2017 Non Crows AFL Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I was more referring to how Sanders was telling everyone in the pre-season how good Henderson was going to be at the Hawks and that the real problem in regards to Hendo was actually our club. I was just wondering if it had been re-visited ??

lol no. good point though. He was no different from many others that think we mistreat and can't develop youngsters.

South Australia is the closest state to WA. Some poor team has to play in Perth in round 23. The AFLs reasoning is that its a shorter, less disruptive trip for us/port than it is for the teams based in the eastern states. It sucks, but you can see their logic.
Adelaide is 45 minutes closer than melbourne.

45 minutes. No I can't see their logic. I can see their bias though.

Edit: as has already been pointed out

I think people are being a bit harsh on Gil. Hasn't really done a lot wrong. Stuck his neck out on women's footy, and that's been a huge success. What exactly do people want/wish that he would do? The Essendon Saga was under The previous administration, and I don't think anyone wants him to go back and reopen that can of worms
Gil was actually a big part of the "negotiations". He was in it up to his eyeballs.

Has their been much discussion in this thread about how good Henderson was going to be at Hawthorn this year ?? Genuinely curious ??? I remember reading a lot about it. They dropped him quicker than we did !!
I think earlier in his career he was more physical. . It seemed like after a few concussions he did not want to touch another player.

Sorry, I was more referring to how Sanders was telling everyone in the pre-season how good Henderson was going to be at the Hawks and that the real problem in regards to Hendo was actually our club. I was just wondering if it had been re-visited ??
I seem to recall him just saying it seemed to be a bit silly to be saying Hendo was useless when he was wanted by a club that had just made 4 GFs with 3 wins.

Hey I have my criticisms of the AFL too, but some people in this thread are just so one eyed it's embarrassing
Why should supporters be embarassed for fighting for their team to get a fair go instead of the very real bias towards victorian teams? We're not a basket case of a club like many of the victorian teams luckily, but that doesn't mean that we should be taken advantage of due to our success and loyal supporters.

I know I like taking the piss out of Janus but I'm worried that he really is insane.

He says by the end of the year the rest of the AFL will realise height isn't required in defence, clubs will be clammoring to draft "general" defenders to survive in the new world and then Port will swoop in with their second Rd pick and score a bargain.

WTF.

I know I like taking the piss out of Janus but I'm worried that he really is insane.

He says by the end of the year the rest of the AFL will realise height isn't required in defence, clubs will be clammoring to draft "general" defenders to survive in the new world and then Port will swoop in with their second Rd pick and score a bargain.

WTF.
tumblr_n6ekqwjspK1sv9mvmo3_500.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF.

Clubs aren't stupid. Janus maybe is but thankfully clubs aren't.....well most clubs.

Remove 2 teams from Melb, one goes to NT and one to Tas. And don't say it wont work, those 2 teams would draw double what GC or GWS do. Truly Australian comp. There, just made the fixture easier as there are only 8 teams in Vic now.

They'll draw?

Who gives a s**t about crowds?

QLD and NSW would be 65% of the national advertising dollar. Tasmania and NT are non-entities. That's why second teams in those two markets are essential.

I'm not happy to pay $40 for the worst seat in the house, and nearly one hundred bucks for a good seat. It's ridiculous now.

I'm sure you'd love it if they were free. Who wouldn't?

But the market sets the price. Obviously it's not too expensive because it keeps selling out.

Well, you can ask the AFL representative we've got in here this evening, courageous_tom, if he can take any of your queries for Gil to his desk in the morning.

It's actually been really refreshing have Tom come here with some unpopular common sense.

People end up posting sentimental, romantic rubbish - which is a good thing, I guess. That people think emotionally about this game.

But what Tom posted was just sensible and rational.

Gee the Collingwood situation sparks some passionate debate. Gerard and Robbo staunch in their arguments.

Regardless of what you think of how Bucks and the recruiting team have shaped the list to this point, I don't think Norm Smith could get them out of the hole they're in at the moment. You are just not winning games with a spine of White, Cox, Moore, Schade and Reid.

Gee the Collingwood situation sparks some passionate debate. Gerard and Robbo staunch in their arguments.

Regardless of what you think of how Bucks and the recruiting team have shaped the list to this point, I don't think Norm Smith could get them out of the hole they're in at the moment. You are just not winning games with a spine of White, Cox, Moore, Schade and Reid.

Take a look at this horrendous stat:

David Mackay has kicked the same number of goals in one match as Collingwood's number one forward Darcy Moore has kicked this year.

In fact only two players in their side have kicked more goals than David Mackay this year.

Last edited:
It's gre

It's great isn't it? I hope they keep Eddie and Buckley in charge forever.

Darcy Moore is a future gun though. He just needs some quality kpp to learn from. If he was at the Crows he would be tearing the opposition apart.

They'll draw?

Who gives a s**t about crowds?

QLD and NSW would be 65% of the national advertising dollar. Tasmania and NT are non-entities. That's why second teams in those two markets are essential.
The clubs give a s**t about the crowds smart arse.(A club making more money needs less pumped in to it, in theory) Seems the AFL does too after trumpeting the success of ticket sales for games this week.
And where did I say anything about interstate revenue/markets? I said 2 less vic teams. The only sensible thing you said was that tas and nt are non entity markets.(for tv) But they are traditional markets who don't need to "manufacture" a crowd, or cost as much to start up as they have loyal followers of AFL in those states.
And when u "quote/make up fake news" stats about National advertising dollar don't inflate them to suit your agenda. 65% for QLD and NSW? BS. Vic and NSW maybe but QLD and NSW more like 45%

Is that just your observation that local clubs are dying? From the AFL's 2016 annual report, in the game, market and development section they state that participation is up year on year by 12%. There was a 5% increase in the number of teams across all competitions. Seems pretty healthy to me. The AFL also spent $42m in game development grants and $16m in new markets, up from $39m and $7m the year before.

You like numbers, but as usual, the devil is in the detail. Go do some research and come back to us with the numbers not including "development states". I think you'll find there's a decrease in participation in "traditional" Aussie Rules states.

The AFL also likes using Auskick numbers when talking about junior participation, which is a complete joke. Auskick does not equate to participation. The number of junior clubs is diminishing. You may find that this number increases now that there is a pathway for female footballers, but, in terms of male participation, the numbers will continue to fall.

Forget the numbers the AFL spins out. It's easy enough to do a head count of clubs and teams in SA and compare it to 10 years ago.

How long has Matt Rendell been there now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back