get back into the first round if I were Port. Always need to benchmark against the other sides in the comp, and you look at say Richmond who are currently sitting second, they have 2 first rounders next year and St Kilda, who already have some young guns stepping up will potentially have 2 picks in the top 10.

I wouldn't be worried about what other clubs are doing at all. As we have seen many times development is more important than picks. How port fares in the near future will be decided more by how we develop this next batch rather than adding more first round picks. And certainly Richmond and saints will need to focus on developing their young players as those first rounders don't mean a lot just yet. Not a swipe at those clubs but they definitely need to improve on developing their youth to maximise those selections because in the past too many are not working out (I'm including port in this group btw that needs to maximise those drafted by developing properly although i feel port has made steps)

But in short port really has no necessity to hit this draft early, it would just be a luxury.

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I wouldn't be worried about what other clubs are doing at all. As we have seen many times development is more important than picks. How port fares in the near future will be decided more by how we develop this next batch rather than adding more first round picks. And certainly Richmond and saints will need to focus on developing their young players as those first rounders don't mean a lot just yet. Not a swipe at those clubs but they definitely need to improve on developing their youth to maximise those selections because in the past too many are not working out (I'm including port in this group btw that needs to maximise those drafted by developing properly although i feel port has made steps)

But in short port really has no necessity to hit this draft early, it would just be a luxury.

I know this measure isn't the be all and end all, but if I look at Port's 22 and under team with AFL exposure vs St Kilda, I think the Saints are ahead in far as youth development. Adding in 2 more top 10 picks at the end of the year will certainly put them in a good position and I think all AFL clubs will be benchmarking off this

FB: Houston ... DBJ
HB: Impey Austin Bonner
C: ... SPP Amon
HF: ... Palmer ...
FF: ... ... ...

1R: ... ... ...

FB: McKenzie Goddard ...
HB: Sinclair ... White
C: Acres Dunstan Steele
HF: Billings ... Lonie
FF: Long McCartin ...

1/R: Pierce Gresham ...

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know this measure isn't the be all and end all, but if I look at Port's 22 and under team with AFL exposure vs St Kilda, I think the Saints are ahead in far as youth development. Adding in 2 more top 10 picks at the end of the year will certainly put them in a good position and I think all AFL clubs will be benchmarking off this

C: ... SPP wines Amon
HF: ... Palmer .howard..
FF: . ... ...

1R: ... ... Snelling

1/R: Pierce Gresham ...

Well this probabaly isn't the place to go into it and it's going to be relatively speculative debate but for starters you are missing dougal Howard , will Snelling and Oliver wines from that list I just corrected.

Your arbitrary cut offs of 22 and having already suited up disadvantage port as well who will no doubt have atley , drew debut his year and possibly lienert as well completely putting port at a list comparison handicap by not using a great draft in the comparison. Marshall for being a long term project is already kicking goals and showing talent at sanfl level against men and he is not substantially worse a prospect than McCartin who you named for the saints.

Anyway, even on the uneven keel you suggested above I'm looking at those names and if I've got to pick a team I'm choosing wines , dbj and spp before any others I don't think that is rose coloured glasses.

I'm not knocking that saints list or even getting into a debate over whose young list is better as it's reasonably subjective but when the argument is port is falling behind other teams in terms of talented youth and falling behind more with lack of picks next year I think we can dismiss that on what I've shown.

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Well this probabaly isn't the place to go into it and it's going to be relatively speculative debate but for starters you are missing dougal Howard , will Snelling and Oliver wines from that list I just corrected.

Your arbitrary cut offs of 22 and having already suited up disadvantage port as well who will no doubt have atley , drew debut his year and possibly lienert as well completely putting port at a list comparison handicap by not using a great draft in the comparison. Marshall for being a long term project is already kicking goals and showing talent at sanfl level against men and he is not substantially worse a prospect than McCartin who you named for the saints.

Anyway, even on the uneven keel you suggested above I'm looking at those names and if I've got to pick a team I'm choosing wines , dbj and spp before any others I don't think that is rose coloured glasses.

I'm not knocking that saints list or even getting into a debate over whose young list is better as it's reasonably subjective but when the argument is port is falling behind other teams in terms of talented youth and falling behind more with lack of picks next year I think we can dismiss that on what I've shown.

I had a bit of time to kill since I put that comment up so I did a bit more work on it to get a bigger picture. Ithink my initial comment still has some validity.. whilst port have good young talent coming through, I don't think they are in a position to ignore the first round of the draft.

I have used an arbitrary cut off as 22 is what I would still consider to be a 'young' player. 23-28 would be a middle aged player, 29 and above would be an 'old' player

The comments you made about who Port have coming into the side can be said about most teams. But as it stands, these are the 22 and unders that have played AFL footy

Port Power

C: ... SPP Amon
HF: ... Palmer ...
FF: ... Howard ...

R: ... Wines Snelling

St.Kilda

R: Pierce Gresham ...

Carlton

FB: Macreadie Marchbank Byrne
HB: Williamson Weitering Plowman
C: Pickett Cripps Cuningham
HF: Silvagni Curnow SPS
FF: ... Jacksh ...

R ... Graham ...

Richmond

FB Drummond Moore ...
HB Short ... Markov
C Menadue Ellis ...
HF Lennon Chol Castanga
FF Rioli ... Butler

R Nankervis ... ...

Hawthorn

FB: Hardwick Heatherly Miles
HB: ... ... ...
C: Hartung O'Meara Howe
HF: ... Burton Stewart
FF: ... Sicily ...

R: Pittonet Lovell ...

Adelaide

FB: Kelly Lever ...
HB: ... ... ...
C: Knight Crouch Milera
HF: Menzel ... ...
FF: ... McGovern ...

R: O'Brien Cameron ...

Collingwood

FB: ... ... Ramsay
HB: Scharenberg ... Maynard
C: Aish Degoey Philips
HF: Crocker ... ...
FF: ... Moore ...

R: ... ... ...

Essendon

FB: ... Francis Gleeson
HB: McKenna ... McGrath
C: Long Merett ...
HF: Langford ... Laverde
FF: Redman ... ...

R: ... Parish ...

Melbourne

FB: Kennedy-Harris O.McDonald Wagner
HB: Hunt Smith White
C: Stretch Oliver Salem
HF: Harmes Hogan Petracca
FF: N-Bullen Weideman ...

R: ... Brayshaw ...

Western Bulldogs

FB: Smith Collins Williams
HB: Webb ... Dale
C: Daniel Bont Dunkley
HF McLean Cordy Honeychurch
FF: Prudden Boyd ...

R: ... Hunter Mcrae

You are right this is prob not the place though..

Last edited:

Maggsy

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Great work Fly I was just thinking about this today and you saved me ages :) Gold Coast are yet again set up beautifully for a draft haul in 2017.. Going into the draft with 4 first rounders including their own, Hawks, Tigers and Freo should put them in a great position for trades / pick upgrades. Personally I hope the Crows end up with those picks :) Means we have won the flag! You beauty!!

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Great work Fly I was just thinking about this today and you saved me ages :) Gold Coast are yet again set up beautifully for a draft haul in 2017.. Going into the draft with 4 first rounders including their own, Hawks, Tigers and Freo should put them in a great position for trades / pick upgrades. Personally I hope the Crows end up with those picks :) Means we have won the flag! You beauty!!
Er, 4 second rounders?!?

vozzon

All Australian
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I get your point but the cost may be too much or wont be worth it.

If last years draft prospects all turn out good then it wont matter too much as we good a 2nd forward and 3 tough mids which helps on the list management side.

While im not keen on it Pittard and Trengrove could leave via Free agency and could get us an early 2nd rounder. Trengrove is good but isnt an A grade in any of his positions so would prefer to lose him and recruit a mature age 3rd tall or trade for one as cover. We have Hombsche, jonas, Clurey and Austin. Dougle Howard will be a backup ruckman also.

Back