2017 Non Crows AFL Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, can Geelongs draw be any softer to start a year for a side that finished in top 4 the previous year - the next few weeks - Collingwood, Gold Coast, Essendon. So of the first 9 games, two against final sides of which one was an Easter Monday game so was always going to be Hawthorn whilst the other was to a finals side which who was always sliding (North)!

They're still to play us twice and GWS twice.

Dear God if we keep bombing the ball to the wall they build against us every time we play them, and in particular like the last time at Shithole Stadium, I will lose my excrement.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. I just hope our coaching team is better than last year as they seem to be doing well this year. We were completely out thought in both games last year.

This is why I make the point. For some reason Adelaide / WCE at home is still their comfort zone. (yes they did lose to the Crows but played well)
Similar to how West coast's comfort zone is playing away in Adelaide against the Crows! Why is it those bastards are usually deplorable at the MCG but always play out of the skin against us in Adelaide?

It almost always involves the Crows kicking it to the WCE.
It actually involves the Eagles delivery to Kennedy and the forward line in general.
Kennedy 5,5,4 goals last three wins in Adelaide. Most of them from set shots after lace out passes. :mad:

It actually involves the Eagles delivery to Kennedy and the forward line in general.
Kennedy 5,5,4 goals last three wins in Adelaide. Most of them from set shots after lace out passes. :mad:
The Hawks triple teamed Kennedy because they realized WC's other tall targets are largely s**t.

Surprised we've never done this

Well if the Essendon game is anything to go by Kennedy will get plenty of the ball lace out.

geelong clearly worry me the most out of all sides. just a classy and smart team. hawkins, menzel,, motlop, dangerwood, henderson and co could expose us again. gws clearly will come into their own later in the season and will be tough but we match up better against them than geelong. we can seriously expose the dogs backline if we dont get shafted by the umpires. and for some reason the eagles worry me as well. seem to always lift against us at adelaide as compared to the hawks at the g (gaff, kennedy in particular)

Yeah .. geelong are a worry .. but they got such a soft ride by the umpires today. Continously diving head first into the opposition and the umps give them the free ...

Interesting how Danger is playing

This year averaging 11 kicks and 20 handballs per game

In previous years been equal

He's not been as damaging until the last quarter

I'm wondering if Geelong hold him back until the last then let him off the leash when the other team is tired and their structures vulnerable.

Regarding WC's bipolar performance, part of it has to be the trip. It takes it out of them to travel as far as they have to, hence their poorer than typical away performance.

It takes it out of all the teams that travel there, hence their better than typical home ground advantage, even acknowledging they seem to get a bit of help umpires wise.

Similarly, I heard people going on about Essendon and Collingwood's poor record after the anzac clash in the last few weeks as though the clash takes it out of them. I haven't checked but as far as I can tell they'd typically be on 5 or 6 day breaks after that game everytime, that prolly doesn't help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting how Danger is playing

This year averaging 11 kicks and 20 handballs per game

In previous years been equal

He's not been as damaging until the last quarter

I'm wondering if Geelong hold him back until the last then let him off the leash when the other team is tired and their structures vulnerable.

They let him off the leash, but its more about not letting him off it early, as they keep him and selwood out of the play so that the younger players gain the ability to handle the responsibility, that way they reduce the incidence of the team depending on dangerwood and the subsequent defeats that occur when those two are shutdown. They are giving the younger kids the first 3 quarters and then late in the game when those kids have done a good enough job, they let those two loose to see what they can do.

They let him off the leash, but its more about not letting him off it early, as they keep him and selwood out of the play so that the younger players gain the ability to handle the responsibility, that way they reduce the incidence of the team depending on dangerwood and the subsequent defeats that occur when those two are shutdown. They are giving the younger kids the first 3 quarters and then late in the game when those kids have done a good enough job, they let those two loose to see what they can do.
Teams probably fall into a false state of contention that they have those 2 covered because they've had little impact.

Then Selwood goes bang in the 3rd and Danger in the 4th.

Keeps them unpredictable. Good tactic.

Geelong don't worry me this year. I'm yet to see a team that really worries me, unlike every previous season. The only thing that worries me is the umpires.

Fortunately, the Crows seem to have found that next level they need to negate the umpire's cheating influence.

Looking good so far.

Interesting thoughts on Geelong guys.

I have been wondering if Geelong and Western Bulldogs are sandbagging a little this year by just playing below themselves a little to keep something in reserve for later when it's really needed.

I have been wondering if Geelong and Western Bulldogs are sandbagging a little this year by just playing below themselves a little to keep something in reserve for later when it's really needed.
I don't think it's playing below themselves.

First of all with the Bulldogs, I just think they're inconsistent but their will gets them over. They finished 7th last year after all.

But the Cats. They actually have a decent team outside the 2 stars. I don't think they intentionally play beneath themselves, but have a tactic to keep them 2 rested until the second half.

A bit like our tactic of not hitting targets in the first quarter just for shits and giggles. Seems like we've binned that idea now which is good.

I definitely think the Bulldogs are keeping it low key.

Geelong I don't think are "that good". But we'll see.

geelong clearly worry me the most out of all sides. just a classy and smart team. hawkins, menzel,, motlop, dangerwood, henderson and co could expose us again. gws clearly will come into their own later in the season and will be tough but we match up better against them than geelong. we can seriously expose the dogs backline if we dont get shafted by the umpires. and for some reason the eagles worry me as well. seem to always lift against us at adelaide as compared to the hawks at the g (gaff, kennedy in particular)
classy? nah, brute-force overachievers IMO.

getting that monkey off our back is even more important than beating Hawthorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back