84f3983f52fd665204b9504cf3908bf3.png

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I thought you'd heard the story as to why?

The answer is that other teams would go full on defensive when it looked like they were getting flogged. Hawthorn could have easily beaten Sydney and West Coast by 120+ in 2014 and 2015. Unfortunately, Phil Walsh told Mark Williams that he shouldn't do that at half time because 'it's the grand final and it's a spectacle for the game'. It was after that debacle that Walsh and Williams had a falling out and Walsh went to West Coast.

It's why Williams has never been given a head coaching job anywhere and never will, even though he's a premiership coach and quite good at developing players. He let his assistant and his own ego prevail against what was good for the club he supposedly loved.
Oh, now I am truly concerned for you.

Have you ever spoken to someone about your delusions?

Yeah. So still not his fault,unless you are saying Williams wasn't in charge.

Then thats even worse.

At what point did I say it was his fault? I just said that he told Williams not to go defensive because it was the GF, and Williams listened to him - which is why Williams hasn't got another head coaching job anywhere.

I didn't blame Walsh at all, he was just giving his opinion as an assistant. Williams holds the record because he was too weak and insipid as a head coach to put his side before his ego battle with Phil.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
At what point did I say it was his fault? I just said that he told Williams not to go defensive because it was the GF, and Williams listened to him - which is why Williams hasn't got another head coaching job anywhere.

I didn't blame Walsh at all, he was just giving his opinion as an assistant. Williams holds the record because he was too weak and insipid as a head coach to put his side before his ego battle with Phil.
Williams hasn't had a head coaching gig because he's a loose cannon that no club wants to trust with the top job.

He's had assistant gigs at Richmond and GWS that didn't end well.

If you were half as connected at Port as what you claim to be, you would know that the staff there (both football and office) were glad to see the back of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So 2007 led to Choco not getting another coaching job and yet Port re-signed him in 2009.

More Janus bullshit exposed.

At other clubs obviously. And quite frankly, the board expected Williams to turn down the offer they made to him in 2009 - the issue was that half the board wanted him gone and half didn't want to sack the son of a club legend because they feared supporter backlash. So they put to him a contract that was half his salary, hoping he'd reject it and they would be able to get out of the situation.

But he didn't - once again, because of his ego.

Basically, the issues stemmed from being too soft and not decisive enough on every level.

Or in other words...'meh'.

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
At other clubs obviously. And quite frankly, the board expected Williams to turn down the offer they made to him in 2009 - the issue was that half the board wanted him gone and half didn't want to sack the son of a club legend because they feared supporter backlash. So they put to him a contract that was half his salary, hoping he'd reject it and they would be able to get out of the situation.

Basically, the issues stemmed from being too soft and not decisive enough on every level.

Never knew this, wow that's pretty crazy. Was this when the Port board spent a late night deciding on whether to appoint him with Rucci and the other media waiting outside in the parking lot?

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

So he didn't get another gig because of 2007 and it had nothing to do with the rabble he left Port in?

You must have extraordinary psychic powers to read into the motives of all other clubs as to why he never got another gig.

Or you are just deluded, which is what I'm going with.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
A lot of Brazilian soccer players return home after not being able to adapt to Europe, if I'm not mistaken. Although it's probably a small minority among the total who make the move.

Over here, it's almost always an excuse to avoid the stigma attached to going for the money.

It's almost always about money. Every decent player that comes out of contract will be able to get $150k extra at one of the 9 Melbourne clubs. If they're after cash, then by the time their manager has conducted a dutch auction, they'll be getting at least an extra half million dollars over then next 3 or 4 years.

Roovolution

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Williams won your club it's only flag but here you're calling him weak and insipid. Righto.

pirate bob

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm just relating what happened. It is what it is.
Outstanding if thats actually how it all went down. Walsh rolled the dice with Choco's career .. and Choco agreed to it. He'd already lost, he no longer cared .. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back